PDA

View Full Version : Our First Holiday Trip Part One

Stu29573
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Trip report 11-17

This is a report of the WDW trip my wife and I took from November 17th through the 24th. I’m sure I will miss tons of stuff, but I’ll try to hit the high spots! We rolled out of bed very very early on the 17th. My stepdad was picking us up at 4:15 a.m. so we needed to be ready to roll when he got there.

We got to DFW airport with no trouble and went through security without a hitch. There is always something a bit surreal about being in an airport that early. Heck, there’s something surreal about being up at all that early! Our non-stop flight had been changed to a one-stop flight by Airtran a few weeks before. Therefore we would be stopping over in Atlanta. The flight was very smooth both to Atlanta and then to Orlando.

We went straight to the DME service desk like seasoned pro’s (which I guess we kind of are) and waited about 30 minutes for the bus to Port Orleans Riverside. The video screens sprung to life and we knew we were really there! The bus driver tried to point out a couple of gators, but we didn’t see anything.

We got to the resort and went to the online check in counter. This was the first indication that something was amiss. It took them forever to find our information and when they did we found that although we had repeatedly requested the mansions, we were as far away from them as you could get. If they had said that they were just full and that room was all they had, we would have been disappointed, but placated. However, they said that they had plenty of rooms and they simply couldn’t see any requests because they had just switch their reservation computers to a new program and had lost all of that information. Therefore they just put people in room at random. They said that we should go to the parks and have fun and that they would have it worked out when we got back.

We went to the Magic Kingdom first. I must say that this was my first time to be at Disney during the holiday and I was impressed! The decorations were perfect, and as soon as we walked out onto Main Street there was the Main Street Philharmonic doing Christmas tunes and cutting up with the crowd. It really felt magical! Speaking of crowds, there really weren’t any to speak of. We walked on everything with no more than a five minute wait. Very magical indeed!

We ate at Tony’s at 6:00 p.m. and it was really good. We sat at the back next to the window that features Lady and Tramp. When we went to pay, indication number two that something was amiss occurred. Our dining plan wasn’t working. Apparently the same computer glitch that knocked out our room requests also knocked out our dining plan. I paid out of pocket.

We then caught the Main Street Electrical Parade right in front or Tony’s. It was wonderful and I video taped the whole thing. After that, we strolled down Main Street and watched Wishes from the hub. Absolutely wonderful! We then went back to the resort.

When we got to the resort, we found that the room switch hadn’t happened. They said that we should stay in our assigned room and that we would get a call during the night telling us what our new room would be. They also said that I should keep my dining receipts and that they would reimburse me for the meals. We agreed to this, got our carry on luggage from the luggage room and went to bed. Overall it was wonderful, but with some significant worries that were not really resolved hanging over our heads…

Stay tuned for day two!

Joannelet
11-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Geez.....that is awful about your room/ressies and the dining plan!!! That is a lot to go awry in the first few minutes of your arrival.
I hope it all turns around for you guys!
At least you had a great time at the park that day!

faline
11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Those computer upgrades really are creating lots of havoc! Glad you're enjoying the holiday atmosphere!

ibrowse17
11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
We love Disney at Christmas!! Hope the rest of your trips goes better:thumbsup:

Suz36
11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Any day that involves Wishes is a great day in my book, even with the reservation glitches. Even though it sounds like Disney was doing their best to make up for the problems, it can still cause concern that you just don't want on vacation! In fact, it's got me nervous about our Jan. trip - I'll have to make sure to double check everything before we go! Glad you're enjoying the Christmas decorations - they're beautiful, aren't they? I wish I could hire some Disney cast members to decorate my house!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh my, that would be upsetting to me...

IloveJack
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Ouch, rough start. Heading over to part 2 to see if it's resolved...

KylesMom
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
While I think everyone expected a few glitches with the new system coming on line, I don't think they expected the total havoc it wrought for guests visiting during your timeframe. I too would have been concerned about how they were going to sort everything out the next day! :(

On a brighter note, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the holiday decorations, your dinner at Tony's was good & you were able to view both MSEP and Wishes. I hope that things were sorted out & your first Holiday trip was magical! :mickey:

pdrlkr
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

RedSoxFan
12-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Not a good way to start the vacation with the glitches --- especially having to pay out of pocket for dinner!!