PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Chart?

familyof5
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
My family will be taking our first trip to DW in a few days(December 10-18). I'm starting to freak out a bit about transporation from park to resorts, etc. We'll be driving down for WI, so we'll have a vehicle, but we plan on using Disney's transporation as much as possible. Is there some sort of transportation chart so we know what takes us where and how long it will take? I don't want to be late for any reservations I've made! Plus we want to visit other resorts and I have NO clue how to navigate from place to place.

Strmchsr
12-06-2010, 04:42 PM
All buses and other forms of transportation are clearly marked for their destination, so you shouldn't get lost. The ques are also clearly marked so you don't get in the wrong one.

In general, plan on waiting 10-15 for the bus to take you to where you're going, then about another 15 min travel time. Suggest you look over the Getting Around (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/transportation/gettingaround.asp) page in Info Central.

kakn7294
12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I see you want to visit other resorts. Just so you know, there is limited resort to resort transportation. Resorts that can only be reached by bus have no direct connections between them. The Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian resorts on the monorail line can obviously all be reached by monorail but be sure to get on the resort monorail, not the express monorail. Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness can be reached from those same 3 resorts and from each other by boat. The Yacht and Beach Clubs, Boardwalk Inn, and the Swan and Dolphin resorts can be reached by the Friendship Launches or simply walking. You can walk between the Port Orleans resorts and you can walk from Downtown Disney to Saratoga Springs. Allow at least an hour to travel to and from locations and add more time if you are traveling resort to resort in an area with no direct transportation between those resorts. It's really not a difficult system and things are very clearly marked.

familyof5
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks so much for the input, this makes me feel better! Coming from a small town (2,600 people), we don't have community transportation...we drive everywhere! So using the buses and such is going to be quite an interesting trip for our family!

faline
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I would always allow an hour to get to a dining reservation (or any other reservation for that matter). If you've jut missed a bus, you could wait another 15-20 minutes for the next one (occasionally longer). When you check in, you'll be provided with information on the transportation system. If ever you're unsure of where you should be or what mode of transportation you should take, ask a bus driver, or boat driver or another transportation cast member. Things are well marked and I'll bet you'll be getting around like a pro before you know it!

MOJoe
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I love using Disney transportation. Letting Disney do the driving is part of the vacation for me. There are lots of people that use their cars, but mine stays parked till i check out. I am just not comfortable navagating WDW, well marked or not.

The thing to know about getting around WDW is that it is big. Really Big, compared to a town of 2600. And moving takes time. For example, it can take well over 20 minutes just to exit Epcot. So while 1 hour may sound like a lot of time to get from place to place, it really isn't.

Getting from a resort to a park is pretty easy. Getting from a resort to another resort is not, in most cases. So plan your days with that, and your ADR in mind.

wdwfansince75
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
While driving at WDW is not difficult, initially, learning the layout of the complex can be confusing. Every single WDW bus driver knows the layout better than you do....so use them. Not sure of all your ADR's, but buses to/from all four parks are the best way to go for a first timer, IMHO. From the parks, to other resorts for ADR's, the best soloution is usually the park to resort buses for that resort, or the monorail for Contemporary, Poly, or Grand Floridian. Even if you don't need to visit these three resorts, riding the monorail is an attraction in itself, and stopping at these resorts allows you to start the planning for your next trip!

If you are stuck at a resort, trying to get back to POR, best approach is to take most direct park transportation from that resort, and then, the bus from the park back to your resort. And, there are always cabs.
It is not as confusing as it first appears. And there are always CM's to ask.

And as with life itself, WDW transportation is not perfect, but in reflection, there have been many more pleasant memories than temporary (and oft written about) inconveniences.

As for your luggage issue, all resorts have bell service, and parking is not that long a walk.

Silver_Surfer
01-10-2011, 01:05 AM
sorry wrong fourm

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Transportation is clearly marked. Rule of thumb, if traveling by bus, :bus: allow an extra 30-45 min (sometimes an hour) as the buses stop at other resorts as well. Monorail transport to the Poly, GF, and Contemporary is a ride in itself, a boat to the Wilderness Lodge and Ft Wilderness from MK :sail: is a short but enjoyable voyage, Monorail from MK to Epcot has to transfer @ the TTC. Walking is an option Epcot to BYC and Boardwalk...there is a multitude of transportation options, so don't limit yourself to just the buses.

LVT
01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I like the 'Unofficial Guide' . It goes into great detail and includes a 2 page point to point time graph. Sometimes driving is better if that is an option.

RBrooksC
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Except for the Monorail, I HATE Disney Transportation. I would much rather walk to my car and drive to where I want to go.

This way, I know everybody in my family has a seat, we can listen to something on the radio, and I can control when I leave and how I get there.

There is much more freedom on my vacation when I drive where I need to go.

Dulcee
01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
When I went growing up we always used our car.

1. My father gets very sick on buses.
2. We liked not having to hang around and wait for a bus/fight for a seat.

Now that being said when we could use the monorail or a boat we always went that route as they tend to be less crowded and more enjoyable overall.

When I started going with my now fiance we flew in and had no choice but to use the buses. From my experience for the most part they come quickly, the rides aren't bad and they are well marked as to where the are going.

BUT If I have the choice I would always use my own car over the buses. Personally I find WDW to be well marked and if you can read a sign and follow an arrow it makes for an easy time driving around the world. And if you are staying at a WDW resort there is never any additional parking charges.