PDA

View Full Version : Walking to Universal

Mad About Mickey
11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
We will be staying at Homewood Suites near Universal and we were wondering if it is a walkable distance from the park. We stayed at Holiday Inn Maingate last time we were there and walked to the park, which wasn't that bad of a walk. Here's hoping the crowds at IOA are low the second week of Dec :fingers:.

Mogie
11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
If you look on Google Maps it is very very close, there are 2 highways that you wouldn't be able to cross. I would call the hotel and see if they have a shuttle.

Scar
11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Actually, if you look real close on google earth, there appears to be a walkway on Universal Blvd just for that purpose. Looks to be about a mile. Call the hotel and ask them.

BowTie7
11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
If this is the Homewood Suites on American Way on the other side of I-4 from Universal, you can walk to the park. I stayed at the Four Points Sheraton very near that hotel and walked to the park. You will need to walk out to International Drive (past the Four Points Sheraton) then over to Universal Blvd. and follow it over the interstate and to the shuttle drop off lot that has an escalator up to the main walkway from the parking garage to Citywalk and the parks. There is a sidewalk the entire way and cross walk signals at all but one of the the cross traffic streets. I didn't have any trouble. Its not a scenic route but it did save the parking fee (or the hassle of a hotel shuttle.) It took me 15 minutes from the Four Point Sheraton to the main walkway. It seemed very easy to figure out where to go walking to the park, it might be a bit more confusing on where to start if you take a shuttle to the park and want to walk back. I don't remember any way to cut across the undeveloped lot to get from American Way to Universal Blvd, there may have been a fence.

Mad About Mickey
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
:mickey: Thank you all for your responses. I looked at Goggle Earth, thanks Scar, and it looked walkable. The only question I had was whether or not we would be able to get up to the walkover level since we had walked from the other direction when we there the last time. Thankfully BowTie 7 came along with the all the good stuff including the escelator up to the walkover. :mickey: