PDA

View Full Version : Opinions from those who drive...

TinyDancer
12-07-2010, 09:48 AM
I live in SE PA, right near where PA meets with DE and MD. Google Maps has it taking 16 hours from our point of departure to Fort Wilderness. I assume it will take longer, obviously, because we'll need to stop a few times on the way down (though I foresee the speed of traffic being faster than the posted speed limit and thus making up time that way, haha). We're not stopping for any meals or anything like that, but quick bathroom and gas stops only. We have 4 drivers, all who are perfectly capable of driving 4+ hours at a stretch and we've broken the trip down into segments for each person. We'd leave around 3am on a Sunday, no matter what happens after that. Here's where I need your help.

One option is to drive straight through and spend one night at an All-Star or whatever, stopping at fast food on the way in for dinner. I anticipate getting in around 10 or 11 that night. The next day we'd relax and explore the hotels and have a non-park day so as to recover from the drive.

Second option is to drive to at least Savannah, GA before stopping for the night. I'm sure we can find A hotel we can call and get a room on the fly. Do you think there are any hotels around property we could get last minute for one night? I assume not one ON property, haha. We can just drive as far as we can and then stop. A few questions I have regarding traffic in and around Orlando on a Monday I'll be posting in a seperate post. We'd plan our departure time from this hotel based on that information. Regardless, this will be a non-park day so it doesn't really matter much (except obviously we'd like to be on property as soon as possible!!)

Does anyone who's driven this far have any thoughts on this? Which would be best? Thanks so much in advance guys!!!

rubato
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
We've driven 2 times and flown 2 times. Once we drove pulling a camper. We had a 21-22 hour drive. There is no way we would have driven straight through. However, we are 2 drivers and we had a longer drive. If it were me, I'd just play it by ear and see how everyone is feeling. I like to have all the hotel options planned out in case we get to a certain distance. Then, the next distance, then the next, so that we can just drive until we want to stop.

Can't help with Orlando hotels. We always stayed farther out. Sorry. As far as traffic, it's never been bad, but we aren't getting in during rush hour. That could definitely make a difference.

hoop de do
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
We have driven non-stop (except for mother nature breaks) from Fort Wilderness to Western PA in about 16 1/2 hours. That was with three drivers. Depending on your breaks and speed :car: I think you should make in 16 hours.
Have a great vaca. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

btharvey
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I used to live in DelCo in SE PA, so I know your drive ... I now drive from Southern Maryland, about 2.5 hours closer to WDW.

We've driven straight once ... never again. We always go half-way, which for us is just into South Carolina. We've done it with a trailer and without, but we can't imagine wrecking ourselves for two days (driving and recovering), when we'd take two more easy-going days driving anyway.

Don't kill yourselves -- arrive relatively refreshed, not dead.

mludman
12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Last time I drove, 2 yrs ago, it took exactly 16 hrs straight through from south jersey with a stop for a sit down meal. we left after dinner and drove through the night, stopping for gas and breakfast.

kakn7294
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
We often drive from the other side of the state near Pittsburgh. It generally takes us about 17.5 - 18 hrs driving straight through overnight including our stops - generally just for gas / potty breaks and breakfast. We have stopped near Savannah for a room overnight - the Pooler area off I-95 is a good location for a lot of hotels. Once you cross over into Florida, there are not a lot of hotels once you pass Jacksonville until you reach Daytona and those are a bit off of the highway. There are also not a lot directly along I-4 until you reach the Orlando and theme park areas.

PETE FROM NYC
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Flying 13 times
Driving the last 2 trips

DW and I are both handicapped, with problems walking. I can't walk very good but I can drive easily. I am the only driver. I started driving because I just can't do all the walking an airport requires. She has her own scooter in the back of the car, and I rent one when we get there from an outside vendor.
I like to do the trip with 2 1/2 days of driving, about 1100 miles one way. We bring a bunch of sandwiches and drinks for the trip, and overnight at Best Western. We arrived in WDW area a day early and do a one nighter at Knights Inn for under $40.
It does cost us a bit more this way, but we don't have any of the hassles involved with flying these days, such as excessive luggage fees or getting groped by TSA. And with both of us being retired, our time is our time.

Buttercup
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
We drive every year -- except for us it's around 22 hours. :-o
We used to do it straight through - it was tough. One would be sleeping while the other was driving, but now that we're older and have kids, it's just not possible.
So what we do instead is similar to your "Plan B": we start driving at midnight on Friday night (so the kids can sleep part of the way and are quiet!). We end up having breakfast in Kentucky, lunch in Tennessee, and then stopping around dinnertime on Saturday in Macon Georgia.
Sunday morning we wake up and hit the road again, and are usually at WDW just after lunch.

If you're looking for a room near Disney but not on site, look at hotels on I-192 in Kissimmee. A lot of them are considered "Main Gate" hotels, meaning, they are right outside the main gates of Disney World. You'll have better luck there than back on the I-4. It's chock-ful of hotels & motels, but it's also a very touristy spot so you might have to call a few different places to find a vacancy.

IamaDisneyFan
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
We drive every year from Lancaster County, PA and it takes us (2 adults, 2 young kids) no more than 16 hours. We have done it in as little at 14 1/2! Course, we are not hauling a camper!

A few times we have left at 2 am and driven straight through. It's exhausting, but well worth it when you arrive in warmth and sun after leaving bitter cold! We love the Comfort Suites Maingate East for our off property resting place before Disney.

Have fun!! :mickey:

GrumpySue
12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Just this past October my husband and I left our home in New York City at 4:15 am and were checking into our disney hotel at 9:30 that night. However the weather was perfect, it was a Sunday and there were very few people on the roads. We only stopped once a Cracker Barrel for breakfast for around 30 minutes. Other than that we took turns driving until the gas ran out. Be safe and play it by ear. You can always stop and continue the next day. :mickey:

Janmac
12-13-2010, 12:38 AM
We're about 1150 miles from WDW. We like to overnight once on the way down. We like to leave early - about 4:30 or 5 am - on both days. We generally drive about 2/3 of the way the first day. This way, on the second day we arrive early afternoon to WDW and usually get assigned a room right away. And we're not exhausted from driving all the way. We usually have at least 2 drivers. Last time had 3, which was great. We did the 4 hours each behind the wheel.

If we're pulling the trailer, we're more likely to do 3 days. But DH says he's not pulling the trailer down to Fort Wilderness again for only a week's stay. Guess that means I can look forward to an extended FW stay at some point in the future! :D

Jan

brivers222
12-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Tifton, GA is a great place to stop.. only 4-5ish hours outside of Disney.

also, there are plenty of hotels you can get a room at before your trip down there... that area is hotel heavy :)

LVT
12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
We try to get as far as possible. I keep hotel chain books in the car so we can start calling ahead for a room at the upcoming towns.

frozman
12-21-2010, 02:32 AM
We try to get as far as possible. I keep hotel chain books in the car so we can start calling ahead for a room at the upcoming towns.

That's what a smart phone is for ;)
They are lifesavers.

Many major hotel chains have mobile websites that you are automatically directed to if you are using a smart phone, and they use GPS to track where you are and show hotels based on your location, or you can search a city that's coming up and then either call the hotel or book right there on your smart phone (via the web)

One time on the way back from Disneyland my 2nd flight was cancelled (I knew about it before I left SNA), and I used my phone to get a room at one of the on airport hotels at DFW. Hotel ended up being booked solid that night due to all the cancellations, but thanks to my smart phone I got in.

wdwfansince75
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
With daughters in MD and PA, and lots of relatives in NEPA (DW and I both grew up there), we travel that way often. We usually pick up the motel guides at rest areas, and look for discounts near where we plan to stop or stay. These last minute calls have always been better than even frequent traveler, AAA, AARP, or military discounts. Note that the guides are for the current month, and for the state (or region) where they are distributed.

finaldynasty
12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I've driven from Mass before. My recommendation would be to stop between SC and northern FL. That way you can wake up take a short drive and be more fresh when you get to WDW. My rule of thumb is to not drive more then 13 hours with out stopping for the evening.

JMO

:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm from Montgomery County, SE PA as well! Anyway, we have never driven to WDW but have been to Orlando several times without going to WDW and have stayed at hotels "on the fly." Orlando hotels are always beautiful, clean and very accommodating. You shouldn't have a problem finding a hotel in Orlando if that is what you choose to do. I would recommend a Marriott, but that's just our family. :blush:

TinyDancer
12-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the help! What does anyone think the chances are of us being able to grab a room at a Disney hotel (Value) with only a few hours notice? Though I'm pretty sure we'd be able to make it straight through and be able to plan ahead, haha.