PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to wear in December

TikiGoddess
11-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi all,

I'll be in WDW for Dec 2-5 this year (yay!). Almost every trip I have taken has been in the summer.... This is easy weather to dress for -- summer dresses, tank tops, sandals, etc.

But now I'm venturing down to FL for my first December trip... and I have no idea what to pack. AND I am flying Delta, so I really want to keep my packing light and only take my carryon suitcase, to avoid paying for checked luggage.

So here's what I'm planning. I want to be prepared for every temp (and I tend to be cold even when it's warm, so keep that in mind)...

Planning on cool mornings/evenings and warmer days:

1. One warm winter jacket (will wear to the airport, of course)
2. Hat, scarf, mittens
3. LL Bean fleece
4. Jeans (3 pr)
5. Shorts (2 pr)
6. T shirts
7. A few long sleeve tshirts to layer under short sleeves if necessary
8. Comfy shoes and one pr sandals

Does that look good for a 4 day trip? I am thinking I need to dress in layers because I will most likely be in the parks from morning until night -- no midday breaks to change.

Kathy

tinksmom02
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I think your list looks good...but I'm in the same predicament. We usually travel in September and are going Dec 1-8 (maybe we'll run into you!), and i really have no clue what we should bring. I'm going to save your post so I can refer to it as I pack for our trip LOL

ibrowse17
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
On one Dec trip we wore shorts, and on another we wore sweaters and jeans. Be ready for either, and have a great trip:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Kathy,

Keep a check on my forecast thread in this forum, which is just now getting to the first of December. Right now it looks like the first week of December is going to be a little chilly in WDW (highs around 60 lows around 40), but that's too far out for any certainty. If you're wanting to pack light, wait until middle to end of next week and I should have a decent handle on temps for your vacation. You're quite right that with all airlines charge for bags right now you really can't afford to pack for everything, so I'll try to give you the best idea possible as to what to expect.

TikiGoddess
11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Chris. I did check your weather thread and will continue to do so! I'm just getting ansty to start packing -- or at least have an idea of what I'm wearing. It's possible that some shopping might be in order... so I'm trying to figure out what I need to look good and stay warm (or cool) at the same time. :)

Kathy

faline
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
We've visited in December a number of times. Our last December trip was in 2009. For most of the trip, we were comfortable in jeans, long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts. On the night, we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party, we were in shorts for the duration (It was that warm!)

A few years ago, we went to Mickey's party in the middle of a cold spell. I wore stockings, socks, jeans, a short-sleeve tee, covered by a long sleeve turtleneck, covered by a sweatshirt and a winter jacket and it was still chilly!

There have also been a number of times when I've been able to wear shorts morning through night without an issue - be prepared for all temps. Layers are good!

BugeyedMuggy
11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was 65 during the day & 45 at nite. We are also going that week in Dec. and looking at the weather ahead they say it may be that cool. We wore capri's and long pants. Brought shorts but never put them on. Wore short sleeves and a fleece jacket to take off during the mid afternoon. Hopefully it will get at least 10° warmer.

bostonsam
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I myself am wondering what to bring,hope Florida is warm:cloud9:since it'll be cold where we're traveling from my list is similiar,a lil of this(shorts for daytime)and lil of that(jeans/hoodie(s)for night) anyhow soo just can't wait to go lol ;)

gauvin4
11-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I am keeping a close eye on Strmchsr forecast as well to know what to pack. We will be in WDW 11/30-12/5. I am hoping for 70's, but will be happy as long as it's not raining!! :thumbsup:

Work your magic Strmchsr!!! ;)

Disney4us2
11-16-2010, 11:12 AM
We will be there from Dec 1 to 8. I am bringing long sleeve tops, jackets, gloves, swim suit (it may get warm enough???), short sleeve tops, capris, jeans, 2 pairs of shoes (in case one gets wet), sweaters, and poncho's in case of rain.

Insanity Clause
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
We will be there the 5-12 and I am having problems figuring out what to pack as well. I was thinking of thin long sleeve with a zippers fleece jacket and jeans. I was thinking of leaving the shorts at home because even if it is in the 70's jeans would still be all right. Now if it hits the 80's it might be a different story.

I can't wait till the end of next week when I can get a better idea of what the temps will be.

Erica

buzznwoodysmom
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I didn't read through all the replies so I may be repeating what someone else may have already said. I'd bring a bit of everything. Your list looks like that's what you are planning. We've been in Dec. once, and in late Nov. twice and the weather was pretty much the same all times. We wore coats with hats and gloves some days, went swimming other days, all within the same trip. Dressing in layers is definitely the way to go.

2MuchWDFun
11-16-2010, 05:37 PM
We were there in December last year from the 18th through the 23rd--it was pretty chilly and breezy at night. Ended up buying extra socks and scarves because we didn't think about bringing them--only had a pair of gloves and a scarf that had been left in the car (we drove).
We're from western PA, so we're used to the cold (which was another reason we were unprepared--we thought, "no problem, we can handle a Florida winter), however the Florida cold felt colder then what the thermometer said (40degrees). I think it is because of the humidity--making it a damp cold vs a dry cold that we have in the Northeast. Maybe Chris can verify my hypothesis!

Anyway...I suggest adding a couple of items to your list: a couple of pairs of warm socks (mid-calf). We only brought one pair of warm socks and many low sport socks (cold ankles). I'd also add a sweatshirt or hoodie to your list as well.

Have fun on your vacation! We'll be coming in a couple of weeks after you!! We're flying this year--so we need to pack smart. Luckily we are flying Southwest so we can carry an extra bag.

Strmchsr
11-16-2010, 06:11 PM
however the Florida cold felt colder then what the thermometer said (40degrees). I think it is because of the humidity--making it a damp cold vs a dry cold that we have in the Northeast. Maybe Chris can verify my hypothesis!

You are exactly right! :thumbsup: Just like the humidity makes it feel hotter during during the summer, it can also make the cold feel cooler during the winter.

Gator
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
In December, January, or February, I always where jeans or pants with a t-shirt. I bring along a sweater if it gets extra cold in the evenings. It's usually just a bit too nippy after the sun goes down to where shorts. Stick with that and you'll be fine.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Layers...we've been there when it was warm and when it was very cold...I find jeans and t-shirts work well with a hoodie that you can tie around your waist in case it gets cold

Kaps
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Check the forecast b4 you leave. We just came back and had 60 in the am and late pm but days were around 80. Always wore shorts and had a light jacket for the evening.

Tigger's Mom
11-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Your list seems to be a pretty good mix. We were there in early Dec in 2006 and wore a little bit of everything. My son hit the pool one day, we wore shorts and then needed hats and gloved due to a lot of wind another day. Layers is your best bet. Have a great time!! It looks beautiful for the holidays!