PDA

View Full Version : Original Ending to COP?

Disdad13
12-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I was listening to Live365 and heard the COP, and got to wondering - when Walt originally put COP together for the World's Fair, did it just end one scene early? Assuming it did, when was the last scene added? Just curious...:confused:

DizneyRox
12-27-2010, 04:56 PM
The CD set Walt Disney and the 1964 World Fair offers a lot of information and audio regarding the early versions of the COP.

It's still available and worth every penny. Bootleg copies circulated for years prior to the official Disney version, both are actually a good addition to any music collection.

PETE FROM NYC
12-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Ah yes , the original at the Worlds Fair. I had seen it several times. But after over 44 years, I can't remember too much. One thing that I do recall was at the end, guests exited forward through the stage to a General Electric Showroom displaying washers, dryers, TVs and other GE products.

Ian
12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
The finale scene you see now is probably the third of fourth version. From what I can remember, the original show (the World's Fair version) had a 1960's era ending. The move to Walt Disney World came with the change from "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" to "Now is the Time" and an update to a 1970's era ending.

In '81, there was another update to an 80's era Christmas. I think the version we have now came in the early 90's ('93 maybe?). Along with the new ending, we also got new narrators and a return of a (modernized) Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

Personally, I think it's time for another update. ;)

Polynesian Dweller
12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes, ian, I remember it as a 1960's ending and then you entered GE's display area where you could see the fabulous new appliances of today (the 60's) and the then near future. I was at the 1964 World's Fair and most of the exhibits and rides were about promoting the sponsor's products and this was no exception with the not so hidden message that GE had been improving the household throughout the century so buy their stuff.

Buttercup
12-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Oooh yes it is definitely time for an update. That virtual reality videogame is pretty ridiculous, and good ole' Grandpa talking about them "high definition tv's and laserdiscs" always makes me giggle! :thumbsup:
The thing is though, if they update it, it's quite a HUGE jump in time & technology from the scene prior. But here's what might work: put the family in a sort-of generic, empty background setting, talking about all the advances since the 60's (while pictures of those inventions are projected on the blank wall behind them). This would be a quick little 'catch-up' talk on things that led up to today's technology. Then, when they start talking about the 2000's, the blank wall pulls away to reveal a modern family home behind them.

But alas... they're not going to dump any more money into it since it's only open seasonally. :(