PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette Question

wilcat
12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
It's a little early and my brain has not kicked in yet but I have a question I hope some of you can answer. I had a Christmas card on my desk this morning from an upper management person with a gift card inside. The card really means a lot to me as he took the time to personally write a note inside. My question is do I send a thank you note to him for the gift card or just take it as a gift of the season? Not sure what the proper thing to do is. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Cathy

DizneyRox
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't do gifts for co-workers. If I get something, I will thank them in person, but I don't return the favor.

I go to work for money, not friends...

Business will do that to you...

Dulcee
12-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I never did co-worker gifts. It was a slippery slope with one gift leading to 5 then 10.. on the occasion someone bought me something I would usually write a brief thank you card to acknowledge the gift. Since this came from a co worker who's above you I'd think the thank you card is sufficient.

btharvey
12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
A thank you is definitely in order and definitely will be appreciated. Some others seem to think you're asking if you should also gift them, and it's not the thing to do, especially an upper mgmt person.

Definitely thank you ... to anyone who 'gifts' you.

floridamom
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree that a thank you note is in order, and since you value his personal note so much, I am sure he would value yours as well.

Ms. Mode
12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree that a thank you note is in order, and since you value his personal note so much, I am sure he would value yours as well.

Well said! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
A thank you is definitely in order and definitely will be appreciated. Some others seem to think you're asking if you should also gift them, and it's not the thing to do, especially an upper mgmt person.

Definitely thank you ... to anyone who 'gifts' you.

Exactly.

vicster
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't do gifts for co-workers. If I get something, I will thank them in person, but I don't return the favor.

I go to work for money, not friends...

Business will do that to you...

That's pretty sad..I've met some of my best friends at work. Nothing wrong with being friendly with co-workers.

A thank you card is defintely in order.

MarkC
12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll add another question into the mix-- my boss gives each of us in the unit (9 of us) gift cards at the end of the year for about $40. Do we write a personal thank you note for those as well? Just curious. Thanks.

NotaGeek
12-15-2010, 01:18 PM
You can never go wrong with a thank you note. There is no time in history that anyone has said "WHY DID THEY WASTE THEIR TIME WITH A THANK YOU NOTE!!" -- if you get a gift, send a note. Period.

Scar
12-15-2010, 03:04 PM
You can never go wrong with a thank you note. There is no time in history that anyone has said "WHY DID THEY WASTE THEIR TIME WITH A THANK YOU NOTE!!" -- if you get a gift, send a note. Period.Although I agree with Michael that thank you notes are always appreciated, personally, I think a face to face thank you would be more appreciated.

NotaGeek
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Although I agree with Michael that thank you notes are always appreciated, personally, I think a face to face thank you would be more appreciated.
Really? I think that getting a note is still showing that you are going beyond a simple thanks -- it's such a lost art to give a hand written thank you note. I humbly disagree -- and I do know that if I care enough to send a gift to someone, especially an acquaintance and I don't get a note I remember it -- I STILL remember 2 wedding presents I have sent over the years and never got a thank you. So tacky. Sending a thank you email would suffice, but getting an actually card is just classy.

ElenitaB
12-15-2010, 08:20 PM
You can never go wrong with a thank you note. There is no time in history that anyone has said "WHY DID THEY WASTE THEIR TIME WITH A THANK YOU NOTE!!" -- if you get a gift, send a note. Period.

:exactly:

I believe that a Thank You (for a gift, a job well done or to someone who's gone "above and beyond") is always much appreciated.

Scar
12-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Really? I think that getting a note is still showing that you are going beyond a simple thanks -- it's such a lost art to give a hand written thank you note. I humbly disagree -- and I do know that if I care enough to send a gift to someone, especially an acquaintance and I don't get a note I remember it -- I STILL remember 2 wedding presents I have sent over the years and never got a thank you. So tacky. Sending a thank you email would suffice, but getting an actually card is just classy.I think it depends on the situation. Certainly if I give a gift for a wedding or send my Niece or Nephew from out of state a gift, I would expect a card, partly just so I know they recieved it. But for someone that (I assume) is seen everyday, while a nice gesture, I just don't see as necessary. I have given gifts to employees under me in the past and have never expected a card, just a sincere "thank you" from them was enough for me.

cannotbelieveweowndvc
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Well said! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with this!

NewDVCowner
12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll add another question into the mix-- my boss gives each of us in the unit (9 of us) gift cards at the end of the year for about $40. Do we write a personal thank you note for those as well? Just curious. Thanks.

I would.

Every year at the holidays I get a gift card from the partners of my firm and give each of them a thank you card. Don't put amounts down but something along the lines of 'thank you for your generous gift. Thank you for your support this year,' or something along those lines. It doesn't need to be more than a line or two.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
I think in this case a face to face OR a written thank you would be appropriate. How nice to be appreciated.

BellesRose
12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
In this day and age where everyone has that "all about me" attitude, and hearing "thank you" is rare, and receiving cards and letters is a thing of the past...I say, how much is it going to hurt you to write a little thank you note? I may be old-fashioned, but no one has ever told me that's a bad thing!