PDA

View Full Version : First visit with an infant. Advice?

The Flying Dutchman
12-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey all. DW and I are bringing our 5 month old daughter to Disney for her first trip in about a week! We are extremely excited to share our place with her, but as the trip has gotten closer and closer, some anxiety about bringing a 5 month old on a week long trip to WDW has arisen. While I am sure this has been asked before, I wasn't able to find it in the search history.

Anyone have any great advice for us on bringing a 5 month old to Disney World?:mickey:

kakn7294
12-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Take your own stroller - much more comfortable than the Disney strollers. Get a rain cover if possible. Take plenty of diapers and baby supplies. These are available at the parks and resorts but in limited quantities and are expensive. Baby care centers are great for a break, diaper changes and feedings. If you are staying in the parks all day, plan to ride things she can't while she's napping in her stroller. Baby swap and use single rider lines and fastpass at these times. Have fun and enjoy your trip from your daughter's perspective. It gives a whole new side to the magic!

faline
12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babytips.asp) some additional information that might be helfpul.

teambricker04
12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Yea! I LOVED LOVED LOVED taking our boys when they were infants. They liked to look at everything, were taken around easily, and could nap in the stroller.

I will never forget how much my youngest spit up at that age. Make sure to bring extra clothes to the park and even a wash cloth in a zip bag. When it is warm out and they spit up, they get stinky!

Make use of the baby centers... they are worth the extra walk to get to one.

Loads of diapers! We actually always shipped ours down ahead of time so we didn't have to lug them... diapers, wipes, first aid kit, medicine, and baby food.

The other thing we always found beyond handy was our baby bjorn. The baby could sleep through rides or get a good view and my hands were still free to eat and hold hands with DH.

The last thing we found that even though our boys were babies and on a pretty good eating schedule, they often were far more hungry on trips because of all the activity were were doing and the hot weather. The first night with our oldest after a long day at the park he woke up HUNGRY. I mean STARVING hungry. We fed him and he STILL cried and cried and cried. We fed him again and then he was much better and fell back asleep. I was not prepared for that at all!

Over all have a good relaxing time :)

kakn7294
12-29-2010, 06:21 PM
The other thing we always found beyond handy was our baby bjorn. The baby could sleep through rides or get a good view and my hands were still free to eat and hold hands with DH.

I forgot that! Baby carriers are great for waiting in lines, making sure baby is secure on attractions, and eating!

Disney Doll
12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
We've always had great experiences with our boys as infants. You've got some great advice so far. I completely agree with everything that has been mentioned. I like grocery delivery services for all the baby necessities (diapers, wipes, food). In January it can be pretty chilly especially after sundown so just be mindful of the variable weather...dress in layers, bring a blanket for the stroller, keep a hat in the diaper bag, etc. It's really not as daunting as it seems to travel with an infant. Just pace yourselves and enjoy your first family trip!

eandrsmom
12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I loved taking my kids at that age. A five month old is MUCH easier than a toddler. All of the parks have Baby Care Centers for supplies, or just some quiet time for feeding. I used Garden Grocer to deliver diapers, wipes, water, and baby food. Believe it or not, babies can ride most rides in the MK. My kids slept through a lot of them. Bring your own stroller. Disney strollers aren't good for infants, and you'll need one for your resort. You'll do fine, have fun!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Practice folding and unfolding your stroller if it's new so one of you can do it quickly when hopping on and off buses. I see some parents struggling to hurry and I feel for them as they're trying to board together. Also--I assume it will be nice and cool this time of year, but I always worry about the little ones getting sunburned with little arms and legs sticking out, so... Have fun and make lots of memories! :wave:

fabfundisney
01-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I as well agree with everything that has been said. To add: buy a portable fan that will clip on to the baby stroller....Disney can be hot for a little one. Also, be sure to pack sanitizer wipes. There is nothing worse than touching a dirty rail and looking down to see that you need to tend to your baby. You will want to eliminate those germs as soon as possible!

markyv
01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
another vote for shipping supplies. this comes in really handy.

finaldynasty
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I agree with the PP. I would also add that at that stage and until my DKs were about 5 we brought 2-3 outfits a day, so if they spit up, drool, get food on their clothes we had a quick back up outfit. I would also add that my DW found that she did not care for carring a diaper bag, but preferred a back pack, which I usually carried. We have used a Jan Sport for our past three trips and it has been wonderful. There is space for camera, diapers, wipes, etc.

Have a wonderful trip!