PDA

View Full Version : Check in times....

mom2morgan
12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
are room assignments decided at check in? Since we have to travel quite far, we always arrive very late. I'm wondering if that is why we never get our room requests? I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid getting the least desireable rooms!

TammiMcMan
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid getting the least desireable rooms!Unfortunately, arriving early gives you the most inventory to select from. If you can't change your arrival time and arriving late leaves you with a less than desirable room, you can always ask about changing rooms the next day. It's worked for me.

Strmchsr
12-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Rooms are assigned, usually, about 3 days in advance. So, you're not getting a less desirable room arriving late. The only disadvantage, as Tammi said, is that if you don't like your room assignment there may not be much you can do if you arrive late.

CleveRocks
12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Rooms are assigned, usually, about 3 days in advance. So, you're not getting a less desirable room arriving late. The only disadvantage, as Tammi said, is that if you don't like your room assignment there may not be much you can do if you arrive late.Well, you're not wrong about some rooms being assigned days in advance.

But it IS true that you are at a relative disadvantage if you arrive late.

Rooms are pre-assigned, but nothing is set in stone until you actually check-in and get your keys. If you check-in at 9:00 a.m. and you don't like the room you've been pre-assigned, you ask the front desk clerk for a different room. This can happen many times a day.

For the sake of argument, let's say there are desirable and undesirable rooms. If people who check in earlier and were pre-assigned the undesirable rooms speak up and ask for a change, then the desirable rooms will be gone by later in the day. Just where do you think they find that desirable room for the people who want a change? They take them away from the desirable rooms pre-assigned to someone else who hasn't checked in yet.

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2010, 12:32 AM
are room assignments decided at check in?
. . . 3-4 days in advance
. . . but, they can be changed at check-in

we always arrive very late. I'm wondering if that is why we never get our room requests?
. . . absolutely could be
. . . someone else might have gotten your room
. . . and simply because they didn't like theirs

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid getting the least desirable rooms!
. . . only by arriving early in the day
. . . otherwise, you take pot luck
. . . and hope others don't ask for a room change

mom2morgan
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Dang. With driving to the airport, having a stop in the middle, and the flight itself, the trip takes us 18 hours. The only way to arrive "earlier" would be to leave the night before and travel overnight- and that would be so hard on the kids (never mind me, LOL)

are room assignments decided at check in?
. . . 3-4 days in advance
. . . but, they can be changed at check-in

we always arrive very late. I'm wondering if that is why we never get our room requests?
. . . absolutely could be
. . . someone else might have gotten your room
. . . and simply because they didn't like theirs

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid getting the least desirable rooms!
. . . only by arriving early in the day
. . . otherwise, you take pot luck
. . . and hope others don't ask for a room change

CleveRocks
12-23-2010, 07:18 AM
If you are THAT unhappy with your room, go to the front desk early the next morning and ask for a change. It's a pain in the neck, but if it makes the rest of your vacation better then it'll be worth it.

Gator
12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I've often run into this issue. We fly in from CA, so even if we catch the flight that leaves at 6am, we don't get to the resort until 6:30pm at the earliest. Usually, it more like 8-9pm.

At CBR, I asked for Jamaica. But a group of cheerleaders had just checked in and filled the whole complex. The plus: I didn't get surrounded by cheerleaders and the moved me to a preferred location.

At CS, I asked for the Cabanas. It was full by the time we got there, so they put us in the Ranchos which was way better. Good bus stops and great theming.

In fact, when I get the rooms I asked for (Alligator Bayou at POR, Dalmatians at ASMov, value room at AKL-K), it seems I'm more disappointed than when they give me something else.