PDA

View Full Version : KC Girls - Day 1

Granny Jill A
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Tuesday, November 16

Cast of Characters:
Jill - age 63
Jen - (my daughter) age 41

We arrived late in the afternoon, checked in at the Contemporary, then went straight to Tea at the Grand Floridian Hotel. Wow! Who knew tea and little sandwiches could fill you up. Jen ordered a glass of port and had me taste it. I’m not a red wine drinker, but this stuff was GREAT. Wish I could remember the brand. The servers were in a real chatty mood, so we had a great time talking to them. Turns out Jen wasn’t charged for the port, and when she asked about it, the server just smiled and winked.

Walked around the GF shops, checked out the Gingerbread House (mmmmm), and then walked the path to the Polynesian where we checked out their shops.

The evening wrapped up when we took the monorail back to the Contemporary so we could prepare for our day in Magic Kingdom.

I was really wowed by the size of our room at the Contemporary. It was HUGE! We were on the 9th floor, right over Chef Mickeys. Our room faced Magic Kingdom and there was a balcony with two chairs and a small table. The other plus was two extremely comfortable queen beds. I wish I could have taken one home with me. The rooms had been refurbished and the new color scheme of browns and grays was very nice. The bathroom had two sinks and a separate water closet. Those were the pluses.

The minuses were small but significant.

When we sat on the balcony, the railing interfered with our view. We had to stand up or slump to see the Magic Kingdom.

The bathroom sinks were right out of Architectural Digest, but there was no place to put anything. A shelf below the sinks was the only storage space for toiletries, but it was narrow and almost at floor level.

The towel rack was located near the door and it was several drippy steps across the floor from the tub. There were no hooks to hang towels or robes on, and there was no clothesline to allow things to drip dry.

The desk in the room had a full-size office chair that took up a lot of floor space right in front of the storage drawers. I ended up leaving my clothes in the suitcase because I didn't want to wrestle with the chair everytime I needed something from the drawers.

The fold-out daybed was a handful to wrestle into position. Someone with more upper-body strength would be necessary to get it set up.

Our room location was right over Chef Mickey's - and yes, you could hear them through the door. It was especially raucous around 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. - peak meal times.

Overall, I loved my Deluxe experience, but probably wouldn't choose the Contemporary again.

Next Day: Magic Kingdom

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice start, thanks for the report

faline
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice start!

Thanks for the details on the room! It's always helpful to have such information!

RedSoxFan
11-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Good start to your vacation.:mickey:

pdrlkr
11-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
12-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Jill, I'm happy to hear how smoothly your first day went - including the tea. I've only heard good things about this event, and I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

Yes, I remember being staggered about the size of the CR rooms. Unfortunately, I've heard the bath setup simply isn't realistic with the sinks since the remodel. So you heard the Chef Mickey "Celebrate" song a few times during your stay, huh?! While I love the song while we're twirling our napkins, I can't say that I'd want to hear that when I first woke up.

Overall, a great day. Looking forward to reading more! :mickey:

vizsla
12-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Enjoyed reading your report, sounds like a nice start to your vacation, especially the Tea with your daughter.

Suz36
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the details about the room. I'm off to read about your first park day!

BigThunderFan
12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I noticed you are from KC and you liked the port wine at the Grand Floridian. You really should try Pirtle's Port. They are a winery out of Weston, MO. It is the best port I have ever had. Guaranteed to satisfy!