PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Hits Monorail Support Pillar in Epcot Parking Lot

Melanie
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
From Orlando Sentinel

Disney monorail halted after vehicle hits support pillar

A vehicle in the Epcot Center parking lot struck a monrail support pillar Saturday afternoon, shutting down the monorail loop between Epcot and the main Magic Kingdom ticketing center, witnesses said.

This is a developing story, so check back for updates.

faline
12-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Hope no-one was injured!

Wonder if the vehicle was a Disney owned vehicle or a guest vehicle?

faline
12-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I found the clipping. It said no-one was injured which is good! It also says the monorail is operational again as it was determined there was no damage to the pillar. Service was disrupted for about 40 minutes.

ibrowse17
12-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Hate to hear it, but glad it was not more serious.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm so glad it seems to be minor!

Melanie
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
From WESH

Crash Closes Disney World Monorail

Driver Seriously Injured After Hitting Monorail Support Beam

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A Disney World monorail was shut down for about 40 minutes on Saturday after a man crashed his pickup into one of the support beams.

The truck driver was seriously injured in the crash. Investigators said he lost control, hit a power pole and then hit the support beam near Epcot Center Drive and Bay Lake. The support beam was not damaged.

The driver was taken to Celebration Hospital in serious condition. His name has not been released. The Florida Highway Patrol said he may have had a medical issue that caused him to lose control of the truck.

The monorail shuttles passengers between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. Disney World officials said they shut it down as a precaution and later reopened it.

WDWfanatic742
12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
First of all, could the title of the news article above me be misinterpreted any more wrongly? (Especially after what happened last year, gotta love WESH...)

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often to be quite honest. I know that they have been starting to put better barriers around the beams in the past few weeks though.

Scar
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hope he's OK. But I can't see any way those things could be compromised by a car. Barriers? Those things are 1000X stronger than any "barrier".

Not2Loud
12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I am glad everything turned out ok for the most part and wish the driver a speedy recovery.

OT: Am I the only one that wishes there were monorail routes? I love the ridge between TTC and Epcot.