PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to Ian-Janet's Quick and Dirty TR

JanetMegan
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Not having much time and not feeling super creative I'm going to do a similar wrap up as Ian since I was down for the same Wedding and same time frame as he was ;) Difference was I took a 47 year old dbf for the first time ever to Disney-wow! It was quite the experience to go with someone who not only had never been but basically has never seen a Disney movie. He had seen some Mickey cartoons and I was shocked that he knew who Pluto was on his park hopper ;)

We spent one night at the Poly, and I have to admit as far as theme of the hotel and overall look of the grounds you really can't beat it. But the price is very high and they don't have any King Size beds which irks me. I will also say to me the rooms seemed a bit in need of some new paint, wallcovering etc. They just seemed a little shabby compared to the overall hotel. Furniture was dinged up, carpets were a little dingy etc. We did enjoy our night there though and were able to watch MVMCP Wishes from the beach right outside our room in Tuvalu.

We spent the rest of the nights at the Wilderness Lodge. We had a wonderful balcony we didn't use because it was WAYYY too cold. We did spend some time walking the trails down there and saw 5-9 deer each day. (None of them had horns? Do Florida deer not have horns?) The Lodge was nice, room was always well taken care of, they even turned down the bed and brought chocolates (something I didn't remember if you were not in club level.) Only complaint was that on our first afternoon they were playing some very loud techno music by the pool at 3-5 in the afternoon and it was very loud even in our room. I'm glad I hadn't wanted to take a nap or anything. It was so cold the rest of our trip it never happened again.

Disney with a first timer was a little overwhelming. We basically had 5 day hoppers but one of the days was filled with a good bit of wedding happenings so we basically had 4 full days to do everything. He told me he felt like he was back in boot camp (oops!) I will also say the crowds even with the cold were a good bit larger than I expected and while I felt like we got to do almost everything we wanted to, there were still things we missed.

I do enjoy the holiday stuff, the decorations were pretty, Osborne lights were a hoot and I love the Illuminations Christmas ending but I almost wish I hadn't brought the first timer at the holidays because you miss some of the normal stuff and the holiday stuff can be a bit overwhelming (I really don't want to hear Christmas music in EACH park for example all day long.)

We did have a rough patch on our last day trying to catch all the "favorites" and some bad luck with ride breakdowns. We had ToT, RnRc, Mission Space, Test Track and even American Adventure all break down on us the last day. Sort of a disappointing way to end things. Overall though a good trip and while I don't know if he was bit by the Disney bug I do think he would go again, maybe just not for a year or so...

JanetMegan
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm going to do a separate dining report over in that area of the boards as we had quite good overall dining and service compared to my Sept trip.

JanetMegan
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I just wanted to mention I learned something new this trip (and here I thought I knew everything hardy har har.)

We stayed one night room only at Poly right? Well I was planning on us getting up early and packing up, driving to WL, checking in to get our package and passes then hit Animal Kingdom by opening (all a tight squeeze.) Well the CM at the Poly told me we could pick up our park passes that go with our package right at Guest Relations at AK without any need to go to the WL first. This was great. Now I will say that our 5 day park hoppers were regular tickets and couldn't be put back on our room key but we didn't care or anything...

Joannelet
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the report!!!

faline
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Never understood why king beds are missing from the Poly either.

The cold weather does take some away from being able to enjoy the parks. Sorry for all the breakdowns on your last day - that must have been disappointing!

KylesMom
12-21-2010, 04:09 PM
After reading all of these reports that my beloved Disney World has been freezing as of late, I think I would have wished to visit another time with a newbie just to really enjoy the beautiful Florida weather. In our case that translates to HOT!

What a bummer about the mass break downs on your last day - sounds like you had put some work into your plan, too. :(

Thanks for your "Down & Dirty"! :mickey:

Melanie
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I have to admit I've never heard of AA breaking down. Animatronics issues?

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the report

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the ride breakdowns, what a bummer! But I understand going to DW with a newbie who doesn't quite share your excitement. It never seems to make the trip any less special for me though! :minnie:

pdrlkr
12-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: