PDA

View Full Version : what to book?

luvkatiebug
12-31-2010, 10:26 PM
We are about to pay off our cruise soon, and then we will be able to book "things". My rather important question is what exactly do I need to book? Can someone give me a list of what I need to be concerned about taking care of for our May Cruise? Thanks so much. :mickey:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
01-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Give us some help! Where are you going on your cruise?

TammiMcMan
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
The "things" can include excursions, Palo dinner, Palo brunch, Palo tea, Castaway Cay beach equipment (floats, snorkels), etc. What your choices are depend on your specific cruise.

luvkatiebug
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry, evidently I don't know much about this. We are doing a 4 night cruise on the Dream. We go to the Bahamas and then Castaway Cay. Thanks. :mickey:

BluegrassDaisy
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I have cruised twice on the Wonder, once in February and once in October. I would def book Palo in advance if you want to dine there; I also booked my cabana massage in advance, though on at least one of those trips I remember seeing a sign saying they still had openings. We did not do any excursions in Nassau, our daughter was pretty young the 1st time and the 2nd we just walked around a bit and enjoyed spending time on the ship. I booked a package at Castaway Cay that included bikes, floats and scuba gear, but I feel certain I could have booked that one when I got on the ship. That being said, if there is anything you have your heart set on - I would book as far in advance as possible.

Scar
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't remember "booking" anything and still had a great time, although my Sister did book Palo for us.

TracyL
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
DCL should be sending you some information shortly if they haven't already. It's very helpful and will guide you to register on the DCL web site, where you can read all about all the different options you have.

The main categories of extra options are shore excursions (DCL calls them "Port Adventures"), dining at Palo, spa services (both on the ship and on Castaway Cay), and extra amenities for your cabin. If you didn't book a single thing beyond the cruise itself, you'd still have a fabulous time.

The best way to learn about the shore excursions is to read up about them. Many people who've been to Nassau suggest that you just "wing it" rather than spend for the organized tours. If you do, though, be careful -- make absolutely certain your taxi driver is licensed, and ask how much it will cost to take you wherever you're going BEFORE you get in the car. We got ripped off by a licensed cabbie who charged us $20 for what should have been about a $7 ride. There's nothing worth seeing in Nassau that you couldn't walk to, by the way. We know that NOW! :blush:

We visited Ardastra Gardens and really enjoyed it. It's not for everyone, and if you're expecting AK, you'll be disappointed. But we enjoyed the flamingo show and the fact that you can literally walk around among the flamingos and they just step out of your way. No cages, no bars, no nothing. They have a lot of interesting birds, and feeding the lorikeets is a hoot. I'm glad we didn't do that as part of a tour, because we were able to relax and spend as much time there as we wanted without worrying about catching the bus back.

I agree that reserving one night at Palo is worth it. If you do, see if you can find out ahead of time which restaurant you're in more than once (I think you said you're on a 4-night cruise). We booked Palo on our Animator's Palate night, and so we didn't get to eat there at all. :(

The spa services are quite pricey, but worth if it you like that sort of thing. I had an algae wrap and half body massage treatment that was sublime. Make sure you schedule so it doesn't conflict with anything else you want to do.

Most of all, remember that what's already included is so much great stuff that you won't be able to do it all. Don't miss the stage shows -- they are incredible. They'll also be playing first-run Disney movies on board, so if something is coming out around that time that you want to see, you can save the price of a movie ticket by catching it on board!

TracyL
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, wait -- is the Dream's adult restaurant called Palo? It might not be. That's the one on the Magic and the Wonder, but I think the Dream has something different. Either way, ditch the kids and spend the $15 upcharge and DO IT -- it is totally worth it.

johnO
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh, wait -- is the Dream's adult restaurant called Palo? It might not be. That's the one on the Magic and the Wonder, but I think the Dream has something different. Either way, ditch the kids and spend the $15 upcharge and DO IT -- it is totally worth it.

The Dream has Palo (Italian) and Remy (French), both upscale, $20 for Palo, $75 for Remy