PDA

View Full Version : *Jon Favreau All Ears For Disney's 'Magic Kingdom' Feature Film

DizneyRox
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
From the webs:

Jon Favreau All Ears For Disney's 'Magic Kingdom' Feature Film
By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday November 10, 2010 @ 7:28pm EST

EXCLUSIVE: Jon Favreau is in talks to direct Magic Kingdom, the Disney film with the premise that the attractions at the venerable theme park come to life. The studio set the project up nearly two years ago and got a draft by Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore, but a new writer will be set and work on a new draft under Favreau. CAA-repped Favreau will be signing a development deal, because the project will percolate while he works on other big scale studio films. He just completed Cowboys & Aliens, the DreamWorks/Universal co-production that stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. Favreau will finish that film for release on July 29, 2011, and he is expected to re-team with Robert Downey Jr. for a third Iron Man, the franchise which was one of the Marvel films bought out from Paramount to be distributed by Disney. Magic Kingdom is being produced by Strike Entertainment partners Marc Abraham and Eric Newman, and while the studio has previously tapped theme park attractions for films like Pirates of the Caribbean, this is the first time it has created a movie featuring the entire park. Magic Kingdom sounds like Disney's derivative answer to Fox's Night at the Museum franchise, but the signing of Favreau to helm continues an interesting direction that the studio is going in under Rich Ross and Sean Bailey. They are making a concerted effort to draw A-list talent to the studio.
It's a few days old and didn't see anything about it here... Not sure what I think about it, but any time a theme park is on the tube, I'm at least a little interested...

Melanie
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Hmmm. I don't know. I do like Jon Favreau though.

I haven't read them (my son has), but the whole MK coming to life at night sounds like the Kingdom Keepers books?

BriarRose0708
11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I haven't read them (my son has), but the whole MK coming to life at night sounds like the Kingdom Keepers books?

My thoughts exactly.

ibrowse17
11-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Sounds interesting. Let's see what may come from this:thumbsup:

seanyred
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
doesn't sound like a bad idea and the first thing I thought of was Kingdom Keepers, I remember the first book was pretty entertaining. The only hesitation I have is the comparisions to the 'museum' movies but we will see...

shadowden
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a great premise, if done right...

Mousemates
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Magic Kingdom sounds like Disney's derivative answer to Fox's Night at the Museum

My thoughts exactly...however, very little in entertainment these days is 100% new and unique, and if done right could be very entertaining---especially to all the people who have vacationed there.

Buttercup
12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I follow Jon Favreau on Twitter and he's been talking a lot about "Magic Kingdom" lately. Today he posted 2 pictures of himself having a tour through WDW Imagineering doing "research". There's a picture with him and Imagineer Tony Baxter standing next to some miniature versions of the stretching room paintings from HM... and another one just inside the building.

So it sounds like it's a 'go', and Jon is taking some good steps talking directly with Imagineers for the movie concept. :thumbsup: