PDA

View Full Version : Resort tour...need help!

mom2mickeyfan
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
We are leaving for DW on Saturday and plan to attend MVMCP on Sunday evening. We will only be attend the party on that day so I have decided we would check out some of the resort's Christmas decorations until the time we can enter MK.

So, for all of you that have visited many times at Christmas, which resorts would you suggest? We are not staying on-site but will be up and out pretty early. We would also want to be at a resort to grab a quick and great lunch that doesn't need ADRs and would want to be at MK by 4 or 4:30. I'll also mention that we aren't the types to linger long when check out things like this. :laughing:

Thanks for the help!! I am so excited for my first Christmas trip!! :woohoo: I've got alot to squeeze into 2 days!!

Melanie
12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I just did a mini tour the other day of the monorail resorts. First stop, Poly then Grand Floridian and then the Contemporary. A must is the GF with the lifesize gingerbread house and beautiful lobby tree. Their decorations really are GRAND. ;) This took us 1.5 hours tops.

The other resorts not to miss are Wilderness Lodge (cozy) and the Beach Club gingerbread carousel. :tree:

mudpuppysmom
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
A few year back DS and I were on our own and I decided to do the Christmas tour a little bit each day.....but if you want to spend half a day doing this (plus stopping for lunch) here are what I thought were the must see's....and my son was 5 (almost 6) at the time:

On the monorail loop -- GF for SURE!! The tree is grand and the gingerbread house is awesome to see!! We spent about 30-40 minutes here total time (off monorail, walking around inside and back onto monorail). The Poly we breezed thru -- not much to see here I thought, but they do have a nice little place for lunch (Capt. Cooks QS if that is what you are looking for -- or Kona for lunch would be nice too). The Contemp was disappointing to me -- they had a tree up, but nothing much to see there either, but we did walk around since we had never visited there before.

We had a car, so the WL we drove to one night -- this was a VERY cozy place to visit!! They have a large tree, a fire going and the night we were there they had some school kids having an instrumental/choral concert, so we were entertained while we sat in the lobby and took it all in (for about 30 mintues). It was chilly outside but nice to step inside get warmed up and relax a bit. This was another resort we had never visited before either and we enjoyed our time there.

On another night we visited the AKL -- their tree is very large also, but we were here all o about 10 minutes -- this IS a place we have stayed before so we didn't "need" to check much out -- although DS did want to go out and use NVG's to see if he could spot any animals, so we did......for about another 5 minutes.

One afternoon we needed a break while in Epcot and we happened to be in Canada and I thought we'd check out the Y&BC.....so we walked over to both of them. The YC was eyh, ok.....yes they have a display, (a train exhibit if memory serves me right) but nothing spectacular. We also walked over to the BW and saw their display....again, eyh, they had something, but nothing really a 5/6 yr old was interested in. We finished up at BC and this IS something you should see!! A carousel made out of chocolate!! They also have hidden mickeys all over the carousel (and other small pieces around the carousel) -- this was something that DS could not walk away from! We were there for oh......about an hour! He totally loved this dieplay the best -- hands down!

Along the way at all of these resorts DS did pin trade and he had a lot of fun with the CM's talking with them and finding out where they were from, why they worked at Disney and telling them where he was from and how it got to take off school!

It was a good tour of the resorts and what they had to offer at Christmas time. Every family is different though, so what we liked yours may not and things we thought were "eyh" yours may really enjoy! In the end -- You're going to Disney at Christmas time!!! It's going to be an AWESOME TRIP!!

faline
12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
If you only have time to visit a few, I'd go with the monorail resorts and add in Wilderness Lodge. There are several good options for dining - Kona Cafe at the Poly; Grand Floridian Cafe at the Grand Floridian; or Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge.

Melanie
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
The Contemp was disappointing to me -- they had a tree up, but nothing much to see there either, but we did walk around since we had never visited there before.

Just to add here that the Contemporary now has a large gingerbread tree that's very pretty up against the Mary Blair mural.

The YC was eyh, ok.....yes they have a display, (a train exhibit if memory serves me right) but nothing spectacular.

I love the YC lobby tree. Nothing very tall, but the nautical decorations in blues and burgandy's is very classy. And yes, there is a Dept. 56 Village display here.

Melanie
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
If anyone is interested, here is a pic (http://yfrog.com/2qh0s0j) of the gingerbread tree at the Contemporary from our Twitter feed.

I didn't want to post it here and spoil it if someone doesn't want to see it beforehand.

Mousemates
12-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Not to be missed:

Grand Floridian

Wilderness Lodge

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Worth a Visit :

YC

CR (mainly because visiting is so easy if you are going to the GF)

Poly - (the lobby layout of the Polly just isn't as conducive to giving you a big wow effect in terms of Christmas decorations).

mom2mickeyfan
12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I think we are going to check out...

Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club and if there is time Animal Kingdom Lodge

My mom that is going with us LOVES chocolate so it seems like Beach Club is a must do for us. While we are at the Grand Floridian maybe we can take the monorail over to MK and get our party tickets. Or should I go ahead and buy them online now??

MyDisneyworld
12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with the others that the Grand Floridian is not to be missed. All the resorts have Christmas stuff up but the Grand Floridian goes over the top and does a great job with the house, tree and live music. Enjoy.....