PDA

View Full Version : Which is more economical or smarter?

luvdiznee
12-19-2010, 10:53 AM
We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon and Vegas. Hoping to do in that order.

Not sure if it would be better to fly into Vegas rent a car then drive to GC. So once done at GC drive back to Vegas, vacation there then fly out of there.

Or

Fly into GC airport (not even sure of the name of it) then once done vacationing there, drive to Vegas. But in this case we would hopefully be able to book a return flight back home from Vegas, not GC. How possible is that to even do? Is it a pain? This is where I'm not sure what would cost more or make more sense. :confused:Anyone...:confused:

NJGIRL
12-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I can tell you what we did. We flew into Vegas and got there about 12 noon, got right into the rental car and drove the 5 hours to the GC. The first reason I wouldn't fly to the GC because I don't do small planes. Another reason was because if you return the rental car to a different location the cost is more. The drive was very easy and not what I thought it would be. I would recommend a GPS just in case (especially if you are driving in the dark). We got to the GC just before dark and were a little confused on how to get to the resort area.

You can book a flight into one airport and out of another with no problem but if I'm not mistaken it does cost a little more doing it that way.

dobby2010
12-19-2010, 03:59 PM
How long were you wanting to be there for? We did a day trip from vegas using Gray Line tours, and we loved it. They picked us up early in the morning from our hotel and dropped us off late at night. Lunch at a stop on the way was included and yummy. We felt we had plenty of time at the GC for sightseeing. something to look into if you only wanted to go for a day. I can't remember the exact cost, i think it was around 80 pp but i'm not sure about that.

luvdiznee
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I can tell you what we did. We flew into Vegas and got there about 12 noon, got right into the rental car and drove the 5 hours to the GC. The first reason I wouldn't fly to the GC because I don't do small planes. Another reason was because if you return the rental car to a different location the cost is more. The drive was very easy and not what I thought it would be. I would recommend a GPS just in case (especially if you are driving in the dark). We got to the GC just before dark and were a little confused on how to get to the resort area.

You can book a flight into one airport and out of another with no problem but if I'm not mistaken it does cost a little more doing it that way.

I thought of the small plane thing, too as I am also not a fan of them. But I didnt realize returning the rental car to a different location would be more $$$. But I guess that makes sense. Same thing with the flight costs as far as using 2 different airports. I'm just going to have to be sure we get an early flight to Vegas, so we can do this during the day. :cool:

How long were you wanting to be there for? We did a day trip from vegas using Gray Line tours, and we loved it. They picked us up early in the morning from our hotel and dropped us off late at night. Lunch at a stop on the way was included and yummy. We felt we had plenty of time at the GC for sightseeing. something to look into if you only wanted to go for a day. I can't remember the exact cost, i think it was around 80 pp but i'm not sure about that.

Yes, we did the day trip thing on our last trip here, and this is what made me want to stay overnight, because I didn't feel we were able to spend enough time there. It was nice having the bus pick us up from the hotel and lunch included but I just want to spend 2 nights there. Thank you.

:marg:

Though now we may end up changing from our resort "Kaschina" to a Best Western, since BW has better dates for us. We want to do GC first then Vegas. And staying at GC's resorts puts us having to do it last. :confused:Though, not even sure how close that BW is too the GC. :confused:

LVT
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
We did Kachina in June and loved the location, the hotel was neat for the partial view we had.
If the Best Western is in the development adjacent to the airport it is probably OK. There is a 3 route busing set up in the GC area. You have to have the park pass on you to get on the bus that goes from the hotel area to the central tourist area, but otherwise the bus system is an easy way to get around this very crowded venue.