PDA

View Full Version : On Board Tipping

LorrieP
12-28-2010, 11:01 AM
How much should I plan on tipping on board ship?? We took a Carinval cruise years ago and we had to tip the maitre d', the waiter, the people who clean your room, etc. I would like to know how much to plan on.

Thanks

DizneyRox
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Many cruise lines now offer pre-paid tipping, and that's generally what you should tip.

Way back when I think it was $3 for the waiter and the cabin steward, $1.50 for the assistant server, and the maitre d' was whatever you felt like.

We've been doing the pre-paid gratuity which they give you a stub and you give that to each person. It makes things easier, especailly if you don't want to keep money on hand.

Divide the pre-paid amounts by the number of nights, and that's the recommended tipping currently.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
You have the option on the Disney cruise of giving cash, or charging it to your room.

From the Disney Cruise site, here are the details:

Dining Room Server $4/night per person
Dining Room Asst. Server $3/night per person
Dining Room Head Server $1/night per person
Stateroom Host/ Hostess $4/night per person

Other "optional" gratuities include:
Dining Manager, Room Service & Spa Services

More details can be found here (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/)

susie & perla's mom
12-29-2010, 10:58 PM
how about at Palo?

Ed
12-29-2010, 11:08 PM
how about at Palo?

At your discretion. We usually do $15~$20 per person depending on how the service was.

18sprint
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Tips are not mandatory, but highly, highly recommended. As stated above, there are several ways to pay them. On the last day, you'll recieve envelopes that have the "titles" of each person and you can put what you want in them. We simply put the money in their respective envelopes and handed them to the appropriate people on our last night. Tips are very important to the people who help give us a great cruise, but also keep in mind that the survey is even more important.

ElenitaB
12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Since Palo was brought up, I've always wondered about whether people still tip their "everyday" servers for the night they've dined away. On our first cruise, there was an entire table that only showed up on formal night (wearing shorts and tank tops no less). While I tend to think that that crowd wasn't at Palo every other night of the cruise, all of us at our table felt pretty badly for our servers, knowing that they would be missing out on an entire table's tips for the cruise.