PDA

View Full Version : American Pickers

Scar
11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I've never seen this show before but my Brother and his family are big fans. Yesterday I was in Gettysburg with my Brother and he sees their van and pulls over and we talked to the stars of the show. The taller guy (Mike I think) was really nice and talked to us (well really my Brother) for a while.

When I shook Mike's hand I said "I have no idea who you are but apparently you're someone famous"... probably the wrong thing to say.

Ian
11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Totally cool! I love that show ... watch it all the time. The two guys seem really down to Earth and personable, so I'm not surprised you said they chatted you up for awhile.

Very good show, by the way. Lots of fun.

alphamommy
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
We watch it when we see that it's on. I love seeing what they find, what they pay for it, and what the things are actually worth.

laprana
11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Very cool, indeed! I love that show...it's always interesting to see what they find, what they have to climb through to get it, and how they haggle for it!

DizneyRox
11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Excellent show.. One of my favorites...

Mogie
11-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah that show and Pawn Stars are really addictive shows. Just cant wait to see the junk people show up with and how much its worth.

BellesRose
11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I rarely see it but it's such a good show!

jennbunn
11-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Love that show :)

Ian
01-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah that show and Pawn Stars are really addictive shows. Just cant wait to see the junk people show up with and how much its worth.I've just recently discovered Pawn Stars after a couple family members were touting how great it was and I have to admit, I'm hooked! I love the show and the cast is awesome ... how can you not love Chumley? ;)

I'm kinda glad I've discovered these new shows like Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars ... I hate almost all network T.V. thes days and some of the cable shows I've been watching like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are getting a bit stale. I like the fresh blood!

NotaGeek
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I've just recently discovered Pawn Stars after a couple family members were touting how great it was and I have to admit, I'm hooked! I love the show and the cast is awesome ... how can you not love Chumley? ;)

I'm kinda glad I've discovered these new shows like Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars ... I hate almost all network T.V. thes days and some of the cable shows I've been watching like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are getting a bit stale. I like the fresh blood!
Funny because I just got addicted to Storage Wars! I agree mythbusters and dirty jobs have lost some luster -- I can't figure out what it is but the shows just aren't as good as they used to be.

Ian
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Funny because I just got addicted to Storage Wars! I agree mythbusters and dirty jobs have lost some luster -- I can't figure out what it is but the shows just aren't as good as they used to be.Yeah Storage Wars is really cool. It's like adding a "Mortal Combat" aspect to Pawn Stars or Pickers!

I think the issue with Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs both is that they've just sort of run their course. A lot of the Mythbusters episodes feel kind of recycled now and Dirty Jobs ... I mean, I love Mike Rowe but how many times can you watch a guy play with cow poo and still laugh about it?

MNNHFLTX
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm a fan of American Pickers too! In fact, I wish had their job!

Melanie
01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
American Pickers is a great show! I don't watch it religiously or DVR it, but do stop and watch when I come across it, as I do with Pawn Stars.

Ian
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm a fan of American Pickers too! In fact, I wish had their job!I've been thinking that, too, Beth ... but you know what I wondered? I wonder if the recent popularity of these kinds of shows will ultimately hurt their business?

First off, they're pretty blatant about how much they make off of their pieces. I would think people would start to push a bit harder for them to pay a little more ... if you know they're going to double their money most times, it wouldn't shock me for people to start wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

I also wonder about whether or not they're going to accidentally create more competition for themselves. I'd bet a lot of folks (especially in this economy) might try and get in on the act and that could lead to some less educated folks paying more than they should for things, driving up prices, and making the entire business harder to profit from.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, I don't know, but it seems like a bit of a risk to me.

Melanie
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I've been thinking that, too, Beth ... but you know what I wondered? I wonder if the recent popularity of these kinds of shows will ultimately hurt their business?

To be completely frank though, I doubt some of the folks they pick from even have cable. :blush:

Ian
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
To be completely frank though, I doubt some of the folks they pick from even have cable. :blush:Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

You know that never occurred to me, but it's actually a very valid point. You're probably right!

MNNHFLTX
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I think you might be right, Ian. I actually used to do a lot of garage sale, estate sale and thrift shop picking years ago, related to antique and vintage children's books, and could really fetch a nice profit on ebay. But that became harder and harder to do as people became more tech-savvy. It may well be that American Pickers will eventually become obselete as people get wise to their schtick.

Altair
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I wonder who's smarter, the one's without cable or the one's paying for hundreds of channels with nothing worth watching on them.:confused:

Melanie
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
It may well be that American Pickers will eventually become obselete as people get wise to their schtick.

For this same reason, I can't believe something like Undercover Boss continued past a few episodes. Hello????

BellesRose
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
The only people I've ever seen on AP were older men. They seem to be eager to get rid of some of their items. Also, they usually understand what pickers are, and some have even lowered their asking price when the pickers tell them what they can make off of it. They usually say that they understand that the pickers can only buy stuff for half of what it's worth. Honestly, it would be quite hard for them to sell THAT much stuff anywhere else. They would need semi-trucks just to haul it all away and then try to find someone to buy it.

Ian
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
btw there's another show on Discovery (I think) called Auction Kings that's sort of in the same ballpark as these other shows. It's not quite as engaging, but still pretty cool.

caryrae
01-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Every time we watch it I think how fun it looks to do for a living, traveling all over the country and meeting some interesting people. I would have no idea what's worth money and what's junk.