PDA

View Full Version : August w/ Military Discount or Holiday?

BelleBeauty
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm struggling with this question and I know all of you are the best to answer for me.

We are planning a trip in 2011 with my sister her DBF and my brother (all under 25 and just graduating from college). It will also be my DH's first trip to WDW (he is a CA/ DLR boy).

We can take advantage of the military discount park hoppers and hotel discount if we plan a trip in August, or we can go with our original dates just before Thanksgiving in November. I am very torn because saving money is important to my siblings, but I don't want my DH's first time to be tainted by hot hot weather and crowds.

What is your opinion? :mickey:

Janmac
12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
One thing to think about is that if this is DH's first trip, he won't have anything to compare to. It might be good to do a less desirable time, because the next trip has to be improvement. ;)

There will be crowds and it will be hot in August. If your group can get up early and get to the parks at rope drop, you can avoid much of the heat and lines.

Are you all the kind that like to tour the parks all day long? Or do you like to explore some of the resorts? Maybe leave the crowds behind and eat lunch at Wildnerness Lodge on an MK day or at Beach Club on an Epcot or DHS day. Get indoors where it's cool, in the afternoon.

We were skeptical about doing an early September trip because of the heat. I think we actually had more fun because we were able to enjoy swimming in the afternoon. A couple of our winter trips have been so cold we had to pass on the pools. One year Typhoon Lagoon was even closed on the day we had thought we'd go there.

DH may be thinking of WDW a little like a bigger CA/DLR instead of a whole world of fun with the 4 main parks, the resorts - which you can tour and eat at no matter where you're staying - and other places, like water parks, Downtown Disney, etc. You can make his first trip be a sort of sampling of what the World has to offer.

Jan

BelleBeauty
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
One thing to think about is that if this is DH's first trip, he won't have anything to compare to. It might be good to do a less desirable time, because the next trip has to be improvement. ;)

Very true! I hadn't thought of it like that. The discount is probably worth the heat and we will take breaks in the middle of the day. I like to be at the park at rope drop, but my DB & DS like to mutiny and stay in bed some days!

wdwfansince75
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Most of our trips have been in June or July. In all those years, the heat has only been "unbearable" one or two days...and after an afternoon at the pool, the evenings at the parks have been super. The parks are open longer during the summer, so by staying on site, and (for us) park hopping make for lots of park time.

If you are eligible for the military discount, consider Shades of Green. Deluxe accomodations at Value prices. Great first time experience, largest rooms on site, short walk to/from Poly and the monorail, improved bus service and meal service. (and cheapest beer on site.)
Check out and compare ticket prices...for those who do the water parks and like to park hop, the Stars and Strip passes may be a better deal. The Armed Forces Salute tickets are 4 days only, and the number you can get is limited. But if you are only going for 4 days, it is a great deal. Note that you can use the SoG ticket office even if you are not staying there.