PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your own ECV VS. Renting

Disney4us2
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I just returned from a trip to WDW and rented and ECV from Apple. Very good service, although the scooter seemed a bit warn and the battery went down quicker than I expected.

For our spring break trip I am considering bringing my own ECV. It is smaller than the one I rented and more comfortable. Nothing like your own seat:) My battery seems to last longer. I have the Pride go go elite HD. I rented the heavy duty scooter.

What are your experiences with bringing your own ECV. Other than if something breaks, I have to fix it on my own.

Does DME have ramps to put the scooter on/under the bus, or do I need to break it down?

Rain: Tiller covers? Do you have a special tiller cover for the rain?

peemagg
12-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I will be bringing my own in a few weeks for the 3rd time.

I look at it this way, any hassle that I have to undergo to get it there is better than spending more money when I don't need too. Too be honest I haven't had too many hassles traveling with mine. I fly with it each time.

Mine has been put under the bus as a whole scooter. I have seen a ramp under the DME bus for getting the scooter on and off with, but mine (similar to yours) is such a small scooter that the driver and myself just lift it and roll it in. It is a lot less work that way then getting out a ramp that isn't really needed. I have never had to take it apart. I do drop the tiller a bit though.

As far as the tiller cover, I bought one online and keep it in the back pocket on the seat. It has really worked well. The last time I was there, we were in torrential downpours and it protected the tiller perfectly. I truly believe that anyone who has their own scooter should have this as a necessity for their scooter. Need to protect those circuits. It keeps my hands dry too!

ElenitaB
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I've done both... my experiences with Apple were the opposite. The scooter I had this past August held its charge for two days at a time! If my own scooter was as reliable, it would have come with us again. (I have a Rascal that folds up and is ultra portable, but whose battery is not as reliable as I need at WDW.) Since it folds up, it fits easily under the bus.

Like Peemag, I much prefer having my own scooter at WDW. Not only because I'm so much more comfortable with it, but because I know exactly how quickly it stops, starts, turns, etc.

I also think that the suggestion of getting a rain cover is a great one. I've jerryrigged ponchos to cover mine and it's not the best arrangement. :shake:

PETE FROM NYC
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
We drive down. DW and I are both ECV users.
She has her own that we travel with. I had an electric hoist installed in the back of my Expedition to load/unload her ECV. It cost us $3300, but is worth every cent. I rent from Apple and have had no issues in two trips.