PDA

View Full Version : First Timers Trip to WDW-12 & Conclusion

lynnek
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
We decided to go about the afternoon the same way we did this park before—DH takes the older two to Everest, while I see if Triceratops Spin needs to be ridden—over and over. I stopped for fast passes for Dinosaur first though. The park was a bit more busy than on the EMH morning which is where it came back to haunt me. We had to get off after each ride. Walk all the way around, wait for it to go once and then get back on. I know—soooo hard. Problem was, DD2 hadn’t experienced the dinosaurs that way. After lots of explaining after each ride and riding three times, I had had enough. I bribed her with water and a pb&j sandwich to sit in the stroller while I went into a store looking for a triceratops for her. Nothing. Not a t-shirt, plush. There was a beanie baby—not going there. Came out of the store and ran into the others. Yeah!!! DH could go on Triceratops Spin for awhile. He did while we went to Dinosaur. That ride is scary!!!! For some reason, you really do convince yourself it could be real and I guess things with sharp teeth advancing at me unexpectedly scare me! Picture—eyes closed, screaming!! DS was amused! After Dinosaur, DH and DD2 were in the line to go one more time on Triceratops, so I found a bench. In the shade!! DS and DD2 wanted to try Primeval Whirl again—it took them forever to come out of there, again! I should have just had them stay put for a minute, we would have been able to get to Nemo. Oh well! While waiting, DD2 took the opportunity to fall asleep in her stroller. We parked her and DH at stroller parking and went to see tough to be a bug again. I liked it better this time since I wasn’t worried about DD2. After this, we darted out of the park as the parade was coming around. That was something I had wanted to see too, but that area of the parade route was pretty packed. DD1 and DS were hoping to hit the pool before dinner, so back to the resort.
After resort time, we went to the boardwalk for our dinner reservations at Flying Fish. We had another fantastic server! I like their menu, all very fresh food. We tried four different apps, four different entrees and four different desserts. The salad—considered an app with fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes was amazing, as was the calamari. The clam app and the cheese plate were good, just not as good. I had a miss with the scallops. The flavors in the risotto didn’t work well—possibly weren’t given a chance to blend together while cooking—this they change every season to accommodate fresh ingredients. It had sounded good, but I think after having scallops at Sanaa, they would have had to be just as good or better to impress… The kids each had a different fish dish—really fantastic. DH had the steak…thinking it’s not a place I would go to order that, but it was excellent. All desserts were good, mine was overly sweet though. Apple tart with a caramel sauce—I know just rereading that, of course it would be sweet. The chocolate sampler DD1 ordered was the best. Her favorite on it was the chocolate crème brulee. DS had a Napoleon dessert that he really liked. He was worried when reading the menu because it did mention chocolate. Our server (who was from Hershey, PA) was amused when he asked to keep the chocolate away from the plate (it wasn’t a problem because it was served with the chocolate as a smear on the plate)—right next to him is DD1 asking for as much chocolate as she could get! It was such a great evening, we decided to head back to Epcot! Future World is open until 9!!! When planning, I didn’t know that!!!!
I wanted to purchase some Christmas ornaments and I had seen that store, on the way to the Canada Pavilion, right at the end of the bridge—all holiday. The kids were determined to get their Dad on Mission Space. I found some ornaments—would have bought a ton more if I wasn’t worried about packing the next day!! I really like this four pack though—a glass shaped ornament depicting each park—and it was packed in plastic that could withstand being crammed “under the seat in front of you” the next day!
They were taking a bit of time on this ride, so DD2 and I wandered into the store at the end of the ride. What a cool area! There is an interactive area right beyond the store as well. Found another favorite purchase in this store—an alien hat!! I know, a bit much with these aliens, but this is sooo cute!!! Think of the entire head of one of those three-eyed aliens, plush, perched on top of a 2.5 yr olds head—it is awesome. I think it was $20. The whole trip, I was looking for ears or something for DD2. Even thought one of those mini sombreros. She wasn’t interested. She spotted that alien thing and it was Please, Please, Please Have it!!!
DH came out of Mission Space looking green! Should have gone on the more mild one. Probably didn’t help they had just had dinner. We had hoped to get on a boat towards the Boardwalk before Illuminations started because of DD1. She seemed to be O.K. with the noise, as long as we didn’t stop. DH went ahead with her a bit so DD1 and DS could watch. Again, what a beautiful show!!! We headed back to our resort and crashed! Packing and leaving in the morning!
All my worries about weight—had each suitcase over 40 and under 50—perfect!! We had an uneventful trip home—just a note to fellow travelers with little ones—if your little one is not in the stroller at the gate area, and you keep loading it with more stuff, you will have your hands full, unloading all that stuff and getting your little one down to the plane. Please unload it all before you head down to the plane, it isn’t a shopping cart and fellow passengers with little ones want to get those kids strapped in as soon as possible, not wait for you! Also, have your argument about where to sit, who should sit next to who etc before you board, not standing in the aisle keeping everyone else from boarding!! You are giving little ones a bad reputation!
Final Observations—I don’t know how many times while there I thanked my lucky stars I found Intercot. Many different opinions on things, but was able to determine what was good for us. I posted my pre-trip report with enough time to take in comments you all made to it and that helped!! Trying not to do everything was good. Being a first timer—we were tempted!! It was nice to come back from a vacation like that and still be relaxed and happy! The day after we got back, my son stated he missed WDW. I asked what he missed most—his answer—the dining plan. It worked really well for us upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. It was awesome letting the kids try anything they wanted. There are a bunch of restaurants we will definitely return to—Sanaa and Narcoossee’s being tops on our list. I’m not sure about LeCellier since it is going to a 2 credit—I think we will try Yatchsman Steakhouse—I do like the feel of that resort. I think we will try Bistro de Paris instead of Chefs de France next time. For us, using the plan for 2 credit dinners, starting each day with a breakfast like Boma or Olivia’s and then being open in the middle of the day will work best. We haven’t been able to go on vacation in quite awhile—I own my own business and getting away for vacation, not tying it into travel for work, has been impossible. Yes, we’ve taken little trips here and there, but I like this vacation thing!! We are planning to return next year, same time. On this next trip, I will use Magical Journeys—I really was a bit nervous about all of the planning and really not knowing what I was doing. Shopping—grab it when you see it. Each store has different merchandise which makes it fun! I wish I had gotten the Mr. Potato Head parts the first day at Downtown Disney! She will be getting the Hot Potato that is Mr. Potato Head for Christmas though! We really didn’t get a lot of time in Epcot—future world part or Hollywood Studios. Something to make sure to do next time!! Also, really like all the hidden gems—Pirates and Pals cruise, Spa Day, Kids Nite Out—there is so much available! Thanks everyone for your help and input!!

Tiggerlovr9000
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Loved reading your trip report.. Merry Christmas!!!

faline
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
What a wonderful first trip you had! Sounds like there will be other trips in your future!

Disney4us2
11-30-2010, 12:46 AM
What an awsome first trip. I loved reading your reports. Look forward to next years.:mickey:

RedSoxFan
11-30-2010, 07:39 AM
I really enjoyed reading all your trip reports. Sounds like you a great time!!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Glad it was a good trip for first timers

wildernesslady
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reports. It seems like you had the perfect first trip. Be careful, it is addicting.

2MuchWDFun
11-30-2010, 04:57 PM
What a great trip---thank you for sharing your family's experience. Love the part about going on Triceratop's Spin over and over. So glad you will be going back next year to experience even more Disney magic.

pdrlkr
12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
12-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the reports, I enjoyed reading them.

Suz36
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I've really enjoyed reading your reports. If I didn't know, I would never have guessed you were first-timers. You really did a wonderful job planning a magical vacation for your family. Have fun reliving your memories, and enjoy planning trip #2!! (I usually start the day after we get home! :blush: )

KylesMom
12-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree - I've thought to myself on more than one occasion that you sure don't seem like Disney Rookies! Well, except for your DH and being directionally challenged in the parks. :D

Yes, we’ve taken little trips here and there, but I like this vacation thing!! Ha, we were the same way until we discovered Disney! :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to write up your observations and memories - they were very enjoyable to read! :mickey: Hoping you get back for that second trip before too long!