PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Continues at DCA

ryan
12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Expansion Continues at Disney California Adventure Park
posted on December 9th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Manager, Social Media, Disneyland Resort

As we look forward to 2011, we are excited to share that we are making great progress on the expansion of Disney California Adventure park. The year 2010 has been very exciting. In June, we made a big splash with “World of Color,” the nighttime spectacular that is wowing guests every night. On October 29, we reached an exciting milestone with Cars Land with the topping out of the Cadillac Mountain range – about 125 feet in the air. And, many of you have seen The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure and Goofy’s Sky School coming to life along the parade route. Both are scheduled to open in 2011 along with new restaurants and shops as we finish the entire Paradise Pier expansion.
Now, as we move toward a new year, expansion continues. In January, our efforts move to the front of the park.

On Jan. 4, we will begin making way for a new entrance modeled after the legendary Pan-Pacific Auditorium. This means, the “CALIFORNIA” letters will be removed, and we plan to save these icons for possible future use. Now’s the time to get your photos!

As this work continues, we are making adjustments to the Disney California Adventure Main Entrance area, including relocation of some Guest service areas. We’ll keep you informed about those here on the Disney Parks Blog as soon as we have specific dates and locations.

Also on Jan. 4, we will begin the transformation of the Sunshine Plaza area into Buena Vista Street inside the Main Entrance. When complete, it will represent Hollywood as it was when Walt Disney arrived on the west coast in the 1920s.
Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates as the expansion continues.

NotaGeek
12-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I think the only part of the whole expansion that bugs me is losing the big CALIFORNIA -- :(

Melanie
12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I think the only part of the whole expansion that bugs me is losing the big CALIFORNIA -- :(

:ditto:

BrerGnat
12-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Double ditto!

I told that to my husband last Sunday as we made our way over to DCA from DL. I mentioned that this was the last time we'd see the candy cane letters...and he asked why, so I told him they were getting rid of the letters. He responded: "that's dumb." Yeah...that's basically my opinion as well. :(

The entire entrance area looks SO strange now.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
12-13-2010, 04:58 AM
It does look very odd right now but the artwork showing what it is to look like when it is done is amazing. I hope it is similar to what art I have seen.

The CALIFORNIA letters are going to be used again somewhere. Based on how many people still take pictures by those things it'll happen.

:smickey:

2Epcot
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
On my last several trips to Disneyland, I always remind the people who are with me to get pictures with the letters before they go away.

Briar-Rose
12-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I don't like that they are taking out the Bay Area part of the park by taking away the Golden Gate. I feel like all of the new retheming is making it more of a LA Adventure instead of a CALIFORNIA Adventure. At least that's what I feel. I mean I like the idea of the 20's theme but I don't like the feeling that they are concentrating more on putting in LA and taking out the rest of the state. I don't know if this is true but aren't they also taking out the warf area? Honestly I don't go there much as there really isn't much there but instead of taking it out couldn't we add in?

frozman
12-22-2010, 01:06 AM
As someone from the east coast, I can't think of a better feeling than walking in the park and hearing the california songs in sunshine plaza.

onecuteaquarius85
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Anyone know the actual date the Little Mermaid ride will open?

NotaGeek
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
No date has been posted ... it's summer 2011 -- so odds are it will open by the start of high season mid-June.