PDA

View Full Version : Lunch with an Imagineer?

wdwnutz
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Has anyone done this? My DD17 is going to major in some type of engineering in college, she would also like to do the College intership program at Disney. She would like to talk to an imagineer to get some info on the type of opportunities Disney has for an Engineer and what it's like to be an imagineer. Do you get enough time with the imagineer to make the $60 lunch worth her while? If not are there some other options for her?

Strmchsr
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
You get 2 - 2 1/2 hours with the imagineer, but 1.) you never know what department that imagineer will be from (they rotate) so it may or may not be relevant to someone majoring in engineering. 2.) While you do get to ask questions, you're sitting at a table with 8-10 other people and they all want to ask questions too so it's not really "quality" time.

IMO, it's a great experience, and we always learn something new. Very enjoyable. However, for your DD, the best thing will be to do the Disney college program, as you mentioned. She'll learn WAY more from that than from the lunch. But if she wants to ask just some basic questions, the lunch would be good for her.

Mufasa
11-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Chris (Strmchsr) makes some excellent points in his post- even as imagineers we're not completely sure of the final schedule until perhaps a few days before a session. Generally they'll ask for people to sign up and will assign someone depending on their availability.

Imagineering encompasses much more than engineering (more than 140 different disciplines from writers to machinists, landscape architects, accountants, filmmakers, artists and many more).

And if you were to ask a panel of imagineers how they got into imagineering, every one would have a different answer.

However, when it comes to the process at Imagineering regardless of your discipline that is something that anyone at WDI can talk about- starting with Blue Sky then going into Design, then Engineering, Production and onto Testing and Closeout and that is where the individual imagineer can add their own experiences into the discussion and where they might fit in the process.

But to be honest with you- in my experience you never know what to expect with these lunch or dinner sessions and only once I think I actually had an engineer attending a session ask me something engineering related. Typically, I get a lot of questions about hidden mickeys. Or why did they ever remove a certain attraction. Or have you guys ever thought about a roller coaster- you know, like from the door scene in Monsters Inc? (If I only had a nickel for every time someone has made that suggestion).

Of course there are lots of things we can't talk about- but wherever possible, I personally like to be able to talk about the process but I let the group drive the discussion on the topics that they're most interested in.

I can't really offer much feedback on the Disney college program. All I can say is that while you're in school any opportunities such as summer internships especially with real, relevant work related towards your major is a bonus in my view. It doesn't have to be with Disney (when you apply for a job with Imagineering, it's not like you're given a test on whether you know happen to know the names of the 7 dwarves or Minnie or Daisy's nieces).

Having an interest in Disney is wonderful, but not a requirement. Being well-rounded in addition to your expertise in your chosen field through any additional skills that are useful as they relate to the art of storytelling that we're engaged in at Imagineering (for example, experience in theater whether it might be as an actor/performer, a musician or perhaps working as part of a stage crew in your local theater production) is immense.

At Imagineering we do have a yearly design competition called ImagiNations which may be of interest while your daughter is in college:

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/imaginations/index.html

I also suggest getting involved with organizations on campus for example SWE (Society of Women Engineers) where there are often opportunities to link and network with alumni that are at Imagineering.

Finally, there are also internship opportunities available with Disney Research which is closely related to Imagineering but represent a network of research labs that collaborate with academic institutions to develop and advance technology for applications throughout Disney groups and beyond.

http://disneyresearch.com

Melanie
11-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Typically, I get a lot of questions about hidden mickeys. Or why did they ever remove a certain attraction. Or have you guys ever thought about a roller coaster- you know, like from the door scene in Monsters Inc? (If I only had a nickel for every time someone has made that suggestion).

Sounds like some of our conversations. :D

Seriously though, thanks so much for the good info. :thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
11-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Great info from the previous posts. We did this lunch 3 weeks ago and had an imagineer that was wonderful. He was very personable and knowledgeable in his area (lighting). We don't regret the lunch at all, but I agree with the posts above that it won't offer your daughter the info she is seeking mainly due to the fact that you don't know who you're going to get. I've seen previous threads posted about this that people were very displeased with their imagineer etc, so I don't know if I would gamble that if you have other avenues available for your daughter.

Mufasa
11-14-2010, 09:26 AM
One other point to make about the engineering disciplines at Disney is that while we often think of the mechanical, civil or electrical engineering design challenges- perhaps one of the most vital to our theme parks and resorts is through industrial/operations engineering.

What is IOE? It could be anything from capacity planning of course with the attractions themselves (queue design and flow optimization through systems like Fastpass and various utilization metrics) and then in areas such as determining the number of registers or seats needed in a quick service restaurant or check in counters at a resort and how all of this affects the overall park dynamics and then crafting the schedules for the operating hours for each park.

IOE is constantly analyzing and managing things like the supply chain/logistics for everything from stocking merchandise around the resort, ensuring there are supplies to restock hotel rooms with clean linens or those mickey bars of soap to figuring out how many guide maps need to be printed and other ways of delivering timely information to our guests. Planning the routes and the number of busses needed to get people around the resort.

The list goes on and on but it's always about making constant improvements for the guest experience.

It really comes down to quality control and maybe one of those areas that really defines the Disney difference that people have come to expect and that might be one of the largest single engineering disciplines within the Disney parks and resorts worldwide.

2MuchWDFun
11-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your insights, Mufasa. It truly is amazing how many people it takes to successfully run the Disney organization. Every "engineering" specialty is important to our overall satisfaction and enjoyment--aka: making the magic!

I'd say to go to lunch with the imagineer...ask lots of questions and enjoy the conversation (and lunch).

wdwnutz
11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information! I can't wait to show my DD all the posts to read. The last two years she has been invited to the local Women's Engineer breakfast through her guidance office, she has also taken two 2 drafting courses and participated in ACE (Architecture, Construction & Engineering). She is in the process of applying to her top choices for college, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she gets her first choice!!!I knew I could find some great information from everyone at Intercot. :fingers:

faline
11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
We did this on our last trip and it was very enjoyable. Our Imagineer was a woman who helps match sponsors with opportunities in Disney. We had a great group and some wonderful discussion - and I don't remember a single question related to finding hidden Mickeys! It's pricey but I'd highly recommend it!

DisneyFr33k
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd say to go to lunch with the imagineer...ask lots of questions and enjoy the conversation (and lunch).

And the lunch at Brown Derby is WONDERFUL! Extremely filling, so if you go there, skip breakfast! The Cobb salad alone is enough to fill me up - it was HUGE!

Captain_Nemo
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
The Cobb Salad is one of my fav dishes in wdw! a must try if you have never experienced it.