PDA

View Full Version : Help What to pack for cold weather?

forever a child
12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Ok, DD and I are getting a bit frustrated at trying to figure out what to pack for this trip. Our dates are Dec 12-18 and the weather looks like it will be all over the place! I really hate being cold...:freeze::snowball::sun:

We usually only take what we can carry....but it looks like we have to layer and so I don't know if we will need real winter jackets or what. If you have had experience in WDW during the winter time...please help!

I was thinking of sweat shirt with winter jacket but they will be so large to carry around when not wearing! We have a couple of small fleece type blankets for when we are sitting for night shows. I am bringing gloves and hats. But it is the sweat shirt/jacket thing that is getting to me!

Thanks for the suggestions!

faline
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Most of the time, we've been fine with sweatshirts but have also been there when it's been cold enough for real winter coats! I'd suggest mostly going for layers (including sweathshirts) but would also suggest taking your winter coats, mittens, and hats! You might need them!

Disney Hungarian
12-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm going at the same time. I would suggest a hoodie that you can tie around your waist for the mornings and evenings. I am going to take khakis and jeans and just 2 pairs of shorts, since it may be warm enough for them on the 17th-18th. We will probably have rain on Sunday and the ponchos are great at keeping you dry and warm at the same time. It's winter in Florida, ya never know what to expect.

2MuchWDFun
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
It was pretty chilly last year--we were there from the 18th-23rd of December. I was surprised how cold, damp and breezy it was at night. I thought being from western PA I'd be used to the cold. NOT!

Anyway, bring lots of warm socks, gloves, a hat, and a scarf. Then layer long sleeve shirts with a fleece jacket or hoodie. If it's really cold you might want to add a windproof jacket over the hoodie, or try a puffer vest. We will be prepared this year--the temps look like they will be cold again-at least there won't be a foot of snow on the ground like we'll have by tomorrow up here in Steeler country.
You may want to rent a locker on the days you'll be in the parks from morning until night. Otherwise, you can wear warmer weather clothes during the morning and afternoon, go back to your room in the late afternoon and pick up your winter wear for the evening. That way you are not lugging around a coat all day.

forever a child
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
It was pretty chilly last year--we were there from the 18th-23rd of December. I was surprised how cold, damp and breezy it was at night. I thought being from western PA I'd be used to the cold. NOT!

Anyway, bring lots of warm socks, gloves, a hat, and a scarf. Then layer long sleeve shirts with a fleece jacket or hoodie. If it's really cold you might want to add a windproof jacket over the hoodie, or try a puffer vest. We will be prepared this year--the temps look like they will be cold again-at least there won't be a foot of snow on the ground like we'll have by tomorrow up here in Steeler country.
You may want to rent a locker on the days you'll be in the parks from morning until night. Otherwise, you can wear warmer weather clothes during the morning and afternoon, go back to your room in the late afternoon and pick up your winter wear for the evening. That way you are not lugging around a coat all day.

Thanks for the advise. This was what I was looking for. Wish it was going to be a little warmer...but like my DD says..."Mom, you be in Disney World!" So I guess I'll be cold but I'll be happy about it. :winter:

Nut4DW
12-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I am having the same problem with packing - how do I get everything you need for such a wide spread weather forecast in one suitcase that weighs under 50 pounds....I will carry a coat/jacket on the plane but everything else is always so heavy. Oh well, I guess it is a great problem to have - at least I'm going to Disneyworld. Just 4 days and 14 hours and we'll be on the plane :mickey:

forever a child
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I am having the same problem with packing - how do I get everything you need for such a wide spread weather forecast in one suitcase that weighs under 50 pounds....I will carry a coat/jacket on the plane but everything else is always so heavy. Oh well, I guess it is a great problem to have - at least I'm going to Disneyworld. Just 4 days and 14 hours and we'll be on the plane :mickey:

We are driving for the first time...so we will have plenty of space to bring everything...LOL!
14 hour drive...here I come!

2MuchWDFun
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Each person can bring a good sized carry-on or backpack onto the plane. That way you can pack some of your clothes in your carry on--displacing some of the weight from your checked baggage.
We're going Southwest so fortunately we are allowed 2 bags each.

Dakota Rose
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
We're going the end of January and I'm in the same predicament.

However, since I'm fairly certain it won't be below 0 as it will be in ND in January, I'm looking forward to "warmer" weather. LOL.

megustamex
12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
We went 2 years ago at the end of January/beginning of February and it was a high of 50 almost every day. Coming from Chicago we didn't think that would be bad but we were freezing!! Most of the day it was in the 40's, and at night, colder. We had worn our winter coats on the plane and boy were we glad. We dressed in winter coats, hats, and gloves almost every day. They had mittens and hats for sale at all of the Disney stores and people were buying them like crazy. It was funny to see how people dressed to stay warm - you could see a lot of people hadn't expected it and just started layering on anything they had. Bring your winter coat on the plane (because it's free to carry that on!) and definitely bring a few pairs of jeans, along with a sweatshirt or light jacket for warmer days. Of course you'll probably have some crazy days where it goes up to the 70's and then you'll want to break out the shorts too! As long as you have a winter coat you'll be prepared for anything - then you don't have to bring a bunch of layering items. Like someone mentioned you can get a locker for the coat during the day - it's worth it.

Buttercup
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
We went 2 years ago at the end of January/beginning of February and it was a high of 50 almost every day. Coming from Chicago we didn't think that would be bad but we were freezing!! Most of the day it was in the 40's, and at night, colder. We had worn our winter coats on the plane and boy were we glad. We dressed in winter coats, hats, and gloves almost every day. They had mittens and hats for sale at all of the Disney stores and people were buying them like crazy. It was funny to see how people dressed to stay warm - you could see a lot of people hadn't expected it and just started layering on anything they had.
I was there at the same time! Boy, oh boy, were we glad to have the kids winter coats with us. But DH and I didn't bring ours -- we opted for our "spring jackets" instead, and we suffered. Every day, I wore a t-shirt & 2 sweatshirts, and at night I added on my jacket as well as a winter hat I bought down there.
And that's coming from a Canadian that's used to cold winters! :D It was just so unusual being there during such cold weather -- in 30+ years of going to WDW I've never had to wear more than a pair of jeans or one sweater to keep warm.

Here's hoping this February is warmer!!!

sacandjac
12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Lol. We were there at the same time and almost froze to death. We drove and stopped at the outlet mall on the way and bought heavier coats. I wore long sleeves a fleece pullover and my big "puffy" jacket most days. We are from Louisiana and do not do well in the cold.

Sunshine1010
12-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm going Dec. 11-21 and The Weather Channel states the highs will range from 40-75, and the lows will range from 30-50.

So, how do you pack for that weather? You pack, and pack, and pack. lol. You basically have to bring everything. Sort of like when you carry a diaper bag. It has a little of everything in there....just in case.

It's going to be cold. The whole reason I go to WDW in December is to get away from cold weather and to be able to be warm in FL.

Last year in December....my girls wore summer dresses one day, ...and hats-gloves-2 pairs of socks-jacket the very next day.

rmdsmomluvup
12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
We just got back. When we landed it was over 80, when we left it was 44! Find a way to make room for the "real" winter coat, if it is expected to get anywhere near that cold during your stay. I packed ours but left them in our suitcases thinking we could "handle" the cold since we are from Upstate New York!! Boy was I wrong!! We froze our last day in jeans, long sleeve shirts and fleece jackets!!

cer
12-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I bring/wear long underwear. There is a real thin kind I bought at JC Penney called Cuddle Duds that have saved me at Disney during the cooler seasons (when we usually travel).

I also stock up on hand warmers. They are these little packages you open and shake and when they are exposed to air they heat up nicely for about 10 hours. Great for your pockets or inside the palm of your glove. I've gotten these at Walgreens.

Of course a hat and a scarf goes a long way to helping keep out the cool air.

And by the way, we were there, too. Early Feb 2009 BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

forever a child
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I bring/wear long underwear. There is a real thin kind I bought at JC Penney called Cuddle Duds that have saved me at Disney during the cooler seasons (when we usually travel).

I also stock up on hand warmers. They are these little packages you open and shake and when they are exposed to air they heat up nicely for about 10 hours. Great for your pockets or inside the palm of your glove. I've gotten these at Walgreens.

Of course a hat and a scarf goes a long way to helping keep out the cool air.

And by the way, we were there, too. Early Feb 2009 BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Thanks for the info on the hand warmers, I think I'll pick some up tomorrow! :thumbsup:

forever a child
12-09-2010, 01:10 PM

I just picked up a bunch of them today! Hope they work/help! Thanks for the info!!!!

ChipDale2708
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
We were there last week for the first blast of artic air - it was beyond cold. We're New Englanders but this was at times extremely uncomfortable. Thankfully I had watched the weather and we packed sweatshirts, scarves, gloves, ear muffs and hand warmers and wore heavier coats. But we started out wearing most of these items in the morning and by night time we were frozen. The sun was warm and not a cloud in the sky, but there was a pretty constant breeze so be prepared for wind burn. Lots of moisturizer!

Genie1953
12-13-2010, 11:31 PM
I was there about 11 years ago at this time of the year. I took the usual warm clothing and layered up. But the biggest surprise of all was when it sprinkled on us a bit so I pulled out my Disney poncho and put it on and believe it or not that was the warmest I had been. After that I pulled it out alot and wore it even when it wasn't raining. It seemed to break the cool breeze better than the rest of outerwear that I had been wearing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
We've always gone during winter months and some times its cold others its warm...I find layers work best for us...we usually wear jeans and short sleeve t-shirts or lightweight long sleeve shirts that can be rolled up if it turns warm...and fleece lined hoodies...if it gets warm I take my hoodie off and tie it around my waist so I don't have to worry about carrying it...

forever a child
12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input for our first Dec trip. We got the whole spectrum of weather. Mon & Tues there were frost advisories but we did EMH's at MK monday night thanks to long johns, hand warmers and the normal layers of clothes, jackets hats, gloves and scarves. By friday DD was in shorts and a t-shirt while it was in the low 70's! LOL

We had a great time and it was strange being there in the cold but we stayed warm and had a great trip!:mickey: