PDA

View Full Version : At WDW right now--should we do AK?

southerngirl
12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone:

We're at WDW right now and having a great time. The travel party is my DH, DS (age 2) and me. Today, we went to HS and Epcot. We didn't really care for DHS. It had been several years since I went there, and I had forgotten how there isn't really a lot of stuff to do with a 2 yr old who doesn't like shows. We saw some characters (he LOVES characters) and rode the Movie Ride and ate lunch, but then we decided enough was enough, and we went to EPCOT. We had a BLAST there. My DS saw tons of characters, loved walking around and rode several of the "family" rides (Spaceship Earth, Nemo, the boat in Mexico, etc.)

Now, after that long introduction, here is my question: Knowing that we didn't really care for HS, do you think we should try AK? Or, is it another park like HS with lots of shows and things for older kids and adults, but not that much for the smallest fans? We have two more days, and my DH and I would be more than happy to take DS back to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT and skip AK if it's going to be another "wasted" morning. My DS likes animals, but we have been to zoos before, and we are having lunch at Sanaa tomorrow, so he'll have a chance to see animals then. Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Mousemates
12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
to me the AK is the second best park (after MK of ocurse) for little ones...simply because I have yet to meet a little one who doesn't enjoy animals. Our kids loved AK form an early age...bet yours will too.

Suz36
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
There are the Lion King and Nemo shows, but I think they are much more little-one friendly than say, Lights, Motors, Action and Indiana Jones. I'd say, if he likes animals, it can't be a wasted morning. There are lots of characters to be had in Camp Minnie-Mickey and various other spots throughout the park. Have fun!

Gator
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
AK is my kid's #2 park. They love all the animals and all the animal shows. They even like Nemo the Musical. Don't miss it. It's great for kids.

Donald
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
My sons loved AK! They loved the dino dig. I could not get them out of it!!

Remember, it is Natazu! (not a zoo):mickey:

frozman
12-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I think the safaris would be enough of a reason to say yes. It would be a lot of fun to try and spot the animals. Like the guides say "No 2 safaris are the same."

MagicalGuest
12-20-2010, 11:55 PM
"It's a Bug's Life" is also fun...but it can be a bit loud, so if he's a kid who doesn't like loud noises you may want to skip it. The safari is lots of fun, as are some of the trails. And take the train to Discovery Island...there's a petting zoo and they often have kid-friendly presentations on cute and cuddly animals.

Janmac
12-21-2010, 10:42 AM
The youngest in our group likes AK also and she's only ever been on Kali River Rapids and Kilimanjaro Safari. She's never seen a show, or been to Camp Mickey or been on the train to the petting zoo.

She likes the nature walks, crawling on the dinosaurs, and most of all the drums. We usually only spend one morning at AK, and much of that is watching her experience the special little things at her own pace.

Jan

wdwfansince75
12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
When we went in June, DGS#4 was 2 1/2. He loved AK. (Of course, Sam loves everything!) He especially liked Triceratop Spin, the Nemo show, the Safari, and Affection Station. Got to meet Jiminy Cricket there...and he loved the barnyard. Didn't do the Lion King show, because of time. He did both trails, and loved them. Also, since the AK is decked out for Christmas, it is a wonderful experience just to see the decorations.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-21-2010, 11:37 AM
IMHO, Animal Kingdom is a very kid friendly park.....