PDA

View Full Version : NFL week 10, the good the bad and the UGLY

gueli
11-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok folks, you know the drill. lets hear it !

The Good : Jets win. tough win, clevland playing good ball. great game to watch. exciting for me, thought it might end up a tie, then next thing you know, santonio holmes wins it.
More good- Buffalo playing tough and gets a win.
Props to the falcons. good win

The Bad: Um the refs (week in & week out). The steelers played horrible. my picks (UGGGHHH - i feel like Lucy just pulled the ball away as i was gonna kick it :D ). The Giants (- uggh Lucy pulled the ball out from them too !). The Vikings.

The Ugly: Our kicker. Had a very bad DAY . the way the defense's of the steelers & ravens looked...I thought they were supposed to be cream of the crop.

Shout out to Pagan: what happened ? Did you break your Chad's.:D I am happy that the dolphins found a way to win, though I do note that you picked against them. Sorry pennington should become a coach. He is done.

What a game. glad we came out on top- though I would still say it was a fun game to watch even if clevland won. It could have gone either way.

Go Jets ! :number1:

JanetMegan
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Good-Falcons win a good game against a tough competitor. Dolphins win with the QB swap.

Now let's get right to ugly-My FF team for one. Farve-very ugly, Randy Moss ugly (he was tired??) Finally since I am in Arizona these last few days-the Cardinals-UGLY-it was like they were not even there...

How about we add a category for just plain weird?-The Cowboys. What a tough and embarrassing loss for the Giants.

Ian
11-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Eagles haven't played yet, but ...

The Good: The Giants lost. I rarely will root for the Cowboys, but this worked best for the Birds so I'm glad it turned out like it did.

The Bad: My fantasy football teams plus the fact that I played against Tom Brady in both my leagues!!! :(

The Ugly: The fact that I traded Tom Brady to the guy that used him to beat me this week. :ill:

Pagan
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
The Good: Solid defensive effort against a good team. A win when we desperately needed one.

The Bad: Henne, Wake, Long all injured. Tyler Thigpen as our starting QB. Stick a fork in us.

The Ugly: The rest of the season, starting Thursday.

Guels, you knew Penny would get hurt. A defensive lineman could break wind next to him and he'd be out 3 games. It was only a matter of time.

And props to your team. You are playing decent, and you have one thing that alot of teams who win it all have going for you....luck. For some ungodly reason, every team that plays you makes at least one boneheaded play that sets you guys up for a win.

Against Denver it was the ridiculous PI penalty on the hail mary. In Detroit it was the ridiculous calls to pass instead of run out the clock. Yesterday it was Hayden's ridiculous INT at his own 3 yard line instead of batting the pass down and forcing you to punt.

When the bounces go your way coupled with parity and the team playing decently, it makes for a good outcome. Good luck!

gueli
11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
The Good: Solid defensive effort against a good team. A win when we desperately needed one.

The Bad: Henne, Wake, Long all injured. Tyler Thigpen as our starting QB. Stick a fork in us.

The Ugly: The rest of the season, starting Thursday.

Guels, you knew Penny would get hurt. A defensive lineman could break wind next to him and he'd be out 3 games. It was only a matter of time.

And props to your team. You are playing decent, and you have one thing that alot of teams who win it all have going for you....luck. For some ungodly reason, every team that plays you makes at least one boneheaded play that sets you guys up for a win.

Against Denver it was the ridiculous PI penalty on the hail mary. In Detroit it was the ridiculous calls to pass instead of run out the clock. Yesterday it was Hayden's ridiculous INT at his own 3 yard line instead of batting the pass down and forcing you to punt.

When the bounces go your way coupled with parity and the team playing decently, it makes for a good outcome. Good luck!

I had said that last week when they announced it. I always liked pennington- but for some reason he breaks (easily).

As far as lucky - yes they are.
And they are good enough to be in the games (usualy by a TD or less). Yes they get lucky, but sometimes they dont- consider that if any of the 3 missed folk FG made it, no OT. But we play with what we have. We are a solid team. If we ever get that game where all 3 parts play well (D , offense & special teams) we can win big games (ie playoff games).
We are in good shape. We have some injuries, but we seem to be able to overcome them.

Appreciate the good luck.

Now as for the fish - I respectfully disagree with you. Depending on how they play the next few weeks, they will show how tough they are. I think the steelers were playing better without BIG Ben. They knew they needed to step up their game. Yesterday they looked pathetic. I think the fish will respond with solid games, as they know they need to step up & make plays.

Oh Curiosity question - what ever became of the channing crowder getting 'spit on' incident ?

Good Luck to you too !
:cheers:

#1donaldfan
11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I have to say to be one of the highest rated defenses in the NFL the Steelers looked a bit off...ok not a bit.....ALL THE WAY OFF !!! Brady just picked them apart....it was sad !!! :sick:

Greenlawler
11-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Okay boys, congrats Pagan,

That was the single biggest bust I have ever witnessed as a Titans fan.

3rd and ten, wildcat formation. The Phins run two off tackles with Brown for 50 yards? GAG GAG GAG GAG. A JV team in Montana knows where the ball is going....but not the Titans.

Where were the real Titans? Oh wait they were there this IS the team that lost to Denver.

It certainly did not help that Collins could not throw a spiral. He was more hurt that Vince. What took Fisher so long to make the change? Trotting Collins out there was the equivalent of "okay we're just going to hand you the ball back in three plays". Why didn't they throw to Moss?

We can't beat a team down to its third qb.....this is no playoff team.

The Good: Moss actually blocked
The Bad: Fisher's decision to keep Collins in the game.
The Ugly: Three possessions that started inside Phins territory in the first half and ZERO points.

Only sweeping the Colts will get us in now, but frankly the Titans don't deserve it. One laid egg...okay. Two and I'm starting to blame the chicken.

JanetMegan
11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Ya know Pagan, I was actually thinking about you yesterday and how happy you would be about the win-I guess it came at a cost huh? I just thought you would be jubilent ;)

Ian
11-16-2010, 07:40 AM
The Good: Everything

The Bad: Nothing

The Ugly: The fact that the Redskins actually gave that bloated, overrated stiff of a quarterback a contract extension. And how does he thank them? In typical McNabb fashion ... :ack::ack::ack::ack::ack:. In arguably the biggest game the Skins have played all season he throws three interceptions and completes a paltry 55% of his passes. Thank GOD he's someone else's problem now!

diz_girl
11-16-2010, 02:11 PM
The Good: Eagles Won. :woohoo: 59 points? Impressive.

The Bad: That I didn't watch this game. Didn't DVR it either. :doh: I just couldn't keep my eyes open. :sleepin: Pregnancy and all. Where, oh where, can I watch a replay of this?

The Ugly: That Eagles fans (myself included) may be starting to get their hopes up again. It makes me nervous.

Scar
11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
The only good I can think of is with The Giants coming off a bad loss, and The Eagles coming off a strong win, the way things have been going in the NFL this year should mean a blowout win for The Giants.

The fact that the Redskins actually gave that bloated, overrated stiff of a quarterback a contract extension. $78M was it? Imagine how much more he could have made if he was in good enough shape to run a 2 minute offense.

Ian
11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
The only good I can think of is with The Giants coming off a bad loss, and The Eagles coming off a strong win, the way things have been going in the NFL this year should mean a blowout win for The Giants.Agreed. Seems like the perfect spot where the Eagles would typically lay a huge egg.

How they play next weekend will tell me a lot about where this team is going. Vick is really, really good and hasn't laid down a stinker yet.

$78M was it? Imagine how much more he could have made if he was in good enough shape to run a 2 minute offense.Well ... reports vary widely as to how much of that cash is guaranteed, though. I've heard as high as $40 million (INSANE!!) and as low as $10 million (peanuts).

Greenlawler
11-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Agreed. Seems like the perfect spot where the Eagles would typically lay a huge egg.

How they play next weekend will tell me a lot about where this team is going. Vick is really, really good and hasn't laid down a stinker yet.

Well ... reports vary widely as to how much of that cash is guaranteed, though. I've heard as high as $40 million (INSANE!!) and as low as $10 million (peanuts).

Seems to me this year is up for grabs. Anyone of the playoff teams could make a run at the Super Bowl. Everytime we think one of the elite teams will grab the brass ring and be that team they lay an egg....Pittsburgh, Giants, Eagles, Baltimore, Indy, Tennessee, The Patriots, Jets, all of them. You know the Chargers may just be the scariest team out there right now. Which means their turn to lay an egg will be soon.

gueli
11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Well ... reports vary widely as to how much of that cash is guaranteed, though. I've heard as high as $40 million (INSANE!!) and as low as $10 million (peanuts).

I just read that there is an escape clause for next year & that the guarenteed money is for INJURY, not being cut for performance...

Ian
11-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Yeah by all accounts the numbers that were first announced for this contract were basically face-saving numbers for McNabb.

Seems like the 'Skins are basically on the hook for him next season for somewhere between $12m and $15m and after that he's probably gone.

princessgirls
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Personally, I think it's been an really exciting season so far....it's going be great football leading into the playoffs. There has been much drama, but I got to feel good about Michael Vick and his return. Here is a guy, who literally threw everything away. I mean everything, his freedom, money, but this is his new chapter to write, and we have seen a better person emerge. He paid for his crime and did his time. I enjoyed seeing him be at his best on Monday night.

For me a lifetime JETS fan...it's been exciting this season. I never expect a whole lot, but this season has well just been Amazing!:cool:

It's coming into Thanksgiving week, and that means LOTS of football people! Enjoy!!!
Julie:mickey:

Scar
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
There has been much drama, but I got to feel good about Michael Vick and his return. Here is a guy, who literally threw everything away. I mean everything, his freedom, money, but this is his new chapter to write, and we have seen a better person emerge. He paid for his crime and did his time.Would you like to make a bet that he never gets in trouble again? I'll even give you odds.

gueli
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Personally, I think it's been an really exciting season so far....it's going be great football leading into the playoffs. ... For me a lifetime JETS fan...it's been exciting this season. I never expect a whole lot, but this season has well just been Amazing!:cool:
It's coming into Thanksgiving week, and that means LOTS of football people! Enjoy!!!

Julie, I hear yah. Its not over yet, but I like the way rex has changed the culture around the jets. It gives us so much hope. Usually we would be waiting for whatever to go bad, and their season to disintigrate before our eyes.
So I wait, to see how we do each week, and I hope- that each game they come out & play hard, tough football (and we walk away with minimal injuries) and more often than not - we have been winning.

Oh one side note- the Jets ran a staggering 79 plays on offense (44 pass, 35 run). I know it was an OT game, but WOW !

Ian
11-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Personally, I think it's been an really exciting season so far....it's going be great football leading into the playoffs.Agreed. I think pretty much anyone would have to agree that this is, by far, the most wide open the NFL has ever been in history. There are literally 20 teams in the league that are all either leading their division or basically one game out the lead.

CRAZINESS!!

There has been much drama, but I got to feel good about Michael Vick and his return. Here is a guy, who literally threw everything away. I mean everything, his freedom, money, but this is his new chapter to write, and we have seen a better person emerge. He paid for his crime and did his time. I enjoyed seeing him be at his best on Monday night.It's sort of funny you say that, because I'm a life long Eagles fans and I'm having a bit of a hard time getting as excited about this team as I should be.

I mean I'm happy they're winning, but I find myself cheering with a lowercase "y" instead of a capital one. :secret:

princessgirls
11-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Agreed. I think pretty much anyone would have to agree that this is, by far, the most wide open the NFL has ever been in history. There are literally 20 teams in the league that are all either leading their division or basically one game out the lead.

CRAZINESS!!

It's sort of funny you say that, because I'm a life long Eagles fans and I'm having a bit of a hard time getting as excited about this team as I should be.

I mean I'm happy they're winning, but I find myself cheering with a lowercase "y" instead of a capital one. :secret:

I always say...Be true to your team! Players come and go (the ugly Favre year with the JETS) but we still route for the team. It's our team!!
Hey, the Eagles were smart to take a chance on Vick, and he has been a model player since they signed him on. The NFL cleared him to play, and that's not on anyone else. The NFL with their Personal misconduct policy...WHY would they have to make such a policy? Vick isn't the only player who has had his share of problems with the law. Granted, his were horrific and inexcusable, one can hope that with the price he paid for it all he has learned from it.
He is getting the job done for the Eagles.

Greenlawler
11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I always say...Be true to your team! Players come and go (the ugly Favre year with the JETS) but we still route for the team. It's our team!!
Hey, the Eagles were smart to take a chance on Vick, and he has been a model player since they signed him on. The NFL cleared him to play, and that's not on anyone else. The NFL with their Personal misconduct policy...WHY would they have to make such a policy? Vick isn't the only player who has had his share of problems with the law. Granted, his were horrific and inexcusable, one can hope that with the price he paid for it all he has learned from it.
He is getting the job done for the Eagles.

Hmmmmm, interesting. I think "be true to your team" should always be trumped by your own values. However sadly it is not.
Of course Micheal Vick does not change the entire face of the Eagles, the guys paid the price over and done.
I do however tend to get annoyed with people who excuse bad behavior because it wears a certain jersey, and lets face it we do this. I admit I was happy when Moss signed with the Titans. I seem to recall being disgusted with his antics in the past. When Pac-Man ran back a kickoff for the Titans I admit I cheered.

I wonder what it would take for me to actually root against my own team? Maybe if we were the Ravens and Bengals who signed every guy with a record out there? I don't know. I just know there is a limit on how much bad behavior I will excuse from my team.

Ian
11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Well honestly, my issues with Vick are as much about all the bad things I said about him when he was with the Falcons as much as they are about his bad behavior.

I tend to agree with the mentality that he did his crime and did his time and, if the market still has a use for him, he's entitled to earn a living.

But I used to rip him when he was with the Falcons for being overrated and I'm not quite ready to jump on his bandwagon yet just based on a few great games.

gueli
11-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Hmmmmm, interesting. I think "be true to your team" should always be trumped by your own values. However sadly it is not...
I do however tend to get annoyed with people who excuse bad behavior because it wears a certain jersey, and lets face it we do this.
I wonder what it would take for me to actually root against my own team? ... I just know there is a limit on how much bad behavior I will excuse from my team.

Your first statement is very true. Football fans, coaches, boosters tend to give a pass for poor behavior. The football comunity as a whole does this...now mind you I am not talking about showboating here...face it, players play to the TV audience...
I am talking about turning a blind eye, or being more forgiving to ones own players who commit crimes.

Case in point Jets reciever braylin edwards DUI charge. I dislike those who drink & drive, far too many innocent people get killed or harmed by drunk drivers, yet here I am rooting for him to have a good game. Now I hope he recieves an appropriate punishment, no more lenient than anyone else's ...but i also hope it happens in the offseason...
If I recall correctly we had quite the discussion on vick when he came back. I believe his crimes were heinous, but I also believed he had the right to return to society and do some good. and he had the right to make some money.
as to what it would take to root against my team - very simple. They would have to move to another city.
other than that I have lived through some hideous coaching, horrible players, guys who commited domestic violence (gasteneau comes to mind, though I did not like him after that), and players/ex players who have done a lot of stupid things (a Drunk broadway joe embarrising himeself on national TV).
but the team marches on. how much respect I have for them, that will vary year to year and decisions that are made (on & off the field) will influence this.

Greenlawler
11-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Your first statement is very true. Football fans, coaches, boosters tend to give a pass for poor behavior. The football comunity as a whole does this...now mind you I am not talking about showboating here...face it, players play to the TV audience...
I am talking about turning a blind eye, or being more forgiving to ones own players who commit crimes.

Case in point Jets reciever braylin edwards DUI charge. I dislike those who drink & drive, far too many innocent people get killed or harmed by drunk drivers, yet here I am rooting for him to have a good game. Now I hope he recieves an appropriate punishment, no more lenient than anyone else's ...but i also hope it happens in the offseason...
If I recall correctly we had quite the discussion on vick when he came back. I believe his crimes were heinous, but I also believed he had the right to return to society and do some good. and he had the right to make some money.
as to what it would take to root against my team - very simple. They would have to move to another city.
other than that I have lived through some hideous coaching, horrible players, guys who commited domestic violence (gasteneau comes to mind, though I did not like him after that), and players/ex players who have done a lot of stupid things (a Drunk broadway joe embarrising himeself on national TV).
but the team marches on. how much respect I have for them, that will vary year to year and decisions that are made (on & off the field) will influence this.

Very good take....I agree, it would probably take the Titans moving. But I think perhaps this has a little (not all) with my location. Might I suggest that this has something to do with your locale? I know several Cowboys fans who dropped the team around here when the bad behavior of those late 90's teams became unforgivable for them. However it was probably easier for them since the team was not local. Just a thought not sure if I even agree with my own suggestion.

Pagan
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
At this point, if Jeffrey Dahmer could score points for the Dolphins I'd take him as our QB. :razz:

Scar
11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
As Jerry Sienfeld once said...

"We root for laundry."