PDA

View Full Version : travel time from POP to HoopDeeDoo

KeriWDE
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
We (2 kids and myself) arrive at Orlando airport at 3:30ish on Friday Feb 25. I have ADR for the 7:15 HoopDeeDoo that night. Is my WDW optimism fooling me into believing that we will be able to make that reservation?

My husband is likely flying in on a separate flight. It is POSSIBLE (optimism again) that we will meet up on the same flight from ATL to Orlando, but I won't know that until the week before. So, I will be solo in getting the kids from the airport to POP and HDD and meeting him there.

I've almost convinced myself that we will be too rushed for time and should do something else for dinner that night. Which is not ideal, since it's the only night we have free enough to eat outside the parks.

Strmchsr
12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

That would be rushed, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. If you're flight lands at 3:30 DME should have you to your resort by 5:00. Then you drop your stuff and ride to DTD by 5:45 or so and catch the bus over to Ft Wilderness for HDD and you should be there by 6:30-6:45. Again, that's moving flat out from the time your plane touches down, so you may not want to be that rushed, but it's not impossible or overly optimistic to think you'll make it.

Buttercup
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Well, let's say everything runs perfectly smoothly and wonderful for your flight, and you land at 3:30. Your airplane still has to taxi to the gate, you've got to deplane... so you're not actually walking off the airplane until around 3:45.
Then, you've got to get down to the Magical Express area (another 5-10 minutes) and register. Let's say everything works out and your resort bus pulls up right then, and there's enough room for you guys so you don't have to wait for the next one. You've got at least a 45 minute drive to your hotel, but let's play devils advocate and say it's 60 minutes.
You're now at around 5:00pm.
You've got to check-in at your resort, and get your keys, etc. so that's another 15-20 minutes.
Your luggage won't be delivered to your room for another couple hours, so hopefully you've packed everything you need in your carry-on. You can give yourself about 30 minutes to get ready at the MOST. At 6:00 latest, you'll have to be getting on a bus to the Magic Kingdom. From there, you'll have to transfer to the ferry to Fort Wilderness. On a good day, that journey will take you about an hour, but if you miss a bus and have to wait for the next one, etc. that will delay you some more.

I would say it is possible, but you're going to feel rushed and stressed if buses don't show up right away, or you're waiting in lines to check-in at the hotel.

If you REALLY want to make your reservations, maybe it would be worth taking a taxi or town car from the airport to POP, WITH your luggage so you don't have to wait.

DisneyFr33k
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I would say you'd have time. POP is close to AK, so if you want to travel there to catch a bus to FW, that might be another option.

KylesMom
12-29-2010, 12:17 PM
While I think you could make it if everything is on schedule, keep in mind that if your flight is delayed for any reason - and in February anything is possible - you may end up missing the reservation that you've paid for, and you won't get that money (or dining credits) back.

Heck, in July we ended up being delayed for about 9 hours out of Chicago for weather-related reasons! Is there a later show that night you could possibly attend, or would that be too late for your kids?

One last thing - Welcome to INTERCOT!

Strmchsr
12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
If you REALLY want to make your reservations, maybe it would be worth taking a taxi or town car from the airport to POP, WITH your luggage so you don't have to wait.

I don't think a taxi or town car saves a ton of time from the airport, especially when you have to wait on your luggage, whereas with DME you don't, but a taxi from Pop to Ft. Wilderness would save significant time. Probably 30+ min.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
You will be rushed.Its all possible but if one thing gos wrong you will be late.Why not go to the late show that way you have no worries.Good luck.

BigThunderFan
12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I would definitely go with the taxi from Pop to FW. As long as your flight is not delayed you will be ok, but there is always that chance... :confused:

KeriWDE
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. I needed to get reactions from others who would know that sort of thing. :thumbsup: I am always surprised at how long it takes to get anywhere at WDW. :mickey:

My gut has been telling me that I'd be rushed like mad or just plain late - therefore OUT OF LUCK - if I tried to make the 7:15 show that first night.

There are just too many variables involved in getting there on time, and the consequences are too high if we don't make it.

So, I have cancelled the ADR for HDD, and we will play it by ear. If we get there and there is plenty of time, while checking in at Pop, I'll ask them to get us a table. If not, then we'll eat in the food court or go to DTD and maybe ride the monorail for an hour or two. I would love to get my son in the front and get his pilot's license. :mickey:

PopPhan
12-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I would say you'd have time. POP is close to AK, so if you want to travel there to catch a bus to FW, that might be another option.

That may not be an option due to the early closing times for AK.....

Strmchsr
12-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I would love to get my son in the front and get his pilot's license. :mickey:

I'm sorry, but that's not allowed anymore. Ever since the CM piloting the monorail was killed last year they have eliminated riding in the front. That probably won't ever come back.

KeriWDE
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm sorry, but that's not allowed anymore. Ever since the CM piloting the monorail was killed last year they have eliminated riding in the front. That probably won't ever come back.

AW PHOOEY!!! At least we have 1 Official Monorail Pilot in the family! I'm glad you told me beforehand. It would have been unpleasant to tell the 4 y-o that he was going to get to drive it and then disappoint him.