Me – Disney nut
DD (15) – even bigger Disney nut

When:
Dec 19-24

Where:
Polynesian Resort

Weather:
High 50s (though with the wind it felt more like 40s), drizzly, foggy

There were many issues with check in and room assignment including a "lost" reservation because it turns out they spelled my name wrong. Took about 4 hours to finally get straightened out and get assigned a room! Ok not going to focus on the negative because we are at DISNEY! Yay!

Talked to some great college interns at the concierge desk while waiting to get room cleared up. Very friendly and nice. They also had a cast member walking around the lobby with a tray of cookies for the guests. The lobby is gorgeous as usual and very festive in a tropical way LOL. We also stopped in Capt Cooks and shared a pepperoni flatbread pizza and it was pretty good. The crust was really hard but otherwise the flavors were good. And I am loving the Light Pomegranate Lemonade!

We did not get any of the buildings or floors we requested but by that point I just wanted to get in a room as I had a blazing headache that was headed to migraine territory. We ended up in Tahiti. Not too bad but not our choice of area. But I am sure that we will end up loving it.

We rode the monorail over to the Grand Floridian for our 4:40pm tea ressie. That also took forever to get seated and the manager kept apologizing for the delay and thanking us for our patience. We finally got seated around 5:30 WHEW! We had spent the time scoping out the Gingerbread House that is right in front of the lounge.

DD decided she wanted to do something different and ordered the Prince Edward's Tea which is assorted pate, blue stilton, fresh berries (black and raspberries) and Cumberland sauce and scones with port (they substituted sparkling cider for the port) she also ordered a plate of tea sandwiches and choice the Harmony flavor tea (chamomile blossoms, peppermint, allspice and orange blossoms)to drink. I got my usual Grand Tea - tea sandwiches, scones and trifle with a glass of sparkling wine and I chose the Princess Breakfast Tea (South African organic rooibos flavored with vanilla bean and a hint of strawberries). DD was not over the moon on the pate but she liked it well enough. She gave me her stilton as she dislikes blue cheeses. The berries were very fresh and sweet. The tea sandwiches (egg salad, chicken salad, shrimp salad, watercress and cucumber, pear and gorgonzola) were good. I am allergic to shellfish so they had a chef come out to discuss with me when all I needed was them to switch up the shrimp salad with one of the other sandwiches. LOL But I appreciated the attention.

We both loved the cucumber watercress. DD enjoyed the shrimp and I enjoyed the pear/gorgonzola. The others were ok. The scones were to die for!! I want a plate of those in my room! Along with the Devonshire cream. Yum! The trifle was also delicious! As for the teas. I was not a big fan of either flavor but definitely preferred mine over DD's. Hers was just too strong peppermint flavor for me to enjoy it. She also liked mine better.

After tea we wandered the GF for a bit then headed back to room to put up our tree and decorate and unpack. We were both exhausted as the day before had been very hectic and just relaxed in the room the rest of the night.

Tomorrow: DTD, EPCOT maybe MK. Dinner at Narcoosee's

faline
12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Glad you finally got room squared away! What a hassle!

The tea sounds wonderful!

lynnek
12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Think we'll have to try the Tea experience next time--sounds like fun!

DisneyorBust
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Being that the POLY is my (and my family's) favorite resort, I can only imaine the frustration that you must have felt! Not a good way to start your vacation. Sounds like you and your DD had a very nice afternoon tea!

chechas
12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
After talking to a few more cast members, they recently (5 days ago) switched the resort/ressie SW program from a DOS based one to a Microsoft one. They did it in rolling waves for various resorts and the Poly was one of the last. As a result several reservations have gotten lost, messed up etc and it has created a big pain for the CMs and guests. So just a heads up to anyone headed down soon. It is hit or miss where there are issues. Also there have been problems with the screens freezing which causes delays so that is why some things are taking longer. But it is all good! LOL

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry about the room problem, thanks for the report

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the room problem but what a wonderful mother/daughter tea! I have always wanted to do a mother/daughter trip to WDW because we are the true "Disney Nuts" in our family. Enjoy every moment!

Disney4us2
12-23-2010, 06:40 PM
The tea sounds wonderful. Thanks for the report:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
12-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Not the best way to start your vacation, that's for sure! Thank goodness you were able to finally get into a room. On a good note, your tea service sounds lovely!

Looking forward to reading more . . . :mickey:

Suz36
12-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the details on the tea - it sounds so elegant! Sorry about your room problems, but thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to make sure to call and confirm everything before we leave, hopefully catching any problems before we get on property!

vizsla
12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the report.