PDA

View Full Version : Our Holly Jolly (Pre) Christmast Trip--Day 3

southerngirl
12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Monday, December 20th--Part 1

DH and I were up bright and early again this morning. DS also woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed. He still had a runny nose, but his temperature was normal. The weather outside had also slightly improved to upper 60s with few clouds and no misty rain.

We went down to the lounge for breakfast. DS had a cup of yogurt, fruit and some Fruit Loops (which he called "Os"), and DH and I enjoyed some fruit and muffins and coffee. The lounge staff were kind enough to give us some gold fish to take with us to the park with our Mickey pretzels from the day before, and with those and some Diet Cokes and water from the cooler, we were all set for the morning. We just had to decide where to go!

This is where we hit a slight snag. I originally made ADRs for lunch at Chefs de France and dinner at Hacienda de San Angel, but DH decided that he didn't want to have a big meal for both lunch and dinner. So, we canceled the lunch ADR. Then, DH said that he thought we should spend the morning at the Studios. DS really likes Wall-E, and we had been on the lookout for some Wall-E merchandise for Christmas. So, we thought the Studios would b be the best place to look. I hadn't been there in probably 10 years, but I also assumed that there would be at least a few things for a toddler to do. So, we packed up and headed down to the bus stop. Fortunately, a Studios bus was pulling up just as we arrived, and we hoped on.

We arrived at the Studios around 9:30. Boy, were the crowds entering thick! We made our way down the main boulevard stopping in the shops (nothing Wall-E related). Then, we realiezd we had no idea where we were going. We found a map and decided to go over to the big hat, since I remembered a lot of characters were there. We tried to get in line for Donald and Daisy, but they had just closed it. We then went over to Minnie Mouse--same thing. So, we decided to go on the Great Movie Ride while we waited for the characters to come back out. It was okay, but DS got a little freaked out by the Alien scene.

After the ride, DS and I went back and got in line for Daisy and Donald. We were the second people in the line and had to wait about 15 minutes. DH decided to walk over to Pixar Place to see if he could scout out some Wall-E stuff and also to see what the wait time was for the Toy Story ride. The look on his face when he came back told me everything--no Wall-E merchandise, and the FPs were all gone for the ride, and the wait was 70 minutes. I wasn't too disappointed about the ride, since DS had hated Buzz the day before, and I thought it would be similar. However, I was starting to get frustrated with the Studios. Aside from the character visits, we just couldn't find anything for DS to do. He isn't into shows, and we couldn't figure out other rides for him.

We saw Donald and Daisy and then Minnie Mouse, and then we happened to see DS's two favorite characters--Chip and Dale. We were fortunate enough to be the next to last people in their line before it closed. DS loved his visit with them. So, that made the trip to the Studios worthwhile. After that, we walked back to Pixar Place. DH said a CM had told him there was one store (AFI) that might have Wall-E merchandise. Boy, was that place difficult to find! When we finally found it, we discovered that there was nothing Wall-E there. Feeling frustrated and hungry, we decided to find some lunch and then head out. I think we've decided it'll be several more years before we conquer the Studios again!

We ended up at the Backlot Express. We used another 30% off coupon. DS and I had chicken nuggets, and DH had the turkey panini. DH and I once again shared a Diet Coke. The bill was about $20. DS ate his entire lunch (nuggets, applesauce and carrots), plus some of his snacks from the lounge and a banana. I ate about half of my nuggets and two bites of DH's sandwich. The sandwich was the definite winner, but it wasn't stellar, just better than average. Plus, the restaurant was just jam-packed, and we were seated by a door that stayed open every time someone went out. So, it wasn't terribly enjoyable. I think we'd all give the Backlot Express a C+.

part 2 to follow!

southerngirl
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Day 3--Part 2

After lunch, we headed out of the Studios and caught the boat to Epcot. It took about 30 minutes and made several stops, but we all enjoyed the break. Plus, we loved going into the "back door" of Epcot.

Our first stop was England. DS saw Mary Poppins, Tigger and Pooh and was in heaven. Then, we walked back to France and grabbed two almond pastries in the bakery to eat later. We were trying to find DS a popsicle, but we weren't having much luck in WS, so we walked to Future World and found one near Spaceship Earth. While DS ate his popsicle, DH and I split one of the almond pastries. It was delicious! I think it was called a pithivier. If you like almonds, GET THIS PASTRY!!! :cloud9:

After our snack, we took DS on Spaceship Earth, which he loved (he especially thought seeing Mommy and Daddy as "puppets" at the end of the ride was hilarious). Then, we walked over to the Seas and rode with Nemo. This was another hit with DS, and we probably spent 20 minutes viewing the aquarium tanks afterward.

We thought about going into The Land, but it was mobbed, so we decided to just stroll through World Showcase and see what we could do. We rode the boat ride in Mexico (DS loved it), thought about riding the ride in Norway, but didn't want to wait 20 minutes and then visited the shops in Germany, Japan and Italy. I was hoping to find some really cute wooden Christmas ornaments in Germany (I have several that my grandmother bought me when she went to Germany), but they only had glass ones. So, we were out of luck. I always love to see the sushi plates in Japan and always think about buying them, but, as always, I declined this time, too.

DS was starting to get hungry, and so we decided to walk back to Mexico to see if we could get in early for our ADRs at the Hacienda. We got there around 5:15 (ADRs were for 6:30), and we were given a pager. DS and I went and visited with Donald in his Mexican outfit while we waited. The pager went off around 5:45, and we were seated in a great place by the window.

I'd heard a lot about the margaritas here, so I ordered the rose petal one. It was really interesting, but I'm not sure I'd order it again, mostly because it was $13, which I think is insane for any drink. Still, I'm glad I tried it. DH and I decided to split the botana appetizer (a cheese empanada, a chicken tostada and some type of pork thing), and we both ordered the shrimp tacos for our entree. DS had the kids chicken tacos. We all enjoyed the chips and salsa, and DH and I thought the empanada and chicken tostada from our appetizer were very good. The pork one was just okay. We also loved our shrimp tacos. They came with rice and beans to share, but I couldn't eat them because I was so full. DH ate them and loved them. DS seemed to love his tacos, too. This ended up being one of our favorite meals of the entire trip. It was pricey (the total including tip was $99), but we felt it was worth it. We'd give this place an A and will definitely be back!

After dinner, we decided to head back to the Poly. We'd been gone from the room all day, and we all felt that we needed an early night. We arrived around 7 and found some characters (Pluto and Goofy, I think) outside O'hana. After a short visit with them (DS was once again happy as a clam), we went back to the room and gave DS a bath and put him to bed. DS was thrilled to find a plush Chip and Dale (a gift from the club level staff) and another towel animal waiting for him.

We'd missed the snacks and appetizers in the lounge that day, and DH reported that the desserts in the lounge were a repeat of the previous night (I wonder if they put out different things later and were just using up the left-overs from the previous night at first). However, I didn't check, because I'd arranged a special treat for DH. He absolutely LOVES the white chocolate mousse they serve in the lounge, and with the help of the club level staff, I'd placed an order for him through Private Dining. (It cost $17, with tip.) It arrived promptly at 8:30 displayed with some beautiful fruit garnishes. I wish I could say it was delicious, but I didn't even get a single bite! DH ate every last bit. I was glad to let him, though, since it was a surprise for him. While he was enjoying his treat, I grabbed a cookie and coffee in the lounge and then turned in for the night.

faline
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Seems like the characters are a big hit with your little guy!

What a nice end of day treat for your husband!

PrettyMinnie
12-29-2010, 10:22 PM
What a nice treat for your DH! Lucky guy. Glad to hear your DS is so thrilled with the characters!

pdrlkr
12-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DizNee143
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
another great day! and what a nice treat for your hubby!!:mickey:

KylesMom
01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Thank goodness DS is feeling ok today!

For your young one, you're right - I know they're updating Playhouse Disney, but there aren't a lot of engaging things for toddlers at DHS other than the character meet and greets. Once he gets older, he might appreciate Indiana Jones Stunt Show & Lights Motors Action Extreme Stunt Show - and even the Jedi Training show. At least you were able to meet some fun characters he loved! When DS was your son's age, we stumbled across Star Wars Weekends during our visit - whereby the kid was in absolute heaven the whole time - so I know what a difference the characters can make!

I had to comment on the dessert you ordered for DH - what a wonderful idea! I may need to check on something like that for an anniversary surprise for DH this next trip.

Thanks for sharing another fun day! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
01-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Great day for your little guy! Lot's of character interaction for him!
Enjoyed your review of La Hacienda, DW and I are planning an upcoming trip and have been wondering if we should give it a try.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Great report, we'll have to try the new Mexican restaurant

vizsla
01-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the report.