PDA

View Full Version : Insulin and TSA screening

Disney4us2
11-25-2010, 11:26 AM
We leave for WDW in 5 days...:mickey: Does the xray screening effect the insulin? Is it ok going in the xray machine, or should I have it visually inspected? The two insulins (lantus and novalog) I have are both in pen form.

Thanks.

Mufasa
11-25-2010, 01:16 PM
From a TSA memo in 2006:

Under normal conditions, insulin can safely pass through X-ray machines at airport terminals. If the insulin remains in the path of the X-ray longer than normal, or if it is repeatedly exposed to X-rays, be careful. This can affect the stability of your insulin. If you have concerns about X-rays, you can request hand-inspection.

Also, insulin never should be placed in checked baggage. Passenger baggage stored in cargo holds is subject to powerful X-rays. It also could be affected by severe changes in pressure and temperature. Inspect your insulin before injecting each dose. If you notice anything unusual about the appearance of your insulin or you notice that your insulin needs are changing, call your doctor.

Pharmaceutical companies like Novo Nordisk have done a number of studies on x-ray exposure to insulin and the concern is that with repeated or prolonged exposure to X-rays, there is a possibility that the insulin could be denatured from repeated exposure to X-rays and lose effectiveness.

For most occasional travelers, it shouldn't be an issue, but if for example you were working somewhere and had to pass through x-ray screening every day then in those circumstances it would probably be a good idea to opt for hand-inspection.

I just put my insulin pens/supplies in a separate clear ziploc bag and hand them over for inspection. I also usually also put in a prescription label for my novolog and levemir along with the ziploc bag that identifies it as insulin (since I use penfill cartridges). Also a blood glucose meter and test strips should not be affected by x-rays*

* However if you wear a continuous glucose monitor or insulin pump, these should not be passed through an x-ray machine, but you should not have to remove it to pass through a metal detector but you can expect to be subjected to a pat-down. If there are any questions or objections from the TSA screener, ask for a supervisor.

sassafras
11-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I take my Lantus and Humalog in a separate plastic bag, along with the prescription labels, and tell the TSA agent at the start of the conveyer that I have insulin and needles. I also have a letter from my physician stating that I am diabetic and it has to stay with me. Never have really had any problem, other than one time at MCO the TSA agent made a big deal out of inspecting the small blue ice block I had with it. Since then, I haven't worried about packing it on ice to travel with it.

thumperbug
11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
I never have a problem with any of my diabetic supplies. I wear an insulin pump and use various pens for back up in case of pump malfunction. Since the pens are good for 30 days after first use I generally take 2 of each with me and put it in my very large clear bag of medical supplies. All I do when i am going through security is let them know that there is a bin full of medical stuff. I do keep everything labeled with prescription labels and I have a Dr letter as well. Once or twice I did bring a small cooler with ice packs made from water frozen in small zip locks and again, as long as I mentioned it to security, had no problem. The only times I did have problems were on flights coming home where I put some of my pump supplies in my checked luggage and the TSA opened and inspected my luggage. You should not have any problems. Enjoy the trip!

Disney4us2
11-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone,

This helps to put me more at ease. I have 2 Frio insulin coolers, hopefully those won't be an issue with TSA. I will have it all set out for TSA and tell them ahead of time.