PDA

View Full Version : Our Holly Jolly (Pre) Christmas Trip--Day 2

southerngirl
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Sunday, December 19th-Part 1

Why is it that, when I'm on vacation at WDW, I can never manage to sleep past 7? This morning was no exception. DH and I were up by 6:30. DH got dressed and went to the lounge to grab some breakfast items (fruit, croissants and a mini bagel and coffee) while I tiptoed around the room, trying not to wake up DS. (Side note--at home DS still sleeps in his crib, but we are trying to transition him, so at WDW, we decided to let him sleep in a "big boy bed." It worked like a charm, and now he says he wants a "big boy bed like at Mickey Mouse's house.")

DS woke up right around 7, and boy was he cranky. I forgot to mention that between dinner and putting him to bed the night before, we rode the monorail loop (DS LOVES the monorail), and we stopped at the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house. We noticed Mickey and Minnie were there in their holiday attire, so we let DS get his picture made. He loves the characters! The result was that he didn't get back to the room and into bed until 9, which was a good 90 minutes past his usual bed time. Plus, I noticed the day before that his nose was running, and I began to suspect that he might be coming down with a cold. So, when he woke up cranky, I took his temp, and, sure enough, it was slightly elevated (100.5, which is right on the fever point for children). DH and I talked about what to do, and we decided to give him some ibuprofen and see how the morning went. DS was still a little groggy and grouchy after breakfast, but we bundled him into his stroller and decided to see what his mood was after a couple of hours in the MK.

We arrived at the MK just after opening at 8. It was cool and misty outside, so not a lot of people were there. We visited with Daisy and Pluto (DS loved them) in the hub on Main Street, and then we went on into Fantasyland. We pretty much did everything in Fantasyland by 9:30, and then we rode HM. By that time, DS was asking for a snack. I usually grab something for him to snack on in the parks in the lounge the day before, but we arrived just after snack time ended the day before, and I forgot to ask the lounge staff for a goody bag the previous evening. So, we ducked into the little kitchen store near Haunted Mansion and bought him a bag of Mickey pretzels. They were delicious, and the bag was enormous and came with a zip top closure, so we were all pleased with that purchase.

DS started to perk up considerably after his snack, so we walked over to the Christmas shop and let him pick out an ornament to have personalized (a tradition). He was so cute and went right up to a bright red and gold one shaped like Mickey ears and said "I want this one please Mommy." We had his name and 2010 added and then arranged to have it delivered to our room at the Poly (a perk of staying club level is direct room delivery of purchases). That task accomplished, we decided to go and use our FP for Buzz. DS was NOT very happy with Buzz this year. I think all the spinning and loud noises didn't agree with him. So, after Buzz, we decided to look for a quiet place.

We'd received several of the 30% off dining coupons, and it was around 11:30, so we decided to walk back to Liberty Square and eat at the Harbor House. The place was really starting to get full, I think because a lot of people were taking advantage of the coupon. They were enforcing the "no holding tables until you get your food" rule, which was sort of tricky with a cranky 2 yr old. But, DH discovered a small table near the line that the CMs had set up with coloring sheets and crayons, and he took DS over there to let him color while I stood in line. That took FOREVER! The CM directed me to a counter where there was only one family in front of me, but they were from Argentina, and they were having a really hard time deciding what to order. Ten minutes later (no kidding), they finally finished placing their order. I ordered DH the fish and chicken nuggets meal. DS got the kids chicken nuggets, and I got the Lighthouse sandwich. DH and I shared a Diet Coke, and with the discount, our meal ended up costing about $17.00. The food was good for CS, although my sandwich had way too much mayo in the slaw, so I only ate about 1/2 of it, but I hate that they give kids those pressed meat chicken nuggets instead of the breast nuggets that are in the adult meals. I made DH give half of his nuggets to DS and then eat the other half of DS's nuggets. DS was happy with the nuggets and the applesauce and grapes that he got with his meal. Overall, I think for counter service, the Harbor House is a solid B+.

DS was starting to perk up a lot now, and he didn't feel hot at all, so we decided to see if we could accomplish a few more things before leaving the park. We did Pirates, Jungle Cruise and then walked through the shops on Main Street. DS discovered the little set of die cast busses and had to have them. He played with them the entire trip and now takes them in his little back pack whenever we go in the car. (He calls them "Mickey Mouse's School Bus.") By that time, it was around 2, and the park was starting to fill up considerably. Plus, we'd accomplished pretty much everything we wanted to do at the MK, so we headed back to the Poly on the monorail.

Part 2 to follow!

southerngirl
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Sunday, December 19--Part 2

We arrived back at the Poly in time for snacks in the lounge. They were the standard gold fish, yogurt covered pretzels, gummy bears, apples/bananas/oranges, and cookies that the lounge serves every day. I think they also might have had out some sort of snack mix with nuts and dried fruits. We gave DS a big bowl of gold fish and some lemonade (which he calls a "fizzy drink," for some reason) and enjoyed a little down time in the completely desserted lounge. I'm pretty sure that DS also had a big popsicle from Captain Cook's. Popsicles are his favorite treat, and since he wasn't feeling 100%, we decided to indulge him.

After our snack, we went back to the room to consider the rest of our day. The MK closed at 7 for the last night of the Christmas party, and since DS had been under the weather (although his temp was now normal, he still had a runny nose), we didn't feel like taking him to another park. I had made dinner ADRs at Artist Point, but DH looked at the menu and decided that he didn't want to go there. No problem. We canceled those and made ADRs for 6:50 at one of our favorites--the Grand Floridian Cafe.

Around 4:45, we went back to the lounge, because DS wanted to see the big Christmas tree. We got the little couch and table right next to it, and I peeled an orange from the fruit basket in the lounge and convinced him to eat it (trying to force some extra vitamin C in him). He was happy as a clam. DH got us a few appetizers. They were just okay that night (chicken satay skewers, duck potstickers, Asian slaw and the standard fruits, cheese, hummus, veggies and uncrustables), but I knew we were going to the Grand Flo for dinner, so I didn't care. What was amazing though was that right after 5, the lounge filled to capacity. Every seat was taken, and people were being very piggy with the appetizers, too. I saw at least two men with cafeteria trays filled with plates. The only thing we could figure was that people were going to the Christmas party and taking advantage of the lounge to use it for dinner. We quickly gathered our things and gave our table to a poor couple juggling plates and wine glasses.

After a quick stop back in the room to grab the stroller and DS's little back pack, we hopped the monorail to the GF. We were very early, but we thought the characters might be out again. They weren't, but we had our picture made in front of the Christmas tree. Then, DS was asking for another popsicle, and I wanted to purchase a couple of things from the gingerbread house and visit the shops. DH took DS over to the Gasparilla for a popsicle (pineapple this time) while I shopped. I saw a beautiful Lacoste wallet in the Summer Lace shop that wasn't too outrageously priced, and I made a mental note to show it to DH later in the week. Then, I got in line for the gingerbread house, which was another exercise in patience. The line was short but moved achingly slow, I think because people were very indecisive. I bought a gingerbread shingle for myself and a chocolate Mickey for DS's stocking :secret:. I have to say that the shingle was pretty disgusting (very dry and cakey and not at all sweet), but at least I tried it. I just wish it hadn't cost $7!

Shopping finished, I went over to Gasparilla and met up with DH and DS, who was absolutely in heaven with his popsicle. We decided to see if the Cafe could get us in early for our ADR. We were in luck. We were seated right away (about 30 minutes before our ADR). DH and I decided to get appetizers. I had the onion soup, and DH had the strawberry salad. Both were good. The soup was a tad bit too salty, and the salad had too much dressing for my taste (I prefer to get it on the side), but DH loved both and ate the majority of them by himself. For entrees, DH ordered the roasted chicken, and I had the salmon. Both were good, but my salmon was a tad dry. DS wanted the cheese pizza, and I relented, since we were on vacation, and since it came with a fruit cup and some veggies. We had a very sweet waitress who thought our DS was just the most adorable child she'd ever seen (who am I to argue?). She brought DS his meal with our appetizers, and she thought it was just adorable that he cleaned his plate and then handed it to her and said "thank you." She brought him a little vanilla Mickey cupcake as a special treat. DS doesn't care for cupcakes, but DH and I enjoyed it immensely. It was so moist and flavorful! We ate every single bite. I think our bill, with tip, was $70, and I'd give the meal a B+/A-.

After dinner, we took another ride on "Mickey's train" (the monorail) back to the Poly. We gave DS a bath and let him watch some of a Christmas cartoon on tv before he feel asleep. DH then went to the lounge and grabbed a few desserts (passion fruit mousse cups, passion fruit tarts and Mickey whoopie pies). Once again, I didn't care for them, but I did get a decaf latte and a chocolate chip cookie. Around 10, I heard the fireworks start, so I snuck back down and watched them from the lounge. Tonight, you could see them clearly, and they were beautiful! They didn't pipe the music into the lounge, I think because they don't have the Christmas music for the show in the lounge, but it was still a lot of fun to see. After the show, it was off to bed to get ready for our second full day of fun!

cer
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
What a great day!

I wish I were on 'Mickey's Train' right now! :mickey:

faline
12-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Hope the chance to rest up this evening helps your son get back to his normal self! Very nice and quite relaxed day!

Disney4us2
12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Very nice day. Hope you DS's runny nose doesn't turn into a bad cold. Funny about the cupcake. My DD does not care for cupcakes either. All week long she kept getting one for her birthday. We finally stopped telling them about her birthday...lol

pdrlkr
12-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

PrettyMinnie
12-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks for reporting! I love the little side notes about you DS. Adorable!

DizNee143
01-03-2011, 11:16 PM
besides your sons slight fever..sounds like you really made the most of your day..you managed to get alot done and eat a lot of yummy food!:mickey:

KylesMom
01-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Why is it that, when I'm on vacation at WDW, I can never manage to sleep past 7? Ha, DH and I are the same way . . . except our internal alarms are closer to 6. :confused: Some days it really would be nice to sleep in, wouldn't it?!

I sure hope that other than a few sniffles DS continues to improve. That would be a real bummer if the little guy came down with something more serious!

Sounds like dining was a mixed bag today - except for those Mickey pretzels. :thumbsup: Overall, a good day at Disney once DS started to feel like himself! :mickey:

southerngirl
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for reading everyone!

DS was much better the rest of the trip. He didn't have a fever the rest of the time, but he did wake up our next to last night with a really nasty cough. I gave him some medicine and, being the paranoid mom that I am, sent him to the pediatrician the morning we got home, but the doctor said that he was fine. It was just a cold, which I also caught on Christmas Eve (but was also fine for Christmas).

Yes, we did eat a lot of yummy food! I'm a pretty healthful eater at home, but at WDW, I like to graze and also to share different food items. DH isn't a big guy, but he can eat a lot, so we make a good team. DS is also a big eater for a 2 yr old. We always have to order him his own meal!

DisneyorBust
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Gladto read that your son's cold didn't get worse, no one should be ill in WDW!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a good day, thanks for the report

vizsla
01-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.