PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Wharf -- New "Pleasure Island"

PopPhan
11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Waterfront District ‘Hyperion Wharf’ Among Plans for Downtown Disney

by Thomas Smith | Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Official Disney Parks Blog
November 18th, 2010

New dining, shopping and entertainment experiences are in the works for Downtown Disney and today we’re sharing a first look at what to expect in the future for the 120-acre complex. Look closely and you’ll see that Pleasure Island will evolve into a vibrant waterfront district called “Hyperion Wharf.”

The district will come to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier. By day, stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants will draw you in and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.

Taking its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, the wharf district will also feature a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways. And its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

Along with the new wharf district, other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:

* An extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.
* Enhancements at AMC Theatres that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater; and…
* Numerous new or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes, as well as additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout Downtown Disney.

Construction on the district begins immediately and it’s scheduled to be completed in 2013.

Concept Art Below (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2120062&postcount=4)

Ed
11-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Looks pretty nice to me. :thumbsup:

Downtown Disney is overdue for some sprucing up, especially since the old nightclubs have been sitting empty for quite a while.

disneymom15
11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Looks great.

Figment!
11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Concept Art

Imagineer1981
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I am glad to see that its not just a make over and that they are actually redoing the entire area. Poor PI was stuck between too areas of "family" shopping and dining, and perhaps by this complete removal of it, PI could be reborn in another spot on property?

CAS
11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm glad to see something coming of it, however it doesn't look like something we will be particularly interested in. There are quite of few districts like that around us and we really don't need even more restaurants and shops. Long live PI :number1:

MyDisneyworld
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Looks interesting........

TheRustyScupper
11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Looks interesting........

1) Yes, it does.
2) But, I will still miss
. . . the Comdey Club
. . . The Adventurer's Club
3) I did not really want more shopping and eating.
4) But, such is life.

artyboy
11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
It's in the Sun-Sentinel today with a rendering...not sure how I feel about it.

Figment!
11-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Disney to convert Pleasure Island into wharf-themed district

By Dewayne Bevil and Jason Garcia
Orlando Sentinel November 18, 2010

More than two years after it closed the doors to its Pleasure Island nightclubs, Walt Disney World said Thursday that it will convert the once-thriving nightlife area into a faux wharf with new restaurants and shops.

The revamped district, to be called "Hyperion Wharf," will open in stages through 2013.

As part of the changes, Disney says it will tear down most of the area's former clubs, including Motion, Adventurers Club, BET Soundstage Club and Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club. The moniker "Pleasure Island" will be phased out entirely.

In their place, Disney says it will add new restaurants and shops themed around newly themed seaport setting. The resort didn't provide any details about what kinds of restaurants will be added, but it said the additions will expand overall dining space at Downtown Disney — which, in addition to Pleasure Island, includes the West Side and Marketplace retail areas — by more than 25 percent.

The wharf-themed area will also include a lakeside park and "enhanced" walkways, as well as extensive nighttime lighting.

Elsewhere across the 120-acre Downtown Disney district, Disney said it will expand the Lego Imagination Center and add new digital technology, an upgraded concession stand and a dine-in theater at the AMC movie theater.

Construction work is to begin immediately. Disney said it expects the combined projects to create approximately 1,200 jobs — 600 in construction, 500 in restaurant, retail and entertainment, and 100 vendor- and supplier-jobs.

Disney said the park area will open by next summer. The timetable for the remainder of the "Hyperion Wharf" work will be set once Disney signs contracts with restaurant operators.

BrerGnat
11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Eh...been there done that. We also live in an area where there is an abundance of this type of outdoor entertainment center.

I am happy to see Disney doing something in this area, but how exactly is it different from the current "West Side"? And, how will this theme fit in with the rest of Downtown Disney? As it stands, I think this area is over saturated with dining/shopping options. I mean, it's moving away from even being a DISNEY area altogether, what with all the new dining/shopping being third party merchants.

Carol
11-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Here's the Official Press Release from Disney Media;

Vibrant Waterfront District Among Plans for Downtown Disney
Projects Expected to Create Approximately 1,200 New Jobs in Central Florida

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Nov. 18, 2010) – Work will soon begin on a completely re-imagined Pleasure Island and other one-of-a-kind experiences as Walt Disney World Resort continues to bring new stories to life at Downtown Disney. Combined, the projects are expected to create an estimated 1,200 new jobs over the next three years.

“We have made great progress since first announcing our vision to bring new shopping, dining and entertainment experiences to Downtown Disney, many of which can’t be found anywhere else and have already become guest favorites,” said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. “We look forward to providing even more ways for our guests to enjoy Downtown Disney, while at the same time creating new jobs for Central Floridians.”

A nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier will evolve Pleasure Island into “Hyperion Wharf.” By day, the bustling port district will draw guests in with its stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.

Taking its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, the wharf district also will feature a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways. Its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

“Hyperion Wharf will offer guests of all ages a vibrant atmosphere and new experiences that can be enjoyed by day or by night,” said Bradford. “Whether looking for a great place to dine with the whole family or a place to relax and enjoy live music, Hyperion Wharf will provide the perfect setting for guests to make new memories with us.”

In addition to the new wharf district, numerous other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:

· an extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies;

· enhancements at AMC that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a paradigm-shifting Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater; and

· numerous new or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes, as well as additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout Downtown Disney.

Combined, these projects are expected to create an estimated 600 construction jobs, 500 restaurant, retail and entertainment jobs and support 100 vendor and supplier jobs.

Other recent additions to Downtown Disney include:

· new entertainment, such as the Characters in Flight tethered balloon ride, the ETX theater at AMC and an enhanced outdoor performance area;

· unique shopping experiences like D Street, littlemissmatched, RIDEMAKERZ,
Tren-D and Disney’s Design-a-Tee; and

· immersive dining, like T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure, Paradiso 37 and the recently opened Pollo Campero and Fresh A-Peel, a new quick-service restaurant combining authentic Latin-style chicken and side dishes, as well as fresh, healthy creations such as salads, wraps and gluten-free desserts.

Concept Art (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2120062&postcount=4)

DizneyFreak2002
11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I like it... Looks nice... WIll add life to an otherwise dead area... I see no problem with that...

Ian
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
:sleepin:

Jeany031
11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
very interesting!

Mousemates
11-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Kind of hard for me to get overly enthused about more restaurants and shops...I guess it appeals to some folks, but thats not what draws us to WDW.

disneykid@hrt
11-19-2010, 12:08 AM
They have the opportunity to make it really unique and I hope they do...

disneykid@hrt
11-19-2010, 12:10 AM
And yaay for the new jobs! :mickey:

Joannelet
11-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Well it sounds nice.
I'll go! Yay for the bigger Lego store!!!

DizneyRox
11-19-2010, 07:21 AM
We really used to enjoy hitting the Marketplace (west side has never appealed to us), but now with all the generic merchandise we hardly visit.

For example, in the mid 90's we would stop there the first day to get a Disney fix (we would get just multiday passes and wouldn't want to burn a day at on the the three parks). We would also take a break in the middle of our stay and maybe eat Planet Hollywood, pick up some clothes as we probably didn't pack good enough for the weather and we would compare what was at DTD with what we rmember seeing at the parks. Towards the end of the stay would would go again, and get our last minute shopping done.

Around the turn of the century, we started doing annual passes, so we had no need for the stop in the beginning of the trip. We would still lod up at the end, and about this time was when we were dropping tons of cash on the Disney @ Home store, etc. Still used it for a place to eat in the middle and end of the trip.

Now, the Disney @ Home store is defunct, replaced by a candy shop. There is no diversity of merchandise, so I don't need to stop there to looking for different merchandise, so the middle of the trip visit is gone. THe wad of money we used to blow stays at home as they don't have the merchandise that warrants that spending. We MIGHT hit DTD once per trip. Visits have mostly been extended closer to two weeks since we have the AP, this allows us to spend more time in the parks and less time at DTD filling a ticket void that used to exist.

More stores with the same junk will do nothing to lure me. Food is THE most expensive line item on our trips these days and we're looking to cut that down. DVC allows us to do that by cooking in the room. Will I stop there to check it out? Sure, I might look around, but I don't expect to find anything worth me opening my wallet or spending any more time away from the parks/pool.

Cinderelley
11-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Sounds like the Boardwalk to me. I am sure we'll still walk through to get to Raglan Road but that's about it.

LandFan
11-19-2010, 08:36 AM
More stores with the same junk will do nothing to lure me. Food is THE most expensive line item on our trips these days and we're looking to cut that down. DVC allows us to do that by cooking in the room. Will I stop there to check it out? Sure, I might look around, but I don't expect to find anything worth me opening my wallet or spending any more time away from the parks/pool.

Yep. The new Lego figures are the only thing that had me say - cool!

ILoveLegos
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Cool! A new & bigger Lego Center (with Disney sculptures) where I can journey into my imagination in a grander way is comming! :joy:

Melanie
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Cool! A new & bigger Lego Center (with Disney sculptures) where I can journey into my imagination in a grander way is comming! :joy:

I'm definitely excited about this aspect of the announcement. Should be very cool, and Lego lovers are in heaven much like you are. ;) With this and Legoland coming, I bet you are estatic!

shadowden
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Never been much for DTD myself except to go to the BBB for my DD. Don't think this will bring me down anytime soon, either -- not much for shopping...

MOJoe
11-19-2010, 12:09 PM
"stylish boutiques" ?

"diverse eateries" ?

"electric wonderland" ?

Does Disney actually expect people to come just to eat, shop and see lights? :confused:

Las Vegas is an electric wonderland too, with great boutiques and restaurants,.....................but that's not why people come.

1DisneyNut
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
*yawn*...... More overpriced restaurants with mediocre quality food and more stores with over priced junk you can find in a hundred other stores...just what we were not looking for..... If they want to make a lot of people happy and get us back to DTD, open the Adventurer's Club back up. Dining and shopping just isn't why we go to WDW.

Jeany031
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
awesome!

BeachClubBum
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Disney management listened to the complaints, wishes and desires of thousands of Adventurer's Club devotees and completely ignored them. They broke a lot of hearts and scrapped one of their most unique and memorable attractions.

I for one try to avoid Downtown Disney at all costs now. I don't go on vacation to go shopping and anything they have downtown, you can pretty much find in the parks. As for the mediocre restaurants downtown, I can do without those as well.

Aurora
11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I will save the largest chunk of my opinion for when I see it completed. I had two immediate impressions:

1. It's going to be designed to get more local visitors.

2. I'm interested in the "lights" aspect, since we'll at some point be staying across the pond.

Other than that, I'm hopeful that the ultimate feel is more Marketplace than West Side (which I can't stand and have zero desire to visit again). But I have a feeling it won't be, judging by the inclusion of Pollo Campero billed as an "immersive dining experience." Just who are they trying to fool?

ILoveLegos
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm definitely excited about this aspect of the announcement. Should be very cool, and Lego lovers are in heaven much like you are. ;) With this and Legoland coming, I bet you are estatic!

I am! :cloud9:

BellesRose
11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I think it looks beautiful and I'm so excited for it! For those who say they can get restaurants and shopping at home, do you not have clubs and bars where you live?
I never liked the nightlife at Pleasure Island. It made me uncomfortable and I didn't like riding the bus to the Marketplace because of the people getting off at Pleasure Island (I don't think "those people" are the ones on Intercot at all).
I was the first to complain when they changed "Summer Sands" to "TrenD" but when I finally went there, I was in heaven. I can't wait to go back.
I think anything will be an improvement from what it is right now, and I will save my final judgment until I see it myself.

BrerGnat
11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I think it looks beautiful and I'm so excited for it! For those who say they can get restaurants and shopping at home, do you not have clubs and bars where you live?

Not like they had at PI. I certainly don't have a local place I can go to that is outdoors, where waitresses in "doctor" outfits walk around with syringes full of Jell-o Shots. That was, to put it bluntly...awesome!

And, no, I am not one of "those" people. I am a responsible mother of two young children. But back in the day, we used to tear it up at PI. ;)

I miss it. I used to love P.I...

CandleontheWater
11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
For those who say they can get restaurants and shopping at home, do you not have clubs and bars where you live?
I never liked the nightlife at Pleasure Island. It made me uncomfortable and I didn't like riding the bus to the Marketplace because of the people getting off at Pleasure Island (I don't think "those people" are the ones on Intercot at all).

I live outside of Washington DC, and yes there are lots of bars and clubs, but they do not even come close to the atmosphere or theming that you could find on PI. There is nothing like the Adventurers Club anywhere on earth, but aside from that, I either couldn't get into my local clubs (because I don't have the right "look") or I wouldn't feel comfortable in them. I loved that the clubs at PI were full of a diverse mix of people, of all different age ranges and from all over the world. I always enjoyed my time at PI, and I never felt out of place or uncomfortable whether I was dancing at 8Trax or laughing at the CW.

sagitarius
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I for one, refuse to indulge in the phony idea of imagineering anymore. I will stay as far away from this mockery as I can until I see the Adventurers Club reopened. I've canceled 2 annual passes and have taken my business up the road since the decision was made to close it. BRING IT BACK and stop exchanging originality for boutiques and restaurants. The moral cost is way too high. Walt is rolling over right now.

:(

Jeany031
11-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I wanted to know what is Fork and Screen? Please tell me!:confused:

BrerGnat
11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I wanted to know what is Fork and Screen? Please tell me!:confused:

It's just a movie theater that has food service while you watch the movie. There are tables or counters, with very dim lighting, and there are waitresses who come take your order, deliver your food, etc. It's similar to a comedy club with dinner service. Obviously, these theaters are not totally darkened. The cost of the movie itself is the same as a regular theater, but the food is what you pay additional for.

Jeany031
11-28-2010, 09:33 AM
It's just a movie theater that has food service while you watch the movie. There are tables or counters, with very dim lighting, and there are waitresses who come take your order, deliver your food, etc. It's similar to a comedy club with dinner service. Obviously, these theaters are not totally darkened. The cost of the movie itself is the same as a regular theater, but the food is what you pay additional for.

oh! Thanks for the info!

GothMickey
11-30-2010, 12:18 PM
I for one, refuse to indulge in the phony idea of imagineering anymore. I will stay as far away from this mockery as I can until I see the Adventurers Club reopened. I've canceled 2 annual passes and have taken my business up the road since the decision was made to close it. BRING IT BACK and stop exchanging originality for boutiques and restaurants. The moral cost is way too high. Walt is rolling over right now.

:(

Serious? Walt is rolling over in his grave? How can he? He is frozen under Cinderella Castle. :D Just had to get that joke in there.

But seriously, you cancelled 2 annual passes cause Disney closed Adventurer's Club? And what moral cost are you talking about?

This new district is going to look great. And by the way, before anyone rushes to judgment, wait until official announcements about what entertainment will actually be coming to Hyperion Wharf before chastizing this as a flop. Disney has only said what the area will look like, not what venues will be taking over. Only one is known, and that hasn't even been officially announced by Disney yet.

Patience people. You may be pleasantly surprised.

AHOTE
12-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Disney management listened to the complaints, wishes and desires of thousands of Adventurer's Club devotees and completely ignored them. They broke a lot of hearts and scrapped one of their most unique and memorable attractions.

If anyone is following the Disney Parks Blog, out of the 334 comments posted 268, slightly over 80% were comments about the loss of and the hope that the Adventurer's Club would be re-opening. (the numbers have since changed as more comments are added) Are they listening? :nope: Don't bet the farm on it! :beat:

DizneyRox
12-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Having never been, I need to ask, was Adventures Club profitable or popular?

One matters, the other doesn't...

Something tells me it wasn't for the important question, and as I said, that's all that matters.

AHOTE
12-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Something tells me it wasn't for the important question, and as I said, that's all that matters.

Let's just say it didn't harvest every last penny per square foot, per hour out of the attending guests as wall street wanted. The Pleasure Island concept was, from the beginning, never intended to be a 18 hour a day attraction. IMO, When companies and corporations start worrying more about what wall street wants than what the customers and employees have come to expect, then the company culture is dead. Once that culture is lost it seldon if ever comes back.

SteveL
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Let's just say it didn't harvest every last penny per square foot, per hour out of the attending guests as wall street wanted

I think that could be an understatement. I noticed quite a few, myself included, hanging around trying to figure out what it was all about without ever dropping a dime.

luvdiznee
12-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Concept looks good. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product. :mickey:

TheVBs
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm excited that they're doing something with this area! It was just depressing, mostly abandoned as it was. At this point any development there will be an improvement. I look forward to checking it out! :mickey:

AmBo
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM

I for one try to avoid Downtown Disney at all costs now. I don't go on vacation to go shopping and anything they have downtown, you can pretty much find in the parks. As for the mediocre restaurants downtown, I can do without those as well.

I'm surprised more people didn't come in here just to tear Disney apart for ignoring this. This was their opportunity to rekindle a loved attraction and they blew it. DtD is dead to us. We take a boat ride there now and turn around and go right back to our resort. Nothing for us mid-20 year olds to do at DtD anymore. :(

AmBo
12-09-2010, 04:27 PM

I wish I knew the economics behind AC, but I was there during an off season about 6 months before it closed and it was packed on a Thursday evening from 8pm through to the final hoopla. It's a memory I'll seriously never forget as me and two others in our party were pulled on stage throughout the night.

KUNGALOOSH! You will be missed AC. :beer:

Jeany031
12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
thanks for the info!

Patricia
01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
it was packed on a Thursday evening from 8pm through to the final hoopla.

KUNGALOOSH! You will be missed AC. :beer:

Thursday nights were traditionally CM night in the club, making it a higher crowd night than most week nights.

Laughin' place
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Congratulations and have fun as a Disney Mom

Granny Jill A
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
We really used to enjoy hitting the Marketplace (west side has never appealed to us), but now with all the generic merchandise we hardly visit.

There is no diversity of merchandise......they don't have the merchandise that warrants that spending. More stores with the same junk will do nothing to lure me.

My feeling exactly. I'm so disappointed with the lack of any kind of variety. There is nothing that says "I'm special because I'm from WDW"....

I collected one-of-a-kind mugs, t-shirts, and keychains. Not any more. It's all so generic that I don't spend the dollars I used to. Too bad.

tad_tad
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
The problem as I see it is that there is nothing to actually DO here. I get bored very quickly with the shopping areas. PI was the one place that I would go back to again and again at night. Now? Probably an earlier bedtime and save some money that I used to happily hand over.

TracyL
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I completely understand and agree with the lament over the loss of the Adventurer's Club. I'm certainly hopeful that Disney management will someday explore something new like it. That said, it's been a lot of years, and it's probably time for us to move on, donchathink?

As for the new concept, I'm optimistic. Like it or not, the reality of DTD is that it's courting a local crowd more so than out-of-towners, and putting in more shopping and dining is likely to work for that. DTD is never going to be the "fifth gate," and that's not why it's there. As a local, I'm excited about having more dining options. I'm "meh" on shopping -- it'll depend on what they actually put in.

I think it's interesting that everyone is so down on DTD in Orlando for being a shopping and restaurant district, when that's exactly what it is, and all it's ever been, at DLR. There's a lot more "generic" shopping and dining in DLR's DTD, and nobody seems to mind that. Or maybe I'm just not on the threads where people gripe about it. :)

As loyal, raving, slightly sick Disney fans, don't we owe it to Disney to let them build it BEFORE we start complaining? :)

Cinderelley
01-31-2011, 06:02 AM
I think it's interesting that everyone is so down on DTD in Orlando for being a shopping and restaurant district, when that's exactly what it is, and all it's ever been, at DLR. There's a lot more "generic" shopping and dining in DLR's DTD, and nobody seems to mind that. Or maybe I'm just not on the threads where people gripe about it. :)

When I go to to Disneyland, I don't even step foot in DTD for this very reason.

antngoof89
01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
I may be alone in this, but I think DTD is actually not bad. I also think this Hyperion Wharf thing will be pretty cool. I enjoy walking around DTD at night, looking at all the lights, checking out the shops, looking at the ESPN Shop, and just relaxing and shopping. I mean, lets admit it, part of the fun of Disney, for most people, is shopping. Lots of us on this board get to go to WDW several times, but to those that only get to go once in their lifetime, a shopping area is kinda important. Having an area to concentrate the majority of your shopping needs gives first time guests the ability to put off shopping until a visit to DTD so they can enjoy the parks a little more without needing to stop in every shop. At least, that's how I see it.

PinKy
02-02-2011, 01:16 AM
The problem as I see it is that there is nothing to actually DO here. I get bored very quickly with the shopping areas. PI was the one place that I would go back to again and again at night. Now? Probably an earlier bedtime and save some money that I used to happily hand over.

I agree!! There's NOT anything to do at DtD anymore.... how SAD. :( Oh well. I'm sure they'll do another overhaul in a handful of years or so. Bummer. It used to be an "adult playground" of sorts....the comedy club, cabaret (Adv. Club), dance clubs etc. No need to go to Dtd just for dining or shopping when you can get great shopping at Epcot! (and save a bus ride!)