PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Free Dining or Room Only Discount

Dream'nDisney
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I posted this on the Accommodations Section, but maybe it should be here instead.

I recently booked the MYW Free Dining package for our upcoming trip the end of May / beginning of June. I've never booked a package before because we have always found good room only discounts - 40% off, etc. Since there aren't any room only discounts out yet for that time, I went ahead and booked the free dining package. My teenage DD and I are light eaters, and we usually share our dinner. Do you think this package will benefit us more than if room only discounts come out? By the way, we are staying at the Yacht Club.
I broke it down and listed the room at full price, subtracted out the MYW ticket cost and what we normally spend on food without tip. Then in another column, I listed the total "MYW free dining" package, subtracted out the MYW ticket cost and what we normally pay for food without tip, and the remaining balance is what the hotel would cost. It ended up being almost equivalent to 40% off a standard room, and we have an upgraded garden view room booked with the package. If I did my math right, I think we are actually going to come out ahead of the "room only" deal, and that is IF they come out with 40% off of room only for the general public. Right now, it appears to be only 35% off. Am I correct? Here's the scenerio I came up with:
Room Only Discount:
2655 standard room rate - 6 nights
- 929 35% off
1726 what room would cost *
+ 960 food
+1040 base MYW tickets - 5 days

MYW + Free Dining Package:
3758 total package w/ upgrade to garden view
-1040 base MYW tickets - 5 days
- 960 food - based on what we normally spend - but will get so much more food
1758 - what room would cost with upgrade*

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

DisneyBunch5
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
If I was comparing the costs, I would subtract the actual costs of the 2011 dining plan when determining the upgrade costs.

For adults, the dining plan is $45.99 per day (regular season) / $47.99 per day (peak season). Peak season = 2/17/11 thru 2/26/11, 3/11/11 thru 4/30/11, 6/03/11 thru 8/13/11 and12/23/11 thru 12/31/11.

For 2 adults, the value of the "free dining" for 6 nights would be $551.88. For 3, it would be $827.82.

Dream'nDisney
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I should have figured that into the equation. If that is the case, then for the four of us, we are saving $1,103.76 (4 adults w/ DDP), which is more than the 35% off the room rate ($929.00). Therefore, we will be not only saving $174.76, but we will also be getting more food. Thank you!

KylesMom
12-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, I would ask how much you plan to spend on tips at TS meals which are not included in the plan, as well as how many desserts and snacks you plan on enjoying each day. As mentioned in your post,
My teenage DD and I are light eaters, and we usually share our dinner. The "Free" dining plan may be entirely too much food for two of you if you're light eaters (although the quantity may be good for the other two guests), and you'll be given a dessert for each meal at CS & TS plus your daily snack allotment. You may want to evaluate how much of an advantage the dining plan is versus the reduced room rate if you aren't big eaters . . . once you add in the tip at each TS meal, you may find that you're spending more than the room discount on food you won't eat. I can honestly say that we spend as little as $11.22 each meal for tips @ TS meals (Sci-Fi Lunch/burgers, 1 appy to split & a few beverages) -or up to $31.61 (LeCellier Dinner - steaks w/appys, xtra sides & cocktails) and that's with three of us consisting of two adults & a 12-year old. We usually skip desserts after the meal, so the tip estimate may be low. Just a thought . . .

Dream'nDisney
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Depending on what is offered as a dessert at a particular TS restaurant, we will probably try to get a dessert to go and eat it as a bedtime snack.

I thought about the amount of tip that would be increased due to the increase of food. I guess at this point, since there are no discounts past April, we are okay with getting some sort of discount - the free dining plan. If a 40% discount comes out, I do think we will possibly change it over. If we miss out on it though, at least we got the free dining.

faline
12-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Depending on what is offered as a dessert at a particular TS restaurant, we will probably try to get a dessert to go and eat it as a bedtime snack.

When we've been on the dining plane, we've often taken our desserts "to go". Typically, it becomes our breakfast for the morning. Hint - be sure to stop by the quick service spot at your home resort and pick up some plastic utensils and napkins so you have the supplied needed in order to actually eat your dessert!

WDWCrazyKaren
12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
For two people, I know we would save a bit more if we took the room discount over the free dining, but we really like having all of the food included and only brining tip money for our meals. There was plenty of food for two adults, and often we would share CS meals and just buy an extra drink. We are good tippers, so the TS meal tip money was allotted in advance.

We like the convenience and ease of the dining plans. Makes our trips just a little less hectic.

Dream'nDisney
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
...and often we would share CS meals and just buy an extra drink

That is an AWESOME idea! My daughter and I could share a CS lunch a few times, which would enable us to all have a CS breakfast on another morning! Now, as far as that goes, I assume we could share a TS meal (perhaps for a fee??). Am I correct?

magicofdisney
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
...and often we would share CS meals and just buy an extra drink

That is an AWESOME idea! My daughter and I could share a CS lunch a few times, which would enable us to all have a CS breakfast on another morning! Now, as far as that goes, I assume we could share a TS meal (perhaps for a fee??). Am I correct?
You can share a TS meal as long as it's not a buffet style meal.

Dream'nDisney
12-02-2010, 05:46 PM
That is great. This free dining plan is now really starting to make more sense for our family. For the two of us who eat like birds (and luckily have the same taste in food), we will be able to share some of our meals, and in turn get more meals. :mickey: