PDA

View Full Version : me or rental car?

Nekochan
11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
We'll be staying at the Coronado Springs resort for one week in August. What are your thoughts on Magical express vs. rental car?

PETE FROM NYC
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
In 15 trips, we have never been without a car.
Either a rental the first 13 trips, or our own vehicle the last 2 trips we drove down. I just cannot fathom being anyplace without a car at my disposal so I can do things on my schedule, not somebody elses.

faline
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
We've been to Disney multiple times without a car at our disposal. A few times, we've had a rental. A few times, we've driven and had our own vehicle. While it was convenient to have a vehicle the few times we used it on site, for the most part, we parked the vehicle on Disney property and then used Disney transportation. Most of the times we've had a rental, we've gotten the rental because we had plans outside of Disney such as a split stay between Disney and Universal or the Daytona 500 etc.

If you don't have any specific off-site plans, I'd save the money on the rental and use Magical Express!

disneymom15
11-13-2010, 09:48 AM
We've been to WDW at least 35 times in the last 15 years. I think we may have rented a car twice. For the most part, it sat in the resort parking lot. I would save the money and use Disney transportation.

RedSoxandPatsfan
11-13-2010, 10:03 AM
We prefer to "sit back, relax, and let Disney do the driving.":mickey:

CleveRocks
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
We prefer to "sit back, relax, and let Disney do the driving.":mickey:

Same here!:number1:

wdwfan
11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
We always rent a car! We tried buses twice and didn't like. Have had niece get sick and it was very nice not having to wait for and then get on bus. Plus if the bus is full, then you either stand or have to wait for next one. Like previous post, we like to do things on our schedule. Plus you see things you don't pay attention to when on the bus and if you forget something it's a quick trip to Walmart.

WDWCrazyKaren
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
We've done both and I"m a bit torn on this myself. The last three times, we've not rented a car. We really don't mind the busses, and we do probably spend about $100 or so on taxis during the week, but I think we've decided again on not getting a car this next trip.

The busses are efficient, but not swift. For resort to park-no need for a car. It's the resort hopping that will just bog you down! That's when we do the cabs. For meals not at our resort (or for after Illuminations and Fantasmic!). Just our little treat to ourselves.

And most of the time, we don't have much need to go off-site, so we don't NEED a car.

KylesMom
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I always suggest that this is more a personal choice/preference than anything else. We too have never gone to Disney without a car (rental or our own), as we're constantly hopping from park to park, or resort to resort for ADRs. When our family is ready to jump, we can without waits or delays. We tour in the summertime, and it can get pretty hot waiting around for Disney transportation, especially when everyone is tired & ready to go hit the resort pool.

We have a comfort level with driving around Disney property, where I know that others do not. We find the cost of the rental car is very worth it to us, especially when we don't have to allow an hour to get to our ADRs. This last trip, we put 243 miles on the car, which included airport to resort transportation & return as well as a few trips to the grocery store. :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
I absolutely agree this is a matter of personal preference and how you like to do your vacation. Many folks feel no need to have a car while on vacation. Others prefer the option to have more control of their transportation. We fall into the latter category of wanting our own car. Since theme park parking is free (if we're staying at a Disney resort), that's not an issue. And since we really enjoy eating at many of the resort restaurants more than the parks, it's so much more convenient for us.

But Disney transportation is included with your stay and is a very effective way to get around the World. Good luck with your decision.