PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

slottedpig
12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm planning a trip for September and need some suggestions. This will be just me and my wife -- first time without kids and first visit in 6 years. All of our past experiences were counter service or food courts so we'd like to try some of the sit downs. I'm looking for nice meals but also a fair amount of Disney atmosphere. I am sure we will do Cal Grill and try and time it for the fireworks. I am intrigued by the Coral Reef-- seems like a very Disneyish experience but how is the food there? What are the best combinations of food quality and atmosphere? Thanks for any suggestions.

Also -- I am leaning to staying at the Dolphin. I've been there before and love it and the AAA rates on the Starwood site are pretty good. Am I correct that this will preclude me from the free dining plan?

jonahbear2006
12-19-2010, 09:43 PM
we liked the food at coral reef just fine. it was the management of the dining room and the food and the service that was questionable. We were really angry by the end of our meal but the food is good so i imagine that your chances of getting a good experience are half chance just as anyone elses bc this particular restaurant's reviews seem to be very inconsistent.

Crow
12-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I like the Dolphin..great location.
Cal Grill is a fav.
i also like AP in Wilderness Lodge
great atmosphere in San Angel..food isnt as good as atmosphere though.
I like Teppan Edo in Japan..nice view of the lagoon & Illuminations at night

crltkcagle
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
What about Ohanas? Its very Disneyish and the food is awesome! If my hubby and I were going without kids we would try Marrakesh in Morocco and Kat Cora's restaurant. We usually have to stick with restaurants that are kid friendly and have bouncing happy characters! LOL

forever a child
12-20-2010, 10:43 PM
First of all, welcome to Intercot!

If you are looking for a true disney experience...my favorite is Garden Grill with characters (Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale). Food is decent, served family style and all you can eat. But the atmosphere is great and it is the best character experience for kids and adults!

I also really like Boma's (love the food!) and for fun dinning experience we enjoyed 50's Prime Time...(we had to wash our hands and I was constantly in trouble for placing my elbows on the table). DD laughed the whole meal. Food was decent but the disney atmosphere is great.

Kaps
12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
O'Hana's
Prime Time Cafe
Boma's

All three have good atmosphere and the food is good.

Janmac
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I think you are right about no dining plan if you're staying at the Dolphin. Perhaps someone will be along soon to confirm that.

Coral Reef is an interesting dining experience, but I would definitely recommend a later time. We have eaten there early when there are a lot of younger diners. Perhaps there are always young diners.

For a different Disney dining experience, albeit loud and crazy, you could try 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. This is a character meal, but with a twist. In addition to Cinderella and Prince Charming, lady Tremaine and her awkward daughters also visit your table. Hopefully you'll be seated near a table with girls who are big Cinderella fans, because the interaction with the Tremaine's will be a hoot. They are so not fans of Cinderella.

Ohanas is fun because of the strolling ukulele player, and the coconut races and hula hoop contest for the kids, not to mention the big long skewers. The food is different, too. If you can eat about the time MK is closing you will likely be able to see the Castle changing colors. We have been able to see this even when we're not seated at a window facing MK.

I have not eaten at Garden Grill in maybe 15 years but I hear it is a great hidden gem of a character meal.

Also on our like to do list at Epcot are Marrakesh (even with kids), San Angel Inn (Mexico - great atmosphere) and for an Oktoberfest kind of meal, Biergarten at Germany, where you will be seated with other people, as all the tables are for 8. We have always enjoyed chatting with the folks we've been seated with.

One more possibility is the rollicking, loud Hoop De Doo Revue over at Fort Wilderness. This is a dinner show, with 3 seating times to choose from, priced at about $60 each. It's a major hoot. You will likely leave deafer than a post but you'll be grinning so much you won't notice.

Enjoy!

Jan

lovin'fl
12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
In the boardwalk area there are a ton of dining choices. There is Cape May (a very yummy, but bustling NE seafood buffet), Captain's Grill, Kouzzina, Yachtsman (signature/2TS), ESPN (not very romantic, I must say), Flying Fish (another signature), Big River Brewing Co(don't think it's a DDP, but not bad OOP and it's pretty good) and Beaches and Cream. There are all the fantastic places in Epcot which isn't too far from the Dolphin. The Swan and Dolphin also have a ton of places, but not part of the DDP.

Scar
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Also -- I am leaning to staying at the Dolphin. I've been there before and love it and the AAA rates on the Starwood site are pretty good. Am I correct that this will preclude me from the free dining plan?Correct, S & D guests are not eligible for the DDP... free or otherwise.

And to be clear, since you are receiving a discount, even if free dinning were available you would not be able use both.

Disney4us2
12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Welcome to Intercot:mickey:

We just returned from WDW and our new favorites are:

Yak n Yeti at AK ... table service not the counter service. I am cancelling out LeCellier to return here. Simply a great dining experience.

Garden Grill in Epcot, ask for the lower seating tier. Good food, can't wait to return there.

Tokyo Dining Epcot, Good food, service. We will return here again as well. Loved it.

Jillirose
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
My husband and I would hit SCI FI just for fun. We also love Tuttto Italia, Chefs du France,Le Cellier and Rose & Crown. There seems to be a trend with us - we always end up at EPCOT. We always hit Wolfgang Pucks when at DTD.

slottedpig
12-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks so much for the ideas. I'm sorry I can't try them all. I looked at all the menus from your suggestions and we decided to add Yak and Yeti and Teppan Edo to our previously planned night at Cal Grill. That leaves one more night and we want it to be seafood near our hotel. What would you choose between Flying Fish and Bluezoo?