PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there with white flour and/or yeast allergies?

Dsnygirl
11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
So, I'm just beginning on my journey of figuring this all out, but from what I can tell of my reactions to food, the symptoms I've had (for years, in some cases...) and how I feel after certain foods, I believe I have an allergy to white four, and most likely also to yeast.

I am scheduling an appt with my internist for a physical, but to also address this and have allergy tests run to confirm it. I know not all tests are definitive, but at least it will be a start.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone else out there on these boards has something similar -- how you discovered it, what confirmed it and how you changed your lifestyle to accomodate it.

I've already been avoiding foods with white flour for awhile -- it took me awhile to figure out that the white flour in breads, cakes, doughnuts, etc., was the culprit for how I felt afterwards. And I was confused by the fact that very few of the cereals we eat bothered me -- until I realized that most of them were either whole grain, rice or corn based, no white flour at all. Nothing with whole wheat bothers me at all, thank goodness!!

But now, based on some of the research I've been doing after some disastrous responses to certain things (white wine, for one...) I'm beginning to see a relationship b/w my symptoms and certain foods, and am wondering if there is a yeast component, too. I get the headaches and runny nose, tiredness... but never tied them into a food allergy. (I also get the itchy throat, but just figured that was "bothersome", not a true allergy... :blush:)

So... just looking for feedback from anyone else who's dealing with this... it's always nice to get input & support, and then be able to give it back, as well! :)

Janmac
11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
This isn't quite the same thing but it is similar. My niece, now 30 but about 27 or so at the time, was having several episodes of gastric upsets and sometimes dibilitating pain in her right side. We finally thought of doing a food diary which was basically a chart (I like charts :D ) with wide columns for food descriptions and narrow columns for marking a happy face, or neutral or urpy face. Quick and easy so she could make notes while at work, etc. After only 2 weeks we made some interesting food discoveries - much like your journey with the cereals and the wines. Certain foods were apparently aggravating her gall bladder.

My niece now avoids most foods with preservatives - which hurts as she loves things like slim jims. ( :ack: ) And dairy products. Taken in small quantities she's okay but she loves cheeses, so has to rein herself in. Along the way she also realized she must have an allergy to onions, raw or cooked. And of course she loves onions.

We've been to Disney a couple of times since she's discovered what foods she feels better avoiding. So far she chooses carefully from the regular menu or buffet. She feels self-conscious about asking to speak to a chef for what she feels isn't "that serious".

Since my niece lives with us, I don't cook with onions any more. :( And I watch how often I include dairy foods in the supper choices. We wouldn't have pizza one night, tacos the next and then beef stroganoff.

We've also looked around on the internet at various information sites. One supplement that my niece feels helps her gall bladder alot is vitamin C. Her doctor didn't have alot of options for her, outside of surgery, so he's happy she's been successful so far with diet modification, the vitamin C supplements and other over the counter meds to alleviate moderate symptoms - like Gas X.

Hopefully your doctor can help you or direct you to professionals who can.

Good luck and there is hope! And of course you can still visit WDW! :thumbsup:

Jan

BrerGnat
11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
It doesn't really make sense to be "allergic" to WHITE flour and not wheat in general. Wheat allergies are wheat allergies, and "white flour" is just stripped wheat. If you are having reactions after eating baked goods, you are likely allergic to one of the other ingredients in there (which could be a HUGE list...preservatives, corn, soy, dairy, etc.)

I have a friend whose baby was just diagnosed with a wheat allergy. He has to avoid ALL wheat, because it's all the same.

The best way to figure out what is going on is just to have a comprehensive allergy test done. This can help narrow down potential triggers.

Good luck!

ElenitaB
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I've heard of several people who have consulted with a nutritionist for cases such as yours. They go through elimination "cycles," and then reintroduce foods to monitor the reaction. Of course, an allergist is probably your best place to start.

murphy1
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Blythe, have you been tested for Coeliac Disease? It is a simple blood test they do in dr. office, I just did this b/c I have autoimmune thyroid disease, but am negative for it. You might want ask your dr. about it. It's a gluten allergy. Alot of people have it and don't know they do. Hope you get some relief soon!