PDA

View Full Version : For those that go in the summer....

Gregandmel
12-27-2010, 09:03 AM
We have ony gone to WDW 3 times. The first time was mid-June in 1997 (before fast passes and before we knew what we were doing! LOL). The last 2 times were during more of an "off" time (although I know there isn't a slow time any longer). Due to my husband's teaching schedule now as well as our kids being older and having a harder time taking them out of school, we are limited to the last week in June. Can you tell me what the crowds are like during this time? I know we need to expect crowds, heat, etc... but on our last 2 trips, we got to the parks about 45 minutes ahead of opening, had a major plan on utilizing FP's and knowing exactly where to go, etc... Does it still hold true (to a point) that we would be able to get a lot done until around 11-12 before the crowds swell up the parks? Just curious. I love going when the weather is cooler and the crowds are more manageable, but at this point we are terribly limited. Our other option is the week between Christmas & New Year's but I"m guessing summer wouldn't be QUITE as crazy? Thanks for any input! :thumbsup:

pandkx3
12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
We also have to take our Disney trips in the summer for some of the same reasons you've listed. It is crowded, but not undoable. With a little planning, getting to the parks early, utilizing the fast pass system, and taking your time, you'll have great trip.The heat is not an issue for us (we live in south Mississippi....it's hot when we leave). I think the biggest thing is to not get in a hurry.

olivegirl
12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
We go in August every year!! We love it! With careful planning , expecting the heat, humidity and those pop up storms we have a WONDERFUL GREAT time !!! We take advantage of the EMH and then go back to our resort and enjoy the pool in the heat of the day and then back to a park later in the evening! The crowds are there but thay are very manageable!!!! Again the key word is planning!!!!! :thumbsup:

KylesMom
12-27-2010, 11:05 AM
had a major plan on utilizing FP's and knowing exactly where to go, etc... Does it still hold true (to a point) that we would be able to get a lot done until around 11-12 before the crowds swell up the parks?

We've gone in June, July or August for six or more years now due to DS' school schedule, and you are spot-on about how to attack the parks. Yes, it will be hot and crowds will be more plentiful than you're used to - but you'd be surprised how many folks sleep late on their vacations! Keep hydrated, hop to another park (or your resort pool) if your original location gets too crowded, utilize FP to its fullest, and above all, ENJOY! :mickey:

faline
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd also suggest taking advantage of morning extra magic hours and then hopping to another park later. Get to the parks early; take a mid-day break for swimming and rest; and return to the park in the evening.

DizneyRox
12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Another huge advantage of the summer is fewer refurbs, and longer hours. We have gone in early July for as long as I can remember and never have trouble doing things. This past summer with EMH, it was possible to stay in some parks until way past midnight.

Gregandmel
12-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much for the input. OUr first experience (June 1997) was horrendous and I never thought I would EVER consider going in the summer again (but again - went without a plan, no fastpass system, didn't know the layout of the parks, etc...) so maybe with 2 successful trips under our belts with how best to utilize the fast passes and knowing what we want to do and where everything is, maybe ---- just maybe ---- I'll give the summer another try! It's either that- or not go - and THAT ----- is NOT an option!! :thumbsup:

kcrc
12-27-2010, 03:01 PM
We are planning on being there that last week in June too! We have been in May, June and December. I actually prefer the heat to the cool temps of December (especially THIS December!) There is actually less stress for us because we're not worrying about what the kids are missing in school and make up work. There are crowds - but when aren't there anymore? We go in knowing there will be lines for everything - and then are pleasantly surprised if we have short wait times for things! Have a wonderful time!

PrettyMinnie
12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Like you and other posters, our family can only take vacations in mid June or mid August. In our experience we have been successful in handling crowds and heat. It is often that kids and adults split up for a time now that all the kids are older (18, 16, 15 and 12), this way the kids can do what they want and the adults do the same. Everybody is happy. We usually do both AM EMH as well as PM EMH (especially the really late ones at MK) which really help with accomplishing things. As always I have a detailed plan, that I am willing to be flexible with and that helps as well. Happy planning!

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
We've gone in June, July or August for six or more years now due to DS' school schedule, and you are spot-on about how to attack the parks. Yes, it will be hot and crowds will be more plentiful than you're used to - but you'd be surprised how many folks sleep late on their vacations! Keep hydrated, hop to another park (or your resort pool) if your original location gets too crowded, utilize FP to its fullest, and above all, ENJOY! :mickey:

Count us in that sleep late on vacation category. We sleep in, get to the parks 11ish, head back to the resort about 3 or 4. Cool off then head back until closing.

We've gone in June many times and found this method works best for us.

I'm up before 6am the rest of the year, on vacation it is time to sleep in. Of course having made 30+ trips to WDW we have a different perspective...;)

MOJoe
12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Years ago, before fastpasses and before i discovered Intercot, i took my family to WDW in July. I had studied The Unofficial Guide, and used the Dumbo Do or Die-MK in a Day Plan. We opened up the park and by 2 had done everything we wanted to do. My wife was amazed how well the plan worked. "Never done Disney like this." she said.

I don't think the UG's plan was some magical tour that made the crowds disappear. The main idea is to arrive early and get the most popular and slow loading attractions out of the way first. For a family that wants to experience as much as possible at MK, it is a great plan.

But since you have a few tours of MK under your belt already, you have your own plan of attack. So there is really only one thing to remember. Be there for the park opening. You beat the crowds, and the heat. So when the park gets packed and the heat unbearable, you can say, "O.K. we've seen everything we wanted to, lets go back to the resort, relax and come back after the daily thunderstorm, when it's cooler." :cool:

That's my idea for attacking MK in the Summer.

princessjojo
12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I've always had problems getting my kids out of school, so we've usually gone mid/late June as well with a couple other crowded times thrown in there also. But I've found that when I get it in my head that it's going to be hot, humid, and crowded, I've not got that much more to surprise me to upset my vacation. We know these things ahead of time so we aren't caught off guard and early preparation makes it great. As a matter of fact, we'll be going again this coming June 21-29 and are looking very forward to it.

Have fun!!!

laysan
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
all good advice I will need for summer 2011...early august! Good thing I am a morning person;)