PDA

View Full Version : The Trip That Was And Then Wasn't

DizneyFreak2002
12-01-2010, 09:24 PM
So, I made plans for a week long Disney vacation with a friend of mine, someone I have never traveled with before. My other friend, the person I normally visit Walt Disney World with was unable to go due to school. I have DVC points that must be used by the end of January 2011 or else I lose them. Talking to this friend one night, we decided to book a week, at the beginning of November. I was just finishing up my last MBA class for the year (4 classes, 6 weeks a class, crammed into 30 weeks!!!), so I felt I needed to treat myself to a week of Disney. I guess getting three A's and an A minus is Disney vacation worthy. My friend lives in NJ but owns a house in Kissimee, and he wanted to go check up on the house and conduct business to convert the house to a rental property. So, without much discussion, we said WE'RE GOING TO WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!!

We discussed the accommodations, settling on a studio room for 4 nights in Saratoga Springs, then switching over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for 1 night, a one bedroom Savannah view room. I called the DVC Member Services and booked the rooms. I received the confirmations making this trip official.

My friend calls Disney Dining and books us a few meals. We make arrangements with friends in Orlando/Kissimmee aea to meet up and hang out with them during the week. We were going to spend a day or two exploring Wizarding World. We were going to park hop one day between Disney Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. We were going to spend an entire day in Epcot, leaving to check out Main Street Electrical Parade, then hearing back to Epcot to see Illuminations. We were going to miss Fantasmic, but I figure we would make that up by seeing Illuminations TWICE!!!! Friend of mine were going to purchase Blue Man Group tickets for our final night on vacation. Yes, I know, Blue Man Group is on Universal property. But not all last nights can be spent in Disney. We were going to shop in Downtown Disney, and say goodbye to Pleasure Island (Hyperion Wharf sounds great!!!!). We had everything planned out, not perfect, but planned nonetheless.

One night, I log onto Amtrak and I purchase my train ticket. I then, with my friend on the phone, try to purchase his train ticket for him. His AAA number was failing. I tried several times, and it failed each time. We called AAA and verified his number. We then called Amtrak, and the customer service lady tried. Failed for her as well. She was kind enough to put the tickets on reservation for him while he tried to find out the correct number. After trying a few more times, I figured out his correct number. So, we tied to purchase his tickets again. This time, the AAA number takes on Amtrak, but now his credit card was coming back rejected. We then spent the next hour calling his back trying to find out if funds were available and why the charge was being rejected. The bank told my friend funds were available and the card should not be getting rejected. Well, another call to Amtrak and again, card was rejected. My friend figured out what the problem was. He joined an ID protection company, and since he was the victim of identity theft, the company put a block on his credit cards. They wouldn't remove the block until he proved his identity with them. This was becoming a major pain. He refused to wait 5 business days. Instead, he went to the local Amtrak station to purchase his train ticket in person.

While we were working on the train ticket, he rented a hotel room for the Friday night before the Saturday we were leaving. he tried a different credit card, and this card worked. I thought something was strange (why not just use this card for the train ticket as well???), but I let it go. He mentioned something about using the new card for the hotel room because he earns points if he uses their credit card. OK, I accepted that explanation.

Now, here I am, with the reservations for my train ticket made and paid for, his hotel room paid for, the Disney resort rooms booked, and Disney dining booked. We were just waiting for my friend to get his train ticket. He headed over to the Amtrak ticket station to purchase his ticket with cash. He was going to get a multi-city ticket, leaving NJ from the station by my house, but coming home, stopping at the station closer to his house. He texts me from the station telling me the ticket agent was giving him a problem because he was buying a multi-city with cash. I understand their safety concerns, but man did I feel this was really pushing the "safety" spiel. For one half hour he argued with the ticket agent. He was told he was also on a no travel list due to the identity theft. I did not believe that for one minute, but that is what he claimed they told him. He then said they were going to sell him the ticket but he had to check in at 8:00 AM for the 11:30Am train. I also called that nonsense since, well, I never once had to ever check in for my train ride. I told him to call me so we can discuss the issue. No phone call ever came.

Well, fast forward to the week of the trip. He started complaining about his knee, how he couldn't walk, and how the gout was starting to hurt him. I told him to cancel the trip cause he'll have a lot of walking around to do. He said no way, he was going to Disney and nothing was stopping him. I gave him plenty of chances to cancel out, but he continued to insist he was going. I had my luggage packed on Thursday night, ready for a week of DISNEY!!!!

Friday night came along, and I text him asking when he was heading up to the hotel. He told me, at 5:00PM he was heading to the ATM then was leaving. He said he was taking the bus up, and should arrive by 8:30PM. I told him to text me when he left. I received no text. I text him back, asking what the story was. He told me he was waiting for him wife to get home,at 8:30 PM, from work, then he was leaving. I said OK, and again, text me when he left an when he arrived at the hotel. I made sure he had his train ticket and the Disney tickets packed. he confirmed he had everything pack, including his train ticket, and was ready to go. I said OK and left him to finish getting ready.

By 10:30, I had not heard from him I called but got his voice mail. I left him a message thinking maybe he didn't hear the phone or feel the vibration, or maybe he was in an area where service was lacking. Fifteen minutes passed, no return call or text. So I text him. No response. I tried again at 11:30. Again, voice mail. No response to my text. Our mutual friend called and he got the voice mail, and also no response to his text. I tried again at 12:30, and still nothing. I called the hotel and found out he had not checked in yet. I verified he did NOT cancel the reservation and the reservation was still live. I tried for a final time at 1:30 AM and more of the same. And again, he had not checked into the hotel. I went to bed hoping he was on his way up, and was only sidetracked.

Saturday morning, I woke up around 8:00 AM. I called the hotel and found out he never checked him and he never cancelled the reservation. I thought something was strange. I called him. No answer. I text him. No response. In fact, I never heard from him all morning. I decided, at that point, to call Amtrak to see if I'd lose the money or if I could transfer the ticket. Luckily I was able to transfer the reservation because I never had the ticket. So, I transferred my reservation to 2011. Before I hung up, I asked the lady if she could check for me to see if my friend had cancelled his ticket.She looked up his name and verified with me... HE NEVER BOUGHT A TICKET!!!! He was not on their passenger list. I was now furious because all along he told me he had his ticket purchased. All this time... Telling me he had the ticket, telling me he was going to Disney, telling me nothing was going to keep him from Disney, NOTHING.

The whole morning passed, and I never heard from him. He then texts our mutual friend saying Hi. Our friend asked him how the train ride was, knowing full well we didn't go. This so-called friend said he fell asleep last night. I said that's a lie. How can he tell me he tell me, at 8:30PM he was getting ready to leave, then suddenly he falls asleep. Also, we both knew he never purchased his train ticket. e also lied about a few other things, and I caught him in those lies.

Well, there ya are. Hollywood couldn't write a story as nutty as this. The end result? No Disney trip and I no longer speak to this so-called friend. Heck, he is no longer a friend of mine. He is now planning on being there in 2011 when our mutual friend and I are going to be there. I already told this mutual friend I am NOT going to be in his or his wife's company. If he thinks he is going to join us, he is sadly mistaken.

My rant is over. Sorry. :mad:

KylesMom
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Arghhhhh . . . I'm so sorry, Freak, that you've been working your tail off and had planned such a great trip - only to be treated in this manner by a "so called friend". It sounds like something more is definitely going on than just a guard on his identity block and falling asleep. Be really careful of this situation, my friend - I smell a RAT!

I guess getting three A's and an A minus is Disney vacation worthy. It most certainly is. Start planning that next trip without this loser!

divinedi
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
That's so sad. It always amazes me how disrespectful people can be about other peoples time, vacations, and money sometimes. If he didn't or couldn't go, he just should of told you, but to keep you hanging on like that, it's just rude.

Sorry you missed your vacation, the next one will be terrific!!

DizneyFreak2002
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Arghhhhh . . . I'm so sorry, Freak, that you've been working your tail off and had planned such a great trip - only to be treated in this manner by a "so called friend". It sounds like something more is definitely going on than just a guard on his identity block and falling asleep. Be really careful of this situation, my friend - I smell a RAT!

It most certainly is. Start planning that next trip without this loser!

You know, I thought something funny was up when he told he the ticket agent told him he had to check in at 8:00AM the morning we leave, while the train leaves at 11:22AM... Not only that, I have taken the train before... you don't have to check in... Only your luggage... The conductor walks up the aisle, asks for your ticket and ID, makes you down on the passenger manifest, and you are good to go.. that happens when you are already on the train.. I should have known then he was making up stories...

And 2011 is already planned and booked.. Just working out itinerary so I know what park hopper pass I need, what day we are going to Universal and how may days Wizarding World is keeping us away from Disney, and discussing dining plans...

DizneyFreak2002
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
That's so sad. It always amazes me how disrespectful people can be about other peoples time, vacations, and money sometimes. If he didn't or couldn't go, he just should of told you, but to keep you hanging on like that, it's just rude.

Sorry you missed your vacation, the next one will be terrific!!

2011 is alreayd booked.. Planning on being there for WDW's 40th... Even if nothing is done, I will be there just to say I was there.. 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake, overlooking MK, for 2 nights, with me and two dear friends (no, not the one above, though he was the one who originally planned this 40th anniversary trip, and somehow still thinks he is being included in everything LOL), and then a week at the treehouse villas in Saratoga Springs, unless I change over to a Savannah room view at Animal Kingdom Lodge!!!!

So, yes, 2011 will be great, especially since I will ahve 8 classes done by then, with only 4 left to get my MBA!!!!

RedSoxFan
12-02-2010, 07:30 AM
How awful. Some people are just unbelievable.

Joannelet
12-02-2010, 08:38 AM
If I were you I would have just went on the trip with myself :)
Forget about him. I can't believe how selfish some people can be. I don't understand why people cannot just say NO and that they don't want to go instead of leading people on.
I think I know a few of these type of people. It's awful.

faline
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't it have been much easier just to say "I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to go" at whatever point in the process he figured that piece out which was clearly long before you were set to depart?! So sorry to hear about your misadventure!

princessgirls
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
That is just plain 'ole AWFUL.

How can someone just do that??? With no regard to a person's feelings or how their actions are going to cause havoc on another person. To lie so outrageously is seriously scary. Be Thankful that you got out when you did.

Really sorry your trip didn't pan out. That does stink!!

Julie:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
12-02-2010, 07:17 PM
If I were you I would have just went on the trip with myself :)
Forget about him. I can't believe how selfish some people can be. I don't understand why people cannot just say NO and that they don't want to go instead of leading people on.
I think I know a few of these type of people. It's awful.

Well, going myself was kind of out of the question.. Here is why:

1) I had no car and no means of getting around... Sure, I could have rented a car but I didn't budget for that...

2) I no longer hold a Disney annual pass... I let it expire... I could not justify spending 400 - 500 dollars on the pass when I'm trying to curb the money I spend on non-necessities..

3) My friend's wife works for Disney... She has passes she is allowed to use for family and friends... She was giving us the tickets for the trip... He had the tickets... There was no way for me to get them...

4) Without having access to the parks, my days would have been long, boring, and I'd be dying to leave and get back home...

After shelling out over 8K for school (thankfully I did so well my company reimbursed me the tuition money), I couldn't budget in a short period of time the money I would have needed for tickets, a car, and other spending money...

DizneyFreak2002
12-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't it have been much easier just to say "I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to go" at whatever point in the process he figured that piece out which was clearly long before you were set to depart?! So sorry to hear about your misadventure!

I do not know how far in advance he figured that out... Up to the last day he was even telling his own friends in Orlando he was coming down...

I gave him every opportunity to back out... I asked him I don't know how many times if he wanted to cancel... I received the same answer over and over.. No, I'm going...

DizneyFreak2002
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM
That is just plain 'ole AWFUL.

How can someone just do that??? With no regard to a person's feelings or how their actions are going to cause havoc on another person. To lie so outrageously is seriously scary. Be Thankful that you got out when you did.

Really sorry your trip didn't pan out. That does stink!!

Julie:mickey:

it stinks... It really does... I do believe things happen for a reason, just trying to figure out the reason for this...

oh, and to further make matters worse, I forgot to mention.. A friend of mine was willing to drive out to Kissimmee, an hour drive from where she lives, to pick us up from the train station... She was off the Sunday we were arriving... However, she was taking Monday off to come to Universal with us... She had to fight to get that day off from work... Her boss gave her a hard time about it, for 2 weeks... She finally relented and gave my friend off... But the torture my friend endured just to get that day off was horrible..