PDA

View Full Version : Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales

Melanie
11-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales

'Tangled' will be the last such movie it makes for the foreseeable future. The studio is aiming for wider appeal.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Claudia Eller, Los Angeles Times
November 21, 2010

Once upon a time, there was a studio in Burbank that spun classic fairy tales into silver-screen gold.

But now the curtain is falling on "princess movies," which have been a part of Disney Animation's heritage since the 1937 debut of its first feature film, "Snow White." The studio's Wednesday release of "Tangled," a contemporary retelling of the Rapunzel story, will be the last fairy tale produced by Disney's animation group for the foreseeable future.

"Films and genres do run a course," said Pixar Animation Studios chief Ed Catmull, who along with director John Lasseter oversees Disney Animation. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it … but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up." Indeed, Catmull and Lasseter killed two other fairy tale movies that had been in development, "The Snow Queen" and "Jack and the Beanstalk."

To appreciate what a sea change this is for the company, consider that a fairy tale castle is a landmark at Disney theme parks around the world and is embedded in the Walt Disney Pictures logo. Fairy tale characters from Disney's movies populate the parks, drive sales of merchandise and serve as the inspiration for Broadway musicals.

Alas, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Jasmine and the other Disney royals were all born in the 20th century. Now, different kinds of Disney characters are elbowing their way into the megaplexes and toy aisles, including Pixar's "Toy Story" buddies Buzz Lightyear and Woody, Capt. Jack Sparrow from "Pirates of the Caribbean" and a platoon of superheroes from the recent acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.

Over the decades, Disney has benefited from the ticket sales and licensing revenue generated by such princess-driven properties as "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin." The studio's most recent offering, however, was a clear disappointment. Although critically acclaimed, last year's "The Princess and the Frog" was the most poorly performing of Disney's recent fairy tales.

In the age of mega-franchises when movies need to appeal to a broad audience to justify a sizable investment, Disney discovered too late that "Princess and the Frog" appealed to too narrow an audience: little girls. This prompted the studio to change the name of its Rapunzel movie to the gender-neutral "Tangled" and shift the lens of its marketing to the film's swashbuckling male costar, Flynn Rider.

Disney hopes "Tangled" will draw boys, teenagers and adults to the theater, succeeding where its frog-prince saga failed. But it's taking no such chances in the future. Its current animation roster includes "Winnie the Pooh," a return to the Hundred Acre Wood, and "Reboot Ralph" — itself a restart of an older project titled "Joe Jump" — about an outdated video game character who's been left behind by the march of technology.

Catmull said he and Lasseter have been encouraging filmmakers to break with safe and predictable formulas and push creative boundaries.

"If you say to somebody, 'You should be doing fairy tales,' it's like saying, 'Don't be risky,'" Catmull said. "We're saying, 'Tell us what's driving you.'"

So why has the clock struck midnight for Disney's fairy tales?

Among girls, princesses and the romanticized ideal they represent — revolving around finding the man of your dreams — have a limited shelf life. With the advent of "tween" TV, the tiara-wearing ideal of femininity has been supplanted by new adolescent role models such as the Disney Channel's Selena Gomez and Nickelodeon's Miranda Cosgrove.

"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," said Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University and an expert in the role of media in children's lives. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."

MGA Entertainment, the maker of Bratz dolls, knocked the toy industry's blond bombshell off her stilettos by recognizing how little girls' interests have morphed.

"You've got to go with the times," MGA Chief Executive Isaac Larian said. "You can't keep selling what the mothers and the fathers played with before. You've got to see life through their lens."

Other filmmakers have been grappling with this evolving sensibility.

Bonnie Arnold, an animation veteran who most recently produced DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon," said animated films must vie in the cineplex with effects-laden action films that a generation ago might have been considered more mature fare.

"You see elementary school kids standing in line to see 'Iron Man' or 'Transformers,' " Arnold said. "To be honest, that's who we're all competing with on some level."

In an effort to give the Rapunzel story a more contemporary feel, Catmull and Lasseter pushed the reset button in 2008 and brought in a new directing duo who had both worked on Disney's animated movie "Bolt." The Rapunzel film underwent a "total restart," Catmull said: All the prior work was scrapped and the movie was reconceived as a musical with five songs by Disney's veteran, multiple-Oscar-winning composer Alan Menken.

The only surviving elements, Catmull said, were "the hair, the tower and Rapunzel."

Directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard blended the hallmarks of the classic Disney tale — including sweeping musical numbers and a happily-ever-after ending — with fast-paced action and witty banter associated with more modern animated films.

"If we were told we would one day grow up and direct the 50th animated feature from Disney, it would blow our minds. It's such a great honor," Greno said. "At the same time, it comes with some challenges.... We love classic Disney, but we wanted to invent fresh, new and exciting ideas."

For example, instead of the requisite prince, the directors designed the romantic male lead as a wise-cracking thief who mixes it up with bandits and beer-swilling thugs. The villain, Mother Gothel, isn't the enchantress of the Grimm tale. She's an incarnation of "Mommie Dearest."

In one of the film's musical numbers, "Mother Knows Best," Mother Gothel tells Rapunzel she's "getting kind of chubby" — a line lifted directly from a real-life mother-daughter exchange recounted during a story brainstorming session.

Disney instructed Menken to depart from the heavy Broadway musical-type scoring he made famous in "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast." So the composer borrowed from leaner singer-songwriters of the late 1960s, including Joni Mitchell.

"It's more like handmade music rather than too over-produced," Howard said. "You'll hear a lot of guitar music, especially when Rapunzel is singing.... That was a nice way to break away from what [Menken] had done."

Catmull acknowledges that Disney has a lot riding on the success of "Tangled." The film faces several challenges, not the least of which is that it opens five days after what is expected to be the biggest family event movie of the season, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1." The stakes are particularly high for "Tangled," which by some estimates cost more than $260 million to produce, including six years of development costs.

"On an emotional and morale level," Catmull said. "We really want this to do well and really want the public to like it."

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

TheRustyScupper
11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
{Up On Soapbox & Flame Proof Suit On}
1) If you can't make millions and millions, no movie.
2) So much about tradition and more modest profits.
3) I am sorry, but to heck with you, Catmull !!!
{Down From Soapbox, Flame Proof Suit Still On}

vilewmn
11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I post very infrequently, but just have to say: Rustyscupper, you have a way of getting to the heart, or lack there of, of the matter. More and more of the Disney tradition is being eaten away. If it doesn't meet marketing standards, the story doesn't get told. Sad.

Tekneek
11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Hmmm. I have little desire to debate this, but I am definitely on the disappointed side and concur with the views already expressed.

Disney is continuing to make it easier for me to not think about them. I should be glad, since it will save me money. So, thank you Disney for helping me save some extra money (that I would've sent your way)!

BrerGnat
11-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Honestly...maybe this is a good decision. The "fairy tale" market is already over saturated. These stories just don't carry the same impact as they used to. Perhaps after a break, it will again become something people are interested in.

I think Disney has done an excellent job in retelling fairy tales up to this point (with the exception of a couple "flop" movies...). More and more, I enjoy the unique stories created by, for example, Pixar.

The classic Disney fairy tales have stood the test of time. They will continue to endure. No harm done, as far as I'm concerned.

cetacean01
11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
just because those traditions are the reason you fell in love with Disney does not mean those traditions are timeless........The classics WILL endure.....but ladies and gentlemen it is time to recognize that we are in a new era....If Walt were alive, he would be evolving his vision as well....he was, after all, a businessman.

Now........fire away!!

BellesRose
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," said Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University and an expert in the role of media in children's lives. "They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."
I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

The second part just scares me to death. If they are going to start making stuff that is "hot" for 5-6 year olds, my children will not ever know Disney (Or current Disney, anyways...they'll be raised on "old-fashioned" Disney.)

Melanie
11-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Now I'm seeing reports that this story is being refuted.

I LoveJack
11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I understand that the name of the game is to make a profit, but I still love fairy tales and I am 40 something. And being of mother of 2 girls, I don't want them to be "hot" before the reach the appropriate age. They both love the princesses and fairies and all the magic that the fairytales bring. Surely there could be a compromise between the 2 worlds.

Aurora
11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Here's what Walt Disney Animation Studios posted on Facebook today:

A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull

DizneyRox
11-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Why For do they need to develop more stories when they can just release a Diamond/Titanium/Gold Pressed Latinum Edition and reap the profits without the development costs.

The problem with Disney movies lately has been story, and unless they can come up with a good story, it doesn't matter what the theme is, it's going to flop. 2D, 3D or whatever, that doesn't matter. You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig...

Brer Robert
11-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Personally, if Disney were to ever quit with fairy tales, I think it'd be smart for them to come up with more original stories, like they did with "Lilo & Stitch", or at least turn to more novel-like books for ideas.

Ian
11-22-2010, 12:13 AM
This story stinks on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

So I won't.

NotaGeek
11-22-2010, 02:37 AM
From Disney's Facebook Page:

A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull

DizneyRox
11-22-2010, 06:51 AM
I really don't see the blog post as a denial. They mention Tangled which is too late to cancel. There is no mention as to what these other projects are, fairy tale or otherwise.

Wordsmithing to me...

magicofdisney
11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
First, I don't think the Princess Frog movie flopped because it was aimed primarily at girls.

Second, my girls are 10 and they're still not allowed to have Bratz dolls.

Third, you absolutely can sell what the mothers and fathers enjoy. Because my MIL was a pack-rat, my husband has classic toys from his youth that our kids still enjoy today. Is it too far fetched to think kids will enjoy movies their parents enjoy? I'm sick of what I'm seeing in society where kids and their parents interact on different levels. For example, I often see statements from parents saying their kids would never "friend" them on FB. What kind of relationship are they developing with their children in which that would be an issue? Strong family units share values and interests. It's sad to me that Disney thinks it's market should be sexualized tweens.

AgentP
11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses...They're interested in being hot, in being cool.

Kindergarten teacher and mother of a four year old daughter here. This statement is absolutely wrong. 5 and 6 year olds are absolutely interested in being princesses. They also play house, pretend they are puppy dogs and hide stuffed animals in their backpacks. The world may have changed, but for the most part kids are still kids as long as we allow them to be. It worries me that Disney execs don't realize this. Maybe they should visit a classroom.

Tinkerfreak
11-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I had 20 teenage girls at my house this weekend for a sweet 16 party for my DD. We have a wide variety of movies and you know what they wanted to watch?

Mulan
Cinderella
Beauty and the Beast

and they did watch a horror film.

My daughter wore her princess crown all night and they had a blast. They are your average normal teenagers.

Tekneek
11-22-2010, 10:28 AM
This is another moment where we see that Disney execs, even Lasseter himself, are not as in touch with their demographic as we would hope to believe. The FB post looks like damage control when the backlash was worse than they ever imagined it would be.

JPL
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Funny how they retracted the statement and twisted around the wording in the retraction. Does Disney actually think it's fans are that stupid?

Bellerella
11-29-2010, 10:33 PM
I just read an article in our local newspaper, and I am very upset. It states that Disney has announced that Tangled will be their last fairytale; that they do not foresee any coming for a while. Isn't fairytales what Disney is about? They also talked about making movies for a gender-neutral audience, because Princesses appeal only to girls. But doesn't Cars mostly appeal to boys? Disney is about making dreams come true, for all kids of all ages. Speaking for myself when I was a child, I had no interest in watching 'boy movies'. There had to be a princess or female character involved. They are shoving girls aside by trying to make all of the movies neutral.This has made me very disappointed. Has anyone else read about this?

WDWfanatic742
11-30-2010, 12:29 AM
As far as I know, the article was started by the LA Times and has already been confirmed by Disney that it is not true. From Disney's Official Facebook page and also from the same person (Ed Catmull) quoted in the original article:

DizneyRox
11-30-2010, 07:08 AM
That statement is damage control. There is no detail or mention of any fairy tales after Tangled. I'm SURE there are other projects happening, but they don't say they are fairytales...

Dznygrl79
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I like both kinds of movies but I am at a loss what other fairy tales have they not done? Is there one that you would like to see or that you feel has been ignored? In my opinion the best movies they have done recently have been the Pixar style non fairy tale themes like TS3 and my fav Nemo.

PopPhan
11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I like both kinds of movies but I am at a loss what other fairy tales have they not done? Is there one that you would like to see or that you feel has been ignored? In my opinion the best movies they have done recently have been the Pixar style non fairy tale themes like TS3 and my fav Nemo.

There are numerous fairy tales not yet 'attacked' by Disney in a movie format - Rumplestiltzkin, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.

Also, once the fairy tales have been thoroughly vetted, they could go on to Aesop's Fables, different mythologies (Hercules was one, to start,) and the like.

big blue and hairy
11-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Well....after Tangled had a first week that far surpassed everyone's expectations, including Disney's, that may change...

:sulley:

tazlikesrobots
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome to gorilla marketing! This may be a publicity stunt to get more people to see Tangled!

I really do not foresee Disney running away from fairy tales anytime soon, considering the movie Tangled was originally called Rapunzel Unbraided. Disney changed the name to appeal to a broader audience. Given the box office numbers from the weekend, they just might have hit on a magic formula to make fairy tales appeal to a broad audience.

For that matter some of Disney's fairy tales are not so obvious. Movies like Lady and the Tramp, and to a certain extent Wall-E fit the fairy tale mold.

GothMickey
11-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Well....after Tangled had a first week that far surpassed everyone's expectations, including Disney's, that may change...

:sulley:

Welcome to gorilla marketing! This may be a publicity stunt to get more people to see Tangled!

I really do not foresee Disney running away from fairy tales anytime soon, considering the movie Tangled was originally called Rapunzel Unbraided. Disney changed the name to appeal to a broader audience. Given the box office numbers from the weekend, they just might have hit on a magic formula to make fairy tales appeal to a broad audience.

For that matter some of Disney's fairy tales are not so obvious. Movies like Lady and the Tramp, and to a certain extent Wall-E fit the fairy tale mold.

I think I am going to disagree here. I think Tangled having some success in Week 1, and for sure going to see a nice drop off in Week 2, will only confirm Disney's move away from fairy tale/princess-centric movies. Tangled was marketed as a movie for BOYS and GIRLS. Princess movies are geared for girls. Disney will not look at the mild success and say "Hey, boys love fairy tales." Nope. They will look at it and say "See, if we make movies that are not princess-driven, we will get the boys in the audience."

I, for one, want to see Disney move away from fairy tales and do more movies like How to Train Your Dragon. A movie for BOTH boys and girls, adult and child. I'm an adult male and I would never go see any Disney princess movie in the theater.

GothMickey
11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Funny how they retracted the statement and twisted around the wording in the retraction. Does Disney actually think it's fans are that stupid?

Yes. And sadly, may a Disney fan proves Disney right for thinking this way.

Joannelet
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I think when they see what people are saying and thinking about Tangled...they will end up going back to the telling of fairy tales....
Tangled is going to be a classic. It is a great story told very well. After watching it I literally felt like I had just seen The Little Mermaid and immediately wanted to go and see it again. I haven't felt that way about a Princess movie in a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time.
I think they are wrong for stating that 5 and 6 year olds are just into being pretty and cool like the Disney channel even portrays.....but it's that kind of stuff that parents with children those ages are trying to prevent their children from seeing. I know many 5 year olds that are not allowed to watch Hannah Montana or Selena Gomez etc. There is no reason why a 5 year old is watching that. THey are growing up way too fast.....There is no need.
Stick with the wonderful storytelling that Pixar/Disney has been doing.....fairy tales and all!!!

Dznygrl79
11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
There are numerous fairy tales not yet 'attacked' by Disney in a movie format - Rumplestiltzkin, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.

Also, once the fairy tales have been thoroughly vetted, they could go on to Aesop's Fables, different mythologies (Hercules was one, to start,) and the like.

True I guess there is enough to some of them to make a feature length movie.Aesop may be interesting but they are not my cuppa. Hercules was an excellent movie. I would like more original tales.

crltkcagle
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=BellesRose;2120763]I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

I have to agree with you! Plus if the princesses only appeal to girls between ages 0-6 why oh why are they doing a huge fl expansion with nothing but princesses?

RBrooksC
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
You know, to me, if John Lassetter is saying this, there is some validity to it.

It is very hard to do a traditional fairy tale in this day and age. At least, at this point in time. The old style fairy tale involves a "damsel in distress." The "girl empowerment" has taken that aspect away. So, with that gone, how many "spunky teen" movies can you have? One will start to rehash what has come before and the movies will be become shadows of themselves.

Walt always was about going to the next thing. What is the next thing? I would trust John Lassetter with this assessment.

RBrooksC
12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Also something else to consider, Sleeping Beauty was released in 1959. The Little Mermaid was released in 1989. There is a thirty year break between fairy tale movies in the Disney cannon. The company still made animated films but none of them were fairy tales. So, Disney not releasing a fairy tale movie is not unprecedented.

MartyS
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Just ran across this...
Jon Favreau discusses his next project, a movie based on Disney’s ‘Magic Kingdom,’ and explains why he is excited to work on the project and what ideas he has for the story.Disney has several famous historical attractions they knew could make for potential movie franchises due of their brand recognition and familiarity with the general public. They started with a bang and capitalized on the public’s nostalgia in adapting the Pirates of the Caribbean ride into one of the biggest movie franchises in history. Disney is also turning other key attractions into films, hoping to mimic those same results.

Some of these include movies based on the Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room attractions, as well as upcoming remakes of Haunted Mansion and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Favreau has the daunting task of pulling inspiration for Magic Kingdom from all of those attractions and more into a single feature film. He is however, very aware of the fact that Disney’s theme parks conjure pleasant memories for most adults of their childhood and plans on taking that into account when making the movie.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
What?????? Uh, Disney not doing animation and fairy tales? Well, phooey on that!!:(

wire0monkey
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Disney isn't taking a break from animation. They're spreading out, but they're still going to do some princess movies.

In March 2011, Disney is releasing "Mars Needs Moms" based on the story by Berkely Breathed. They're distributors, not creators, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Also in 2011, there will be "Cars 2" and a hand-drawn Winnie the Pooh movie.

In June 2012, they will release "Brave," an animated movie about a Scottish princess who dreams of being an archer. Reese Witherspoon will voice the princess.

Later in 2012, they will release "King of the Elves," also an animated fantasy movie, based on a story by Philip Dick.

They'll also release a full length stop-motion version of "Frakenweenie" developed by Tim Burton for Disney.

Sometime in 2012, there will be "Monsters Inc. 2 movie" from Pixar.

There's a movie based on Maleficant's POV in development for 2013. Burton denies that he is working on it, but the rumor is that he is the writer/director.

IloveDisney71
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Kindergarten teacher and mother of a four year old daughter here. This statement is absolutely wrong. 5 and 6 year olds are absolutely interested in being princesses. They also play house, pretend they are puppy dogs and hide stuffed animals in their backpacks. The world may have changed, but for the most part kids are still kids as long as we allow them to be. It worries me that Disney execs don't realize this. Maybe they should visit a classroom.

I'm also a kindergarten teacher and I totally agree that they are still interested in being princesses. We had a Polar Express pajama dress-up day for Christmas and just how many of my girls were in princess pj's - over 1/2 of them! One of them even wore a crown with hers!!! When they play dress-up they love to put on the princess costumes.
I think there are a great number of parents who want to shelter their children from the "HOT" influences in tv and movies.

Several of my kindergarten boys went to see Tangled and loved it as much as the girls did SO maybe Disney's on the right track with putting more focus on the male in the storyline.

I hate to see Disney do away with fairy tales totally. I think they can rework them like they did with Tangled and be successful.

PrettyMinnie
12-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Honestly...maybe this is a good decision. The "fairy tale" market is already over saturated. These stories just don't carry the same impact as they used to. Perhaps after a break, it will again become something people are interested in.

Agreed, fairy tales just aren't the same as the "classics." :shake:

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-27-2010, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=BellesRose;2120763]I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

I have to agree with you! Plus if the princesses only appeal to girls between ages 0-6 why oh why are they doing a huge fl expansion with nothing but princesses?

Last month we took our daughter to WDW for her 21st birthday. One of the first things she bought was a princess tiara...she wore it most of the weekend.
Love of princesses is a state of mind and certainly doesn't have an age limit.

The same can also be said for shortsighted corporate greed. :(

harlowandthemermaid
12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
This is really depressing to me if it is true. No fairy tales or musicals? I find the whole part of the article about little girls being too old for princesses by age 5 or 6 and wanting something "hot" to be really sad. Just another example of girls growing up too fast. If I have anything to do with it, I know Vivien will still enjoy her disney princesses and not be trying desperately to be a "tween" when she is 5 or 6.

brivers222
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

The second part just scares me to death. If they are going to start making stuff that is "hot" for 5-6 year olds, my children will not ever know Disney (Or current Disney, anyways...they'll be raised on "old-fashioned" Disney.)

I am 33ish and i am still in love with snow white :D

Goofster
01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
My daughter is 7 1/2 and just "kind of" outgrew the princesses this year. She still loves the princess movies (she loved Tangled), but asked to have her Disney princess bedding and room decor changed to pink pottery barn flowers, etc as she was a little embarrassed when her friends would come over to play in her "princess" room. In the end, all that really changed was the removal of some princess artwork on her wall to be replaced by American Girl artwork. She still loves a good princess move though, but she also likes Wizards of Waverly Place and iCarly too.

Goofster
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I think I am going to disagree here. I think Tangled having some success in Week 1, and for sure going to see a nice drop off in Week 2, will only confirm Disney's move away from fairy tale/princess-centric movies. Tangled was marketed as a movie for BOYS and GIRLS. Princess movies are geared for girls. Disney will not look at the mild success and say "Hey, boys love fairy tales." Nope. They will look at it and say "See, if we make movies that are not princess-driven, we will get the boys in the audience."

I, for one, want to see Disney move away from fairy tales and do more movies like How to Train Your Dragon. A movie for BOTH boys and girls, adult and child. I'm an adult male and I would never go see any Disney princess movie in the theater.

It's pushing the $200 million mark in domestic receipts alone...it's doing quite well. I think this formula worked quite well, it was a princess-adventure movie that appealed to both audiences. Something they can easily do with other Fairy Tales if they want to.

CaptSmee
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I just watched "Waking Sleeping Beauty" and am eagerly awaiting the next great run of Disney animated films. It's inevitable.