PDA

View Full Version : Irked at Chef Mickey's Photo Package

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I was going to use offended/insulted, but that's a bit too strong, irked or perturbed is probably better.

After 8 days in the parks we had our last dinner at Chef Mickey's. Having never eaten there we saw the picture spot with Mickey and the large plate backdrop. While we were waiting to be seated (we had our ticket) we decided to walk over and get our picture taken, assuming it was a photopass opportunity. They said, nope, don't need it, then took a picture of our ticket and us and sent us on our way. It didn't take me long to realize what was waiting for us. Sure enough, before the end of the meal they came by and asked if we want to buy the photo, for $30!!!

Ok we just spent well over $100 on a family of 5 and now we are asked to spend $30 for a few digital photos? It was the easiest no I ever said. Even DW was irratated by it and said no right away. $10, maybe I would have said what the heck, but $30 felt like price gauging. I know to expect the pictures off of the rides, and we actually bought a few, but this just seemed like highway robbery.

Maybe it was just because it was our last night and we had spent a lot during the week, but it didn't sit well with me.:mad:

Granny Jill A
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow! Thirty bucks on top of the meal itself? That's incredible. We saw many people lined up for the pic, but we never imagined it was that expensive. I would feel gouged as well.

DizneyRox
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Yep, many of the character meals do that. Donald's, and Chef Mickeys are ones I can confirm. I think HDD does as well...

Yes, $30 is WAY steep for pictures printed on the spot. I agree... I don't think we'll be doing many more, we already skip the photo op at HDD, will probably pass on the others as well.

Did you ask for them to take the photo with your camera? I'm not sure if they do that anymore... I don't think we asked last time either.

We saw many people lined up for the pic, but we never imagined it was that expensive.
They like to funnel people over to the picture spot as if it's required. I'm sure they way they do it generates significantly more revenue than letting people know up front that it's an extra charge. Yeah, when they stop by the table afterwards it does kindof hit you in the gut. I don't mind telling them as much either.

Melanie
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
'Ohana's does it as well.

WDW&MK
12-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Although I DO think that $30 is extremely pricey, having this gimick is pretty standard at most resort and tourist places. I couldn't make a move in Hawaii when we went a few years ago without every activity we signed up for doing this - on top of the price we paid for the activity (cruises, a comedy show, luau, every tour etc). So, although I do expect Disney to be above some of that I am not surprised when they do it too.

Joannelet
12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Was Mickey only at the front or was he also walking around the restaurant eventually?
If he was just at that spot where you had to pay $30 for them I will be even MORE IRRITATED.....

Strmchsr
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Was Mickey only at the front or was he also walking around the restaurant eventually?
If he was just at that spot where you had to pay $30 for them I will be even MORE IRRITATED.....

Unless it's changed again recently, he's only at the photo spot. However, I'm fairly certain you can put that pic on your photopass card. I'm not 100% certain about that, but I know I saw someone commenting about that recently. Maybe someone else can confirm.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM

The character Mickey walked around the entire restaraunt, as well as Goofy, Donald and Pluto.

At the picture spot that I described, it's actually a small statue of Chef Mickey that you stand behind, then behind you is a large plate backdrop. So I guess to make it even worse the $30 is a picture of you with a statue not even the character himself.

This was the first time we've eaten at a restaraunt that has done this. I'm used to it on cruises. Heck, every time you walk in/out of the bathroom they want to take and sell you a photo. But, other than at the ride giftshops, this was the first time I came across it. For what we paid, it should have been part of the package. At $30 it's basically "get over it, we know you want it and that you'll pay it". Fortunately for us it was our last night, everyone was exhausted and it was a no-brainer to hand it right back.

DizneyRox
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
... I'm fairly certain you can put that pic on your photopass card. I'm not 100% certain about that, but I know I saw someone commenting about that recently. Maybe someone else can confirm.
I can confirm, but you get the code when you buy the photo (it's on the photo). I don't think they would appreciate opening it up to grab the code and then not buying the package.

Melanie
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Unless it's changed again recently, he's only at the photo spot.

That was only about a 2 week trial. Mickey is back to circulating the tables.

Just wanted to mention the picture with the fake Mickey and plate has been around for years. We had one done in 2003.

KylesMom
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Honestly, we've bought one of these photo packages from Chef Mickey's since we first began taking trips in 2000. There is one for each trip on a wall in our kitchen and it shows how DS has "grown up" at Disney, from the first experience in 2000 to our most recent one in 2010. Frankly, I think it's kinda cool . . . although I prefer the old backdrop to the new one. In the first picture, DH and I are kneeling next to DS. Now, the photo clearly shows that DS is as tall as I am!

As far as adding to your photopass pics, you can do so - we've done it the past few years. It's in the form of an "Event Code" and is located at the bottom of your purchase receipt.

Strmchsr
12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
That was only about a 2 week trial. Mickey is back to circulating the tables.

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the update, Mel.

Gator
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
My big beef with the whole thing is what a few others alluded to. If you were taking the pic with the real Mickey:mickey:, it might be worth $30. But it's just a short fake statue. Do they think we're stupid? Not even the real thing and $30?

lovinmesomedisney
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I just take my own photo with my own camera and then I have it for free! If they are going to hoard my family over there, I am going to take my own picture! We usually travel with others, so they take our picture, and we take theirs. We have never been told not to do this, so I will continue taking my own!

mickeyman42
12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
its the same way at 1900 park fare as well. $30 for your picture in front of a painted mural of cinderellas castle. We just shrug it off, no harm done. It also makes the included picture package at askurshus seem more special!

Ian
12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Eh ... I mean, as someone said before this is pretty standard stuff for tourist traps.

We've taken to visiting the Great Wolf Lodge near us (indoor water park chain ... kinda fun) and let me tell you, their price gouging is as bad, if not worse, than Disney's.

We just say no. That's all. It doesn't personally offend me, but I will say that we're becoming more and more disenchanted with the character meals in general. I mean, when you have to pay like $120 for a family of four to eat a really, really bad buffet and then on top of that asked to pay $30 for a couple of pictures ... that's where the line is drawn for us.

We used to do pretty much all of the big character meals on a trip (Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, CRT, etc.), but we're down to basically just one to keep the kids happy. If we want to meet characters, we wait in line in the parks for them.

2Epcot
12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Ok we just spent well over $100 on a family of 5 and now we are asked to spend $30 for a few digital photos? It was the easiest no I ever said. Even DW was irratated by it and said no right away. $10, maybe I would have said what the heck, but $30 felt like price gauging.

We felt the same way when we went there on my last trip. We had a large group and I don't believe anyone bought the package.

When we were there we had Mickey and the characters walking around. We took plenty of pictures when they came to our table.

TexansInNY
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Same as Kyle's Mom we started these years ago and eat there every trip first night (such as this Saturday! :party:) - it is great to see our 1 kid then another baby now all walking - not great seeing the price go up every time.. :) but can't stop now!

BugeyedMuggy
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM
They do the same thing at the HDD and we always give them our camera and have them take a few photos for us. We bought the package once and feel it was worth the memory for our group that one time.

brivers222
12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
its the same way at 1900 park fare as well. $30 for your picture in front of a painted mural of cinderellas castle. We just shrug it off, no harm done. It also makes the included picture package at askurshus seem more special!

lol yeah the waitress looked confused when I tried to hand her my credit card at CRT... i was like well i know i want the picture here is the card....

It was a pleasant surprise that Akerhus and CRT didn't charge... 'Ohana and 1900PF's all charged for them. I remember in 2004 you at least got your picture with Mary Poppins at the 1900PF breakfast.... that mural is cheesy

Once you buy them they give you a code to link to your photopass... Before you agree to buy the person never leaves your side so there is no way you can get the code without buying it.

crltkcagle
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
LOL We didn't realize what was happening at 1900 Park Fare when we were told to wait in line for a picture. I just figured it would be a Photopass thing. Well when they came to our table with the picture package and asked for 30 bucks my dh liked to have a heart attack! What I don't understand is why the waste the paper and ink to print all these pictures out beforehand if your not even going to purchase them?

mom2morgan
12-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm surprised you haven't come across that before - it happens in several other places as well (Akershus comes to mind). I agree the price is really very high - we bought 'em on our first trip, and at Cindy's table they are included in the already outrageous pricing, but I won't buy them again. And if you think THAT is bad...we were in Disneyland this summer and at at Goofy's Kitchen (same set up, but the prices were much higher!)

I was going to use offended/insulted, but that's a bit too strong, irked or perturbed is probably better.

After 8 days in the parks we had our last dinner at Chef Mickey's. Having never eaten there we saw the picture spot with Mickey and the large plate backdrop. While we were waiting to be seated (we had our ticket) we decided to walk over and get our picture taken, assuming it was a photopass opportunity. They said, nope, don't need it, then took a picture of our ticket and us and sent us on our way. It didn't take me long to realize what was waiting for us. Sure enough, before the end of the meal they came by and asked if we want to buy the photo, for $30!!!

Ok we just spent well over $100 on a family of 5 and now we are asked to spend $30 for a few digital photos? It was the easiest no I ever said. Even DW was irratated by it and said no right away. $10, maybe I would have said what the heck, but $30 felt like price gauging. I know to expect the pictures off of the rides, and we actually bought a few, but this just seemed like highway robbery.

Maybe it was just because it was our last night and we had spent a lot during the week, but it didn't sit well with me.:mad:

Disney4us2
12-11-2010, 09:02 PM
We came across the same thing last week. At 1900 Park Fare, we didn't take the picture. It was just with a tree and no characters. I did buy the one with Donald at Tusker House breakfast, since it was my DD's birthday.

It was the same thing at the exit of the rides. I just didn't take the ticket to buy those pictures. Test Track is the only one for now that does photopass.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
When my oldest daughter was about 5, they came around at the end of the meal with the photo package and we brushed the server away and said no, at which point my daughter started crying and wondering why we didn't want a picture of her? Sigh. We were out $30 that day (or whatever it cost back then!).

Becky2005
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to mention the picture with the fake Mickey and plate has been around for years. We had one done in 2003.

Yes, we had the exact thing in 2005.

We also had the same type of picture taken at Donald's Breakfast back in 2005. I don't know if they still do it or not though.

I'm thinking those were the only 2? We did the Princess breakfasts but that was before they did photo included things.

We have never done the Lilo & Stitch breakfast but I think I've seen posed pictures there too with a surfboard? I might be mixing that up though.

forever a child
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
LOL We didn't realize what was happening at 1900 Park Fare when we were told to wait in line for a picture. I just figured it would be a Photopass thing. Well when they came to our table with the picture package and asked for 30 bucks my dh liked to have a heart attack! What I don't understand is why the waste the paper and ink to print all these pictures out beforehand if your not even going to purchase them?

When we went to 1900 Park Fare we were ushered into a line and I saw them taking photos in front of the mural. I immediately asked if this could be placed on our photopass card or was it a separate deal. They told me it was separate so I told them I was not interested. (That line was long too!) So they moved me to the food line to wait for someone to seat us. Another triumphal moment of being well informed, thanks to Intercot! :thumbsup: For the record...I really liked the photo at Akershus. The $30 cost is just incorporated into the cost of the meal...so I don't feel the sting nearly as bad, LOL ;)

mom2morgan
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
For the record...I really liked the photo at Akershus. The $30 cost is just incorporated into the cost of the meal...so I don't feel the sting nearly as bad, LOL ;)
Oh, that's good to know! Last time we were there it was a (substantial) extra cost. By the same token, though - I now see that the cost of a MEAL there has gone up A LOT. I think I preferred it when the meal was cheaper and you could decide whether or not to get the picture - that is what I really hated about Cinderella's Royal Table.

RedSoxFan
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
We ate at Chef Mickeys in December and we just opted out of having the picture taken. I was not going to buy it so I couldn't see standing in line. The lady there didn't seem to happy with my decision. Oh well.