PDA

View Full Version : Poly People Triple Play! WDW, DL and WDW again

mouseketeer mom
12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Now the highlight of our summer.....
Disneyland!!!!!
After flipping back and forth between the GC and the DL hotel, we decided on the Disneyland Hotel.Without a doubt, this was the right decision for us. This was THE most magical Disney hotel we have ever stayed. A true Disney lovers dream. The music, the touches, right on down to the pillows...When we walked into our room the first bed had a pillow that said "A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes..." and the second bed had a pillow that said "When you're fast asleep"....Wow. Perfect start. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce04b3127ccefb27cddb71c800000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/
We stayed Club level and the view from our room was DTD straight ahead, DL to our left, and DCA to our right. Amazing. How we got that room I don't know. It was magical . Did I mention the view of the monorail too?? And DTD felt nothing like WDW. It was much nicer, much more of an attraction, a nicer feel to it for sure. We walked out of our hotel thru DTD, straight to DL or DCA, both a five minute walk. The ease of getting to both parks was terrific. There was such a laid back-to-it ness of DL. Loved the low key feel. We actually had to slow ourselves down. We are so used to rushing at WDW, getting there early, standing in lines, running at rope drop. Not like this at all in DL. First of all, much more of a locals place then a vacation place. Thats what it felt like, at least. Our first time walking into DL was amazing. The whole time felt amazing, but to actually be there took my breath away.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce37b3127ccefb356e9ac10500000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/
It was like a dream, a familiar place but everything feels and looks just a little different. I couldn't get enough. Oh, how we enjoyed comparing all the rides and attractions!!! We rated them all, Pirates is better at DL, Small world is better at DL, Splash is better at WDW...and so on. We got park hoppers for all 10 days, even though the parks are much smaller. We wanted to be able to take it all in, as much as we wanted, without worrying about running out of passes.
DCA is a small park, they are still doing lots of expansion..We did every attraction here too! Doing Soarin' actually in California was a trip.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce04b3127ccefb26a7a5d0ff00000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/
I think my eyes were like saucers the whole trip. My husband says the best part of this trip was seeing me so happy.
The funniest part of DL was the castle. It was sooooo tiny !!! We were like...that's it????!!!!!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce37b3127ccefb3433f6a19300000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/ You could almost miss it.
We loved World of Color and did the WOC picnic to reserve a spot. We loved Goofy's kitchen in the DL hotel. No kidding, nothing like Chef Mickey's. We had the characters to ourselves!!! The food was similar to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, but again, no stampede, no waiting, no crowds, no ADR needed. Just a refreshing change of easy peasy. We did the character breakfast at the Plaza on Main street, and we ate at Carnation Cafe on Main Street, and I met Walts friend Oscar who is still working at Carnation cafe every day and was at DL on opening day!!! This was a wonder for me. One degree of separation from Walt Disney. It left me breathless. We loved New Orleans Square a whole bunch. Had a very unique feel apart from WDW. A big difference between both WDW and DL is that DL was much more relaxed with its onstage presentation. You know how in WDW, you would never catch a Main Street Cast Member walking around in costume in Liberty Square for example?? Well, in DL, we saw CM's walking through one land or another, not just their particular "land" that they were working in. Very different. One thing that was the same was the Dole Whips!!! We enjoyed those all week too!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce11b3127ccefb2915b4c21700000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/
We did the PCH, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Muscle beach, and Los angeles, Beverly Hills and Hollywood too! Here's me and Walts "star"... http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce04b3127ccefb27d46f31e800000040O00AbuGzdu3YuW IPbz4c/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400
There is so much to say about this trip, hope you enjoyed this mini snapshot of our adventure. My husband is returning next year, same time, so of course we'll join him. Without a doubt, we will stay e-ticket club at DL hotel again. And the D23 expo is being held in Anaheim the very same week we are there, so I'm really excited to be a part of that next August! I'm a convert. I loved Disneyland...One more trip to go!!! WDW here we come again! To be continued.....

buzznwoodysmom
12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Loved your report. I wanted more!!!! Wish you had more time to give all the details. When are you going to DL next year? I wish we could get there one day. We keep saying we will, but I've barely even looked into it. Your reports make me wish we were doing DL in March instead of WDW again.

SBETigg
12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
How fun! I'm glad you had such a great time. I've always wondered what DL was like compared to WDW. I haven't made it out there yet, but one day. When I see Disneyland on TV specials, the castle always does look so small you could miss it. I guess it really does when you're there and it's not just the way it looks onscreen.

Melanie
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
LOVED your report! It's always exciting for me to read about a first-timers visit and remember my excitement the first time I went as well. Yep, Disneyland Hotel is magical! And all your points about the resort itself (laid back, close together, etc.) is spot on! That's why I love it so much. And I totally agree about DTD there, so much better!

Thanks for your report! :mickey:

awaggett
12-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I always love your reports--and am excited you were able to post about your three summer trips. We went to DL for the first time in March after years of WDW. I loved noticing all the difference and LOVED DL. We had a lot of the same observations including the castle--so mini compared to WDW! Glad y'all had such great trips.

faline
12-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Glad you got to enjoy Disneyland! It's such a wonderful place!

Disney4us2
12-12-2010, 08:50 PM
So glad you liked Disneyland. Chatting with Oscar is always a treat for us. He is a living Disneyland personality.

Hope you can make you way back to Disneyland some time.

KylesMom
12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow - I recently listened to the INTERCOT podcast where everyone was just gushing about Disneyland, and I knew I was missing something. Your report just confirmed it! So glad that everyone in your family is healthy and enjoyed the trip so much, Lisa. What a treat that you get to return again next year! OK, we know how much you loved it - what did the kids think? Are they all converts too? :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
It sounds wonderful

SBETigg
12-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Did you miss having an Epcot or did the other things that DL has to offer balance it out? But as a plus, you got to explore the West Coast, which is very different from East and fun to see. I loved the Laguna Beach area when I was there in January, but I was seeing it for different reasons, not for pleasure.

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow - I recently listened to the INTERCOT podcast where everyone was just gushing about Disneyland, and I knew I was missing something. Your report just confirmed it! So glad that everyone in your family is healthy and enjoyed the trip so much, Lisa. What a treat that you get to return again next year! OK, we know how much you loved it - what did the kids think? Are they all converts too? :mickey:

The kids loved it too. Katie is planning on doing the Disney Career Start program a year from this August. She is starting in WDW, but has her sights set on DL after that. They are converts in the sense that they loved it just as much. The two places really feel very different, so its hard to compare.

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Did you miss having an Epcot or did the other things that DL has to offer balance it out? But as a plus, you got to explore the West Coast, which is very different from East and fun to see. I loved the Laguna Beach area when I was there in January, but I was seeing it for different reasons, not for pleasure.

Sherri, if you were in Laguna, you were pretty darn close to DL! Did you resist it?? Laguna was indeed our favorite beach area that we experienced. I did not miss Epcot. DL and DCA have a totally different "feel" then WDW. Its charming and magical, but when I say low key, I mean it. There was NO pushing, crazy crowds, there wasnt that competitiveness that exists in WDW. The ease of DL was WONDERFUL. It felt like a vacation, because no one hurried. I loved comparing the attractions. I loved that characters, including Cinderella, were literally just walking around the park. They weren't mobbed for autographs, they were just part of the backround. Cinderella walked around waving, for example. In WDW it would've been like a mob scene, like a rock star walked out or something. Another thing I loved was that it felt much less commercial then WDW. You were not constantly walking out of a ride into a gift shop. As a matter of fact, my son wanted a Matterhorn t-shirt, and there wasn't one to be found. It just wasn't over the top with selling things. The CM's were mostly locals too, not too many college program kids were found, and we asked. Eating dinner was a charm! In the mood for Cajun? We walked right into New Orleans square and got what we wanted, at a sit down table service restaurant. Loved, loved loved not being attached to the clock.

SBETigg
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
It sounds really relaxed, Lisa. Wonderful! And great for Katie. How fun it would be to have her in the Disney family.

I was in Laguna for a memorial service, so it wasn't the time and I was not ready to go then. I'm still not quite ready, but one day.

mouseketeer mom
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
It sounds really relaxed, Lisa. Wonderful! And great for Katie. How fun it would be to have her in the Disney family.

I was in Laguna for a memorial service, so it wasn't the time and I was not ready to go then. I'm still not quite ready, but one day.

One day, you will find it wonderful!

Suz36
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I would never have imagined DL had such a different feel to it as you've described. Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time! We're waiting for Cars Land to open before we visit the West Coast - your report makes me more anxious for that day to come!

mouseketeer mom
12-14-2010, 06:18 AM
I would never have imagined DL had such a different feel to it as you've described. Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time! We're waiting for Cars Land to open before we visit the West Coast - your report makes me more anxious for that day to come!

Cars Land looks really neat. We went to the Blue Sky Cellar at DCA where they showed us a video about CarsLand, what it will be like. So neat. The big attraction will be similar to Test Track, except that two cars will "race" side by side at top speed and there will always be a winner and loser in the race.

wildernesslady
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Disneyland is so different and so similar. We enjoyed our visits there. It is so easy to get around. I never did get used to having the real world so close by. We walked to IHOP one morning while staying at the GC. That was odd to us. Definitely a must do for all intercotees. You wont be disappointed.

luvDaMouse
12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow Lisa! I am so glad you loved DL I cannot wait to get there someday. It's great to get a WDW vets opinion on DL. Thanks so much for the reports!
Dana :mickey:

pdrlkr
12-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

princessgirls
01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Lisa,

So glad you all had an AMAZING time in Disneyland. I was there in 1993, which is practically a lifetime ago. I think I need to go back!! I LOVED it.
Southern California is a great place to vacation too. It offers a lot!
Thanks for the report. I enjoyed it!!

Julie:mickey: