PDA

View Full Version : Police Investigate Slaying In Disney-Developed Town

Ian
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
(CNN) -- Police are investigating the first-ever homicide in a Disney-developed town in central Florida, officials said.

Osceola County police responded Monday to an emergency call at an apartment building in Celebration, Florida, after speaking with a neighbor who said she found 58-year-old Matteo Giovanditto dead in his home, according to police spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain.

Osceola police classified the death as a homicide, based on evidence found at the scene, according to a police statement. The victim's car was found Tuesday in Kissimmee, Florida, about 10 miles east of Celebration.

It is the first slaying in the picture-perfect town's 14-year history. Celebration's manicured lawns and classic movie theaters have drawn comparisons to the 1998 fictional drama "Pleasantville," in which two teens find themselves trapped in a 1950s-style television show.

The town is five miles south of Walt Disney World, among the world's largest and most visited resorts.

faline
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
There is, unforatunately, no place on earth that is immune from such tragedies. How sad.

Disney Hungarian
12-02-2010, 06:50 PM
WESH is also reporting a story of a man barricaded in his home in Celebration today, threatening to harm himself. Causing a stand-off with police and a locking down of the local schools.

ibrowse17
12-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Just heard about this. How horrible.

Joannelet
12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
OMG how sad and scary that is for everyone that resides there. :(

DizneyRox
12-03-2010, 05:43 AM
There's a story about a man who's family was killed and him being left for dead that has captured national attention, but the same thing happens all the time in the next town over and it doesn't even rate the local papers. Funny how some things are newsworthy and some things not.

SBETigg
12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
There's a story about a man who's family was killed and him being left for dead that has captured national attention, but the same thing happens all the time in the next town over and it doesn't even rate the local papers. Funny how some things are newsworthy and some things not.

I have friends who have known that family their whole lives. The same thing as that situation in the news- which really has no place in this conversation as it is a totally different and unrelated situation- does not happen all the time, which is what makes that one so horrifying and captures news. Home invasions might happen every day. Murders might happen every day. In that case, not an every day situation if you know the details but I won't go into it. It's horrific and no way related to this story. There aren't many cases like it at all. Why even bring it up here now in a thread on something not remotely similar? Two big losses in two days in a town that rarely sees crime let alone violent crime and murder/suicide is indeed obviously newsworthy, and sad.

Melanie
12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Disney town sees death for 2nd time in week

CELEBRATION, Fla. (AP) – Authorities were investigating another death Friday in the town Disney built just days after reporting its first homicide in its 14-year existence. This time it was a man who apparently killed himself after shooting at deputies.

Craig Foushee, 52, barricaded himself in a home Thursday for more than 14 hours, according to an Osceola County Sheriff's Office report. He shot at deputies several times, but deputies never returned fire because they were unable to acquire a target and no deputies were injured, authorities said.

Deputies entered the home early Friday and found him dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain said there was no connection between Foushee and Matteo Patrick Giovanditto, who was found slain in a condominium Tuesday. That homicide was the first for Disney's master-planned, picture-perfect central Florida community with 11,000 residents.

Giovanditto lived alone with his Chihuahua and had been slain over the long Thanksgiving weekend, authorities said. Neighbors hadn't seen him for days, so they filed a missing person's report, then went into his condo a day later and found him.

Giovanditto's death was an isolated incident, Lizasuain said.

According to online records from the Florida Division of Corporations, a man with Foushee's name and address is listed as the owner of Reliant Protection Group, a security and investigations company. The records show the business was dissolved on Sept. 24.

A man with Foushee's name on the networking website LinkedIn showed that in addition to being in the security business, he was a pilot for American Airlines for nearly 20 years and an Air Force pilot.

In a Facebook profile, a man with Foushee's name and the hometown of Celebration, Fla., is shown has having three daughters, who he described as "my treasures." The Facebook page also shows that in April, he posted that he "went from being married to single."

Photos also depict him at firing range where people are shooting guns and doing what he described as "convoy/motorcase IED-scenario training." One photo has the caption: "Dept. of Defense Pre-Ddeployment Tactical Training."

faline
12-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like this man was going through some very tough times. Very sad.

Mickey'sGirl
12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
It is very sad, Linda. I am also sorry for this poor man, and for the families within the community who were upset. My friend's daughter was in lock down at the school while this was going on. It is a very frightening thing for the children.

DizneyRox
12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Why even bring it up here now in a thread on something not remotely similar? Two big losses in two days in a town that rarely sees crime let alone violent crime and murder/suicide is indeed obviously newsworthy, and sad.
The only reason this is newsworthy is because Disney was attached to this town way back when. This wouldn't be a national story otherwise.

CrazyStudent
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Good heavens this is awful, no matter where it happens. Prayers and sympathies to the families of those involved.

shadowden
12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Tragic. Very tragic...

diz_girl
12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Tragic. Very tragic...

I agree. There is now a suspect in custody, a homeless man that the victim had known for a year.

As for the suicide, it's kind of bad for me to say, but I'm relieved that his was the only life that he took. There are so many reports now of a parent killing their children and then themselves. I hope that this man is now at peace, as he must have been truly despondent to do what he did.

princessgirls
12-07-2010, 09:26 AM
So tragic. Even in sleepy communities, evil lurks.

Julie:mickey:

BrerGnat
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
The only reason this is newsworthy is because Disney was attached to this town way back when. This wouldn't be a national story otherwise.

I'd venture to say that it's also newsworthy because this town (despite being located practically in Orlando) has not seen violent crime of this magnitude EVER. That's worth mentioning, considering the violent crime index of Orlando itself.

And yeah, of course it is newsworthy because of the Disney link. So what?