PDA

View Full Version : how would you do DL, Universal etc?

Frog
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I know it's been done, so I am wondering..
How would you do a Cali trip and fit in DL, CA, maybe Knotts, Universal studios, maybe a day in Hollywood checkin out some spots (which ones are not to be missed??), and maybe a beach day before flying back out..
I am thinking at least two different hotels, but that means getting a rent car...(trying to keep it affordable!)
Are there shuttles available to all the hot spots?

NotaGeek
12-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I know it's been done, so I am wondering..
How would you do a Cali trip and fit in DL, CA, maybe Knotts, Universal studios, maybe a day in Hollywood checkin out some spots (which ones are not to be missed??), and maybe a beach day before flying back out..
I am thinking at least two different hotels, but that means getting a rent car...(trying to keep it affordable!)
Are there shuttles available to all the hot spots?
There are no shuttles. You can try Grayline but to get the make the most of your time you will need a rental car -- Grayline Tours has some options, but to throw in the beach, see Hollywood and all the parks, a car is the only option. Book ahead and to be honest the car won't be a lot -- get a hybrid to save on gas. If you want to move up to the Hollywood area there is a Ramada on Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood that has great rates and it's very centrally located.

AZ Disney
12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I agree that I don't think there is any way to do all of this stuff without a car. Recently, I travelled with my husband who is a SWA pilot to Burbank. This is one of our favorite spots for me to tag-a-long. We stay at the Holiday Inn Burbank Media Center which is walking distance to plenty of shopping, movies, and great eats! Last time, we hopped on the city bus and then a light rail of some sort and we were at the Kodak Center within about 20 minutes. We spent about 2 hours milling around and people watching. We then hopped on another bus and headed for Beverly Hills. Again, just milled around window shopping. It cost us $6 for unlimited transportation that day.I don't recall how far, but I believe Universal is only a few minutes away and Disney/Knotts about 30+ depending on traffic. Anyway, hope that helps as we love the area.

Mogie
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Had to go to a wedding in Malibu with my GF in December. As an award I got to go to Disneyland for 2 days :) You could definitely do an Malibu/LA/Disneyland trip. We were able to do both parks in 2 days.

Frog
12-16-2010, 02:03 PM
cool!
are the busses clearly marked etc?? is there a all inclusive area guide that anyone found helpfull? we are just in the "dreaming" stages right now, so any information anyone thinks would be helpfull, please chime in! we have three girls btw, 7, 13, 15..

AZ Disney
12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
The bus stops and numbers were easy to find, but I relied on my husband for all this. He just used his phone from the hotel and within minutes knew routes, and schedules. He can read maps in his sleep - so with minimum effort we were on our way. Most mass transit have really good websites that you could research in advance. I have to tell you I was a bit skeptical when he said let's hop on the bus (thinking to myself can't we just hope in a cab), but I have to tell ya it was a piece of cake and quite a fun adventure. I never once felt unsafe.