PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for non-theme park days, on WDW propery

DCDisney
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm helping a co-worker with plans for a visit in April 2011. She will be travelling with her hubby and 2 small children (1-3 yrs old). They are staying at CBR. They will have a rental care. They are looking for things to do that the kids will like, on WDW property but not in the theme parks.

I've gone many times, but not with children that young.

Suggestions ?..............Thanks !

MOJoe
12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
My son does not remember the WDW trip we made when he was 3. So it doesn't really matter what they do. Might as well stay at their resort and swim. Kids love pools.

Gator
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Not sure why you'd stay at a Disney property and not go to a park, but here's some ideas for someone with a rental car. Leave Disney property! If you're not going to the parks, the really fun things are off property. They can drive about an hour east and head to the Kennedy Space Center. About two hours away is St Augustine where the Fountain of Youth is located. If they're football fans, the can drive an hour and a half north to Gainsville and head the Florida Gator stadium called The Swamp.

pox24
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Hotel hop. A guest pass will allow 3 hours at any hotel. Ride the Monorail to the CR, GF and Poly. Drive to the others. See animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village. Rent boats at boardwlk and Beach Club. Visit the Boardwalk at night to watch the jugglers, magicians and other acts. Take a hayride at Fort Wilderness, visit the petting zoo there too. Go the movies at Downtown Disney. Thee's alot more than just the parks.:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
For children 1-3, the normal answers like "go to the mini-golf courses" really won't work. I suggest spending time at the resort's pool would be great as would maybe a trip to one of the water parks which do have sections designed for the much younger set.

If they do want to venture off-site, there's the Orlando Science Center (but again, their age does limit how much they'd enjoy it).

pox24 has some great ideas as well! :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Look for playgrounds at resorts.

Downtown Disney has a splash fountain near the Marketplace bus stop.

Campfire at Fort Wilderness, before the movies.

AKL to see the animals is a great idea. When we were there in the early evening, they had kids parade with instruments in the lobby. And storytelling at the campfire.

Ride the boats and ferries around Bay Lake. Stop for an ice cream at one of the resorts. Look for more playgrounds.

Electrical Water Pageant, if they're up that late.

diz_girl
12-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Visiting the MK resorts is probably their best bet for things to do without spending much, if any, money, outside of food. They can ride the monorail, ride the ferry from the TTC to/from the MK, ride the boats to the different resorts, including the WL and FW, which are outside the monorail loop. They can check out the waterfall and geyser at the WL resort and check out the petting zoo, pony rides and campfire at FW. There are good places to eat at all of the resorts and visiting them can take up a large part of the day. There are also bike rentals at WL and FW, in addition to boat rentals.

The MK resorts are easy to get to, since the bus from the CBR can take them there and they can hop a monorail or boat to the resort of their choice.

faline
12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Kids that age really won't be all that hard to entertain - they would like just hanging out at their resort and spending time at the pool. The movie at Fort Wilderness might be fun. As a family, they could rent a pontoon boat and go for a leisurely cruise.

TexansInNY
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
or sandcastles / playground at the resort beach - has served us well at WL.

buzznwoodysmom
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I had a ton of things to recommend until I saw the kids' ages. With kids that young its probably best to just enjoy the resort pool that day. Many people recommend the monorail resorts, which I love as well. However, it may be more exciting for their kids to see the value resorts. When my kids were that age they loved seeing the Toy Story section at All Star Movies.

LVT
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
It seems like most Resorts have playgrounds of some sort. Adults could look through the different resorts on the way to a playground.
Lego store has tables to play on with legos.
POP has Disney character giant icons.
Resort pool areas often have tiny tot water areas, (think sprinkler) as well as a kiddie pool.