PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for gulf trip

Bethis26fan
11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
We are looking at just doing a 1 day on the gulf following or Disney trip. We are going to check out on Friday Dec 2 and go pick oranges and then stay the night some where on the gulf. Do you have any suggest on what would be good?

stephntampa
11-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Clearwater Beach is always a great choice. Look for the Sand Pearl resort, lovely hotel. On Cleareater Beach you can find restaurants that are in walking distance of the hotel, or they have a trolley bus that is reasonable. Look for Frenchy's on the water, close to Sand Pearl. If you wish to travel a little further south, I would recommend St. Pete beach, the Don Cesar is a great hotel (the area of the Don Cesar is known as Pass-A-Grille). Pass-A-Grille is not as "touristy" as Clearwater, it is mostly a residential area, so it definitely is a laid-back area! St. Pete also has a trolley bus, but not really any restaurants in walking distance, except for the hotel itself. Traveling to either of these beaches from the World will take you approximately 1 1/2 hours. To get to Pass-A-Grille it is almost all interstate driving, Clearwater you travel interstate and then through the city of Clearwater, so you contend with the city traffic. This is high season now so expect to pay top $$$. Good luck!!

Bethis26fan
11-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I had started looking at Clearwater after I posted the thread it looks nice. The rates I checked were around a 100 a night. Not that bad when your coming from Disney. :) Thank you for the in put & I'll check the hotel you mentioned as well.

stephntampa
11-21-2010, 07:16 AM
I only mentioned hotels that I have stayed at, but as you have found there are plenty of accomodations. Good luck!

Daisy'sMom
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Drive over to Fort DeSoto in St Pete. It is the best beach on the west coast.:mickey:

murphy1
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I am from St. Pete and LOVE Ft. DeSoto, it is one of the most beloved places for those of us from that area, gorgeous. Check out the Sirata on St. Pete Beach, I stay two or three nights there once or twice a year when I go back home and it is fantastic!
You don't even have to leave the property, they have two/three pools, good restaurants and entertainment, plus there is an iguana rescue and the iguanas sit in this heated little building and are pretty cool to see, my kids love them.

Sportster
02-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Clearwater Beach is beautiful. And they have umbrella's and mini cabana's already set up on the beach, so it's less you have to carry onto the beach. Also, at night, check out Pier 60. It's the main pier in the center of Clearwater Beach. They have street performers, arts and crafts, a Captain Jack look alike and a guy who say's he's an alien (walks around pushing a cart with a voice synthesizer making goofy noises). It's all very fun and very family oriented. I also agree with Fort Desoto on the southern tip of the island. Beautiful place and they have dog friendly beaches.

lettripp
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm partial to Sanibel Island, if you're willing to make the drive. Beautiful beaches and shelling... and some fantastic food choices. I can't wait to go back!

Ramblingman
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
There are so many little towns between Clearwater and St Pete Beach. It's one non-stop ride along the beach but every mile or two you'll see a sign designating Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Redington Beach, Redington Shores, etc.

They all have some great condos for rent. It's hard to mess up, the area is great all along the way. I grew up in that area and have enjoyed it immensely.

Some great deals can be found on Vacation Rentals By Owners and lists hundreds of condos and homes available for rent in any area you choose.

magicalmom
03-19-2011, 10:28 PM
We love Venice - looking for shark teeth, and eating ice cream are family traditions.