PDA

View Full Version : How do you save money for your trip?

Belster
11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
We all have our little ways of saving money for our WDW trips....

How do you save money for your trip?

faline
11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
In the past, we would open a savings account just to save money for our Disney trips. I still remember walking down to the bank on paydays to transfer money into the passbook account and being happy to see the amount growing pay period by pay period!

Folks have reported doing a variety of things:
Throwing loose change in a can or jar
Having garage sales
Buying Disney gift cards

Do whatever works for you!

Dopey's Girl
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I do a few things...I save change and $1 bills (that adds up), I also do my version of Bank of America's save the difference. Every time I use my debit card, I round up to the nearest dollar, and transfer the difference into my savings account. I keep track on a spreadsheet (yes I'm that crazy) so I know what to transfer, and how much I have saved. It works out pretty well!

I also book out ahead enough, so I can pay things off before I go. I also try to avoid putting anything on a credit card. It helps me keep my spending better in check!

princessjojo
11-08-2010, 07:12 PM
In the past, we were jar savers. Admittedly, DH was much better than I. We still do this and it pays for a part of our trip, but since we use debit cards for so much now there's less pocket change. Last year, I opened another account at our credit union. I have 10% per paycheck deposited there. I don't have any checks for that account and it isn't tied to any of our other accounts, so it's almost like a rogue account. I do have a debit card, but I keep it in the bottom of my DH's loose change jar.

We also use our Disney Visa to pay many of our monthly bills and pay that off every month. Amazingly, little-by-little it adds up. Now if we could pay the house and car with it, then we'd really be in business....

Daisy'sMom
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
We saved all of our change and had a savings account. At the end of each month,after the bills had been paid, we would put 30% of what was left in that account. The rest would be put in another savings. I am so glad that DH knew and still knows how to make a dime a dollar. We've been blessed. We were fortunate enough to go to Disney at least once a year if not more. Now we are back in FL and go at least once a month. I just returned from a week there with family members while DH had court dates. (attorney).:mickey:

DizneyRox
11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Put more on my Disney VIsa. The past few trips, we've paid for "incidentals" with the Disney Rewards. That includes tickets, souvies, food, etc. We'll probably have a ton next time, we're at least a couple years away at this point. We maybe should switch to a non Disney rewards card... Hmmmmmm

NH Disneyfan
11-09-2010, 05:37 AM
We believe in "family experiences" over things. With this approach, the priority of taking a family vacation wins and we just pay for it like any other expense - but there are less other expenses because of how we live.

We also monitor expenses and buy early. Airlines - when I find my target price I book it - sometimes almost a year early. We bought DVC last year because the value made sense for us. We schedule trips to most effectively use tickets (this year we're getting annual passes for two trips and saving hundreds).

For me it isn't a matter of whether or not we'll go, it is about finding the right price so we can comfortably afford the family vacation.

JROriole8Fan
11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Most of the suggestions are really just tricking yourself and accumulating cash, collecting change, rounding up, etc. The rebate plans , while paying off the balance every month is a great way to accumulate vacation money. The other best ways are to actually not spend on specific things and place that money aside. Many times we specifically do not order alcohol or sodas when eating out, just drinking water. We calculate the savings and put that money aside. You can go without buying the cup of $4 bucks a day, save that. Take your lunch, calculate and put that aside. We also find that we give Disney gift cards for presents. if we don't have good ideas for birthdays and christmas. Hope these help