PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom's rollercoaster icon

plutosnana
11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Which of these four mountains do you think is the magic kingdom's icon?

:goofy:

BriarRose0708
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I picked Space Mountain because it's an original ride and although all three big mountains are pretty unique, I feel that it is the most recognizable. Although if I were to pick my favorite, it would definitely go to Splash!

Spang88
11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I would have to go with Space Mountain also, as I feel to even the casual Disney fan it would be their first thought. Personally, my favorite would be Splash!

Ms. Mode
11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I think it has to be Space Mnt., but my DD just loves Splash :)

btharvey
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
yes space mountain is an original ... but if we all like Splash, why not do what I did and pick Splash? :yes:

brivers222
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Space mountain because apart from the castle it's the next thing your eye stops at. Depending on what way you are coming from, it may be the first thing your eye catches!

However i would have to say my fav now is BTMR... not for the "thrill" aspect but because it was the only "mountain" that my fiancee would go on. I had to ride splash and space by myself because she is terrified of roller coasters and drops. so for the sake of having a ride partner my fav is BTMR

MOJoe
11-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Not to detract anything from the other mountains, but few things are as "iconic" as Space Mountain.

Gator
11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I went with Splash. I know that Space is huge and you can see it from outside the park and it's a mainstay. But the MK without Splash just isn't as magical. Last time I went, Splash was closed, and it just didn't feel right. Shoot, I didn't even go on Space Mt the two days I was at MK.

Evil Genius
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I think it was said best when someone noted that Space Mountain is simply iconic. It isn't the best actual RIDE of the three...however it's a classic and it's architecture really sets it apart from the rest.

Stu29573
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure that I would classify Splash as a roller coaster. It's a flume ride. It doesn't roll, it floats!;)

Mickey'sIrishPAl
11-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I picked Space Mountain because it's an original ride and although all three big mountains are pretty unique, I feel that it is the most recognizable. Although if I were to pick my favorite, it would definitely go to Splash!

My post exactly. Thanks BriarRose. :mickey:

plutosnana
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure that I would classify Splash as a roller coaster. It's a flume ride. It doesn't roll, it floats!;)
Very true,

2MuchWDFun
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Splash Mountain--Splash Mountain--Splash Mountain!
It's our family's favorite ride in WDW.:thumbsup:

It is the most "Disney" to me. It has everything--fun music, great theming,fabulous que, and a unique ride experience (log ride, roller coaster, huge drop), plus, the ride lasts a really long time. They moved many of the animals to Splash Mountain when America Sings closed (at least they did in Disneyland) so there is history, too!

Here's a bit of the history of America Sings which was where CoP was until 1974 in Disneyland;found the info on Wikipedia.

America Sings closed on Sunday, April 10, 1988. According to Alice Davis, wife of the late Marc Davis, production of Disneyland's Splash Mountain had gone way over budget and the only way to recover was to close down America Sings and use the characters from that attraction. Show sponsor Del Monte had already ended its sponsorship. The Carousel Theater sat empty and motionless for ten years. During this time, the carousel theater's external appearance was unchanged. A large sign in front of the building showed Sorcerer Mickey alongside text reading, "Sorry, we're closed to imagineer a brand new attraction." For many years guests wondered what the new attraction was going to be. For a few years, during the planned 'Disney Decade' started by Michael Eisner, a new audio-animatronic show called Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue was to open. It was to have been an outer space-themed musical-variety revue featuring a troupe of Audio-Animatronics itinerant alien musicians whose spaceship has landed in Tomorrowland. The idea was part of the original "Tomorrowland 2055" plan and was planned to open around 1994. However, Disneyland Paris, which opened in 1992, ended up costing billions of dollars, so the whole "Tomorrowland 2055" plan was scrapped due to budget considerations.
America Sings was finally replaced by Innoventions, a version of the Epcot attraction of the same name, in 1998. Most of the Audio-Animatronic animals were moved to Disneyland's Splash Mountain log flume, which opened on Disneyland's 34th anniversary on July 17, 1989.
Two Audio-Animatronics geese were taken out even before America Sings officially closed. The geese quartets in acts 1 and 2 became trios. In 1986, they had their "skin" removed, which left only a robotic skeleton, and had their heads replaced, and were used as two talkative G2 droids in the queue to Star Tours, which would open in early 1987.[5] Ironically, one of them (named G2-9T) still sings a modified "I've Been Working on the Railroad" (retitled "I've Been Working on the Same Droid").
The rock and roll stork in the finale is now used by Imagineers for training new Animatronics programmers, acting as a final exam of sorts. The remainder of the show's Audio-Animatronics were recycled.

Imagineer1981
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi picked Space Mountain since its not only iconic but its also the key icon for Tomorrowland. Splash and Big Thunder both split Frontierland and are kind of tucked in the back. You see Space Mountain from many parts of Tomorrowland and the Monorail

Grumpy Grandpa
11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Having been born in Southern CA I would have to say that the real icon is the Matahorn. I can remember going to my Grandmothers haouse and first going past the big A of Angel stadium and then a few miles down the road being able to see the Matahorn as we drove by and wishing we could go.Now I live in Florida and my wife and I are anual pass holders. Space mountain is a icon but to me it still would have to be the Matahorn.

plutosnana
11-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I thought it would be like Splash mountain but I'm thinking thats more of a traditional ride

:goofy:

Disney4us2
11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I picked Space Mt., but my favorite is Thunder Mountain.

Mousemates
11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
space mountain - its not my favorite ride, thats splash, but the iconic ride of MK is Space not Splash.

finaldynasty
11-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Hands down Space Mountain...It is iconic! This is the first coaster I try to ride when I get to MK and it is the one that is on alot of the promotional photos when you look a brochures and videos about WDW.

RedSoxFan
11-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I picked Thunder Mountain --- DH's favorite!!:mickey:

grumpyguy
11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Space mtn for sure!!!BTM is "fun",very much so
themeing is great but space is more iconic to me anyways.I don't view splash as a rollercoaster.:thumbsup:

ANG
11-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Space Mountain

RAIDER
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
The first one i thought of and voted for was Splash Mountain even though i totaly see the reasoning for Space Mountain and why its so far ahead in the poll :thumbsup:

mainemajor
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Like so many others Iconic Mt. has to be Space Mountain, but by far fvorite is Splash Mt.

joonyer
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Since an "icon" is a pictorial representation/symbol of something, easily recognizable by those familiar with what it represents, there is no question that the icon of the magic Kingdom is the castle. It fact it (Cindy's or Sleeping Beauty's) the icon of Disney's whole empire.

But of the rides mentioned, Space Mountain is by far the past "iconic". Many more people would recognize the exterior of Space Mountain with its futuristic cone shape and spires, than would recognize the the dead tree stump on top of Splash Mountain. And being at the back of the park doesn't help. That being said, Splash Mountain is our family's favorite attraction in all of WDW by far.

dumbo ears
11-16-2010, 01:27 AM
no doubt its space mountain. great ride

Kaps
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Has to be SM. We went there 4 times last week and got on twice. The other two times it was broke down all day??? Thought a refurb would help the breakdowns guess not. It still is the best one there but I do like Splash mountain which is not a real coaster.

PrettyMinnie
11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Space Mountain!

Zawadi
11-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I chose BTMR.

Being 6ft tall - find it difficult to sit in the Space Mountain seats, so don't ride it very often. (The Paris one is much more friendly for taller people)

Although I like Splash, I don't consider it a rollercoaster.

CU Tiger
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
By the question, Space Mtn is the true Icon due to its' look and being one of the only indoor roller coasters when it was opened, I really think Splash is more unique, but the average Joe would think Space before Splash.:mickey:

MickeyandTink
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

I went with Space Mountain as well. It's one of my favorite memories from my first trip to WDW in '83.

However, I would have to say Splash is now also my favorite.

iluvdumbo
12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd say Splash :D

SpecJoe Magic
12-03-2010, 05:11 AM
I was the 100th vote for Space Mountain. Needless to say, it has quite the lead.

I daresay that Space Mountain is nearly as iconic as Cinderella Castle. I personally don't think it's a fantastic attraction, but it's good fun and very memorable. Also, the look and location of it complements the Contemporary very well and provides a beautiful view from the monorail and surrounding area.

I actually like Splash Mountain the best out of all of the choices, but I don't feel that it has the classic, iconic status that Space Mountain has achieved. Besides, it's not a roller coaster anyway.