PDA

View Full Version : opinions on end of january trip

dyin tago
11-18-2010, 12:52 AM
hi,

dw and I had to cancel our november trip and we are looking at january 31 to february 9th.

we are nervous about the weather at that time but there are great prices with free dining at that time.another big bonus is low airfare also.

has anyone gone at this time and said they would not go then next time due to weather being too cold?

we have gone several times in september and it was great for waterparks and beaches but
way too hot for anything else.

WRWDisney
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
We went at that time about five years ago and loved it! If our kids had not continued to age (ha ha!), we would always go then.

You are going a few days later/longer than we did, so the only thing that might boost the crowds is if you run into Presidents Day weekend (not looking at a calendar as I type this). Go and have a terrific time!

disneymom15
11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
We've gone several times during that time frame. We've had decent weather on all trips, & the crowd levels are low. It's a great time to go.

faline
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
As noted, crowd levels are generally low. Weather can be an issue as it can get really cold during this time of year. It can also be very pleasant. So...be prepared for all extremes.

rubato
11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Love, love, love going in January. The weather is usually good, crowds are low, park hours are short, but you can get more done. The only negative is refurbs, but I am happy to not get to ride everything if it means I have short lines. This is our last year though because my son will be starting middle school next year, and I can't take him out anymore.

dyin tago
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
we checked for refurbs and other than star tours we don`t see any major attractions being closed.

I suppose cold is relative as it is -10 to -30 fahrenheit or colder in january so even the
60`s would likely feel balmy for us!:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
We've done that time of the year many times. It's a great time to enjoy low crowds. The weather can be unpredictable, but I would say that on all our trips except one, we had at least a day or two warm enough to spend by (and in) the resort pool. We've also had days where you might need to add to your Disney mitten and hat collection!! But overall, we think it is definitely a great time to visit. Have fun!

Gator
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I've done that exact time frame before: Jan31-Feb 7. The weather was PERFECT. 70 degrees and the only rain came at night. I was there this year the last week of Jan and it was warm nearly every day, and it rained at night again. We're going to be there Jan 28-Feb 5 this time, so we're hoping for the same great weather. Send me a PM for any questions for that time of year - I feel like I'm becoming a pro.

dyin tago
11-18-2010, 07:08 PM
thanks for the info and reassurance gator!

will take you up on that if we have any questions!:mickey:

dyin tago
11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
well,although we have always gone in september and the heat and and humidity is murder we may just wait till next september and roast again!:fan:

dw and I love side trips to the great beaches,waterparks and wet rides and may have to miss all that if we go in february.

we don`t mind the rain and thunderstorms in september either so that is a plus.

only thing is the long wait is going to be horrible!:mickey:

MinnieMommie
11-20-2010, 06:16 AM
I suppose cold is relative as it is -10 to -30 fahrenheit or colder in january so even the
60`s would likely feel balmy for us!:mickey:

LOL! Yes cold is relative. I have visited frequently during January and early February. I'm from CT and remember one trip being in line with people from Wisconsin and we joked about the 60 degree weather at Disney being much warmer than what it was when we both left our home towns.

January can be cold (was there last year during the record cold). We were there for a long stretch and it was cold every day...even iced, but it is not typical for it to be this cold for that long a stretch. Generally, if there is a cool stretch there are a few days when it warms up. January 2010 was really atypical.

The pools are heated, the sun is usually out and the crowds are low. I actually think the end of January and beginning of February are great times to visit. :mickey:

dyin tago
11-20-2010, 06:25 PM
you make a good point minniemommie,

we average around -20 to -30 fahrenheit in january and february so even 60`s which hopefully would be worst case scenario
would likely feel pretty warm.

as long as we can do splash mountain and have a few afternoons relaxing in the parks in the sunshine without jackets we would be very happy.

if crowds are really that low also that would be a huge plus also!:mickey:

BrerGnat
11-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Just be prepared for COLD weather. One year we were there around the end of Jan, and it was SO COLD, we had to buy heavy sweatshirts and gloves. We almost bought scarves. One day, during Epcot evening EMH, the temp was down to 39 degrees around midnight!!!

It was very difficult to find appropriate warm weather gear in our sizes too, so I had to settle on an XL when I normally wear M!

Lesson: bring warm clothing! The only thing worse than being hot at WDW is being freezing.

lindique
11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, it might be cold. I've been there twice now when there were hard freezes at night. However, the days are still very pleasant. You just have to be prepared with winter coats for some of the nights, because the temperature usually drops about 20 degrees when the sun sets. Even if it's 70 during the day, 50 degrees at night without the sun feels pretty cold.

Dakota Rose
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Being from ND, dyin tago, I had to smile at your post about the cold of January in Canada and the cold of January in Florida.

My thought is: if it's in the 50s, that's 70 degrees warmer than home! LOL!

I'm just hoping that the parks are as quiet as they were when I went in February many, many moons ago.