PDA

View Full Version : Week 10 The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Greenlawler
11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
As the winners of the Randy Moss sweepstakes :secret:. I took it upon myself to start this week even though the Titans had the bye week.

The Good: Everything fell into place for the Titans. Randy Moss, if (and that is a big if) he can do what he did in New England, and open up the offense will be a perfect fit for a team that lost Britt for four weeks. I do love the fact that people are actually noticing the Titans. On the field things went about as well as one could hope. Colts, Texans, and Patriots lose. The Dolphins lost but at this point I would have rather seen the Ravens go down. However things cleared up for the Titans a bit. If only the Jets had not comeback.

The Bad: The Lions late game incomplete pass that ensured the Jets comeback.

The Ugly: Once again the officiating was horrid. Tons of blown calls. The unsportsmanlike call on the Eagles on the Collie hit, and the clock opperator's mind freeze after the Sanchez touchdown in Detroit were just two. Of course both of those teams won anyways.

AFC fans, your teams better win thier divisions. Things are crowded for the wild card.

JanetMegan
11-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Good-Falcons won a good fought game here at home against the Bucs.

Bad-Man I wanted the Cardinals to pull out that win.

Ugly-COWBOYS-man that was Ug-ly!

Ian
11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
The Good: Despite the best efforts of everyone involved, the Eagles managed an important win against a tough, tough AFC opponent.

The Bad: Still too many penalties. I don't understand how a team coached by a guy who's all about discipline and taking a businesslike approach to the game can play so undisciplined and so un-businesslike. And really ... if Jason Peters takes one more false start penalty, I'm going to drive to the Nova Care complex and bench him myself! :mad:

The Ugly: The officiating. Quite honestly, this was one of the most pathetic displays of officiating I've ever seen. I won't try to claim that the refs were trying to influence the outcome of the game because I truly don't believe that goes on, but boy ... at times you could have fooled me. The Eagles just got crushed with one brutal penalty after another.

Now look ... I recognize that the Eagles were just under the microscope for the hit on the kid from the Falcons and I also realize that they typically commit a lot of penalties, so the refs are keeping an eye on them a little bit more.

But really, it's not like they have a reputation of being a dirty team with a lot of dirty players or something! There were three calls that went against the Eagles that were borderline outrageous. The first two everyone knows about ... the hit on Colie was bad not once, but twice! First off, that was clearly a fumble and it should have been Eagles' ball. Second, it was not a hit on a defenseless receiver!! Colie caught the ball and took two and a half steps before he got hit and he was the one who initiated the helmet-to-helmet hit! He lowered his shoulder and went in head first to the collision! Terrible ... just terrible.

But the hit on Manning that drew the roughing the passer call was just offensive. If that's truly the level to which the NFL wants to protect the quarterback I think it's time to reconsider whether or not I want to be involved with this sport. The point at which a QB getting brushed on his helmet warrants a 15 yard penalty is seriously the point at which you have to question if this sport can continue as viable.

Ian
11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Ugly-COWBOYS-man that was Ug-ly!Disagree ... that was a thing of beauty!! :number1:

JanetMegan
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I didn't say I didn't enjoy it ;) I just said it was Ug-ly!

Pagan
11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
The Good: Not a thing. Dan Henning needs to be fired ASAP. Worst playcaller in Dolphins' history.

The Bad: Everything. This team has too much talent to be losing the way they are.

The Ugly: The Lions basically handing the game to the Jets. Stupid late hit out of bounds, stupid pass on 3rd down instead of running out the clock. Stupid decision to let a defensive lineman kick the extra point when the kicker was hurt (that basically cost them the game). Hey Lions coaching staff...how about letting - oh I don't know - the PUNTER who has experience kicking a football try for the XP?

Now we know why the Lions will never be a good team.

gueli
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
The Good: we win. The patriots lose. The Dolphins choke against a much better team. It was a nice 4th qtr comeback, where everything fell into place. Shows that sanchez can get it done when he is down, a nice confidence builder.

The Bad : most of the game our offense was out of step, blowing things- fumbling, etc. We should have won this game quite handily if the offense doesn't screw up. But they did, and we still managed a win.
also- detroit did not hand the game to the jets. They made mistakes. but once we were in our 2 minute drill, they did not have an answer.
continuing- channing crowder...WHAaaaaa.
on the collie hit : Ian you are wrong. Collie was being tackled, in the NFL now, you have to pull up, hit him with your chest. As the defensive player, you have to not attack his head. The eagles player should be fined the same as harrison of the steelers. Peroid.

The Ugly: Dalas cowboys. not that they dont deserve this, but they have stopped playing. The refs.

Now to me, the thing of beauty was the crushing loss of the patriots.
also- the pack offense - shows what it can do when not playing the Jets ( which I will argue that their offense only got 1 of the 3 field goals against the Jets D...not that we wouldnt have lost because we could not do anything right against their defense )

Go Jets

Ian
11-08-2010, 01:06 PM
on the collie hit : Ian you are wrong. Collie was being tackled, in the NFL now, you have to pull up, hit him with your chest. As the defensive player, you have to not attack his head. The eagles player should be fined the same as harrison of the steelers. Peroid.#1, the only player who lowered their head and lead with their helmet was Austin Colie. Go watch the YouTube video. It's clear that everyone else was aiming to hit with shoulders.

#2, that rule only applies to defenseless receivers!! Colie was NOT defenseless. He had caught the ball, turned, and taken 2-3 steps upfield, thus becoming (in essence) a running back! And running backs/non-defenseless receivers are not subject to that rule.

It was a bad call that was made simply due to the result of the play and not the actions of the defenders. If Colie immediately gets up and walks away from that collision there is no flag.

And ultimately, you've got to consider intent with these calls. No Eagle left his feet. No Eagle speared Colie. No Eagle intentionally aimed right at his head intending to make helmet-to-helmet contact to try and injure him.

It's FOOTBALL. It's inherently violent game. Sometimes bad things are going to happen. The NFL has got to change these rules so intent is a consideration. You can't throw a flag every time someone gets hurt. It's absurd.

Pagan
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
also- detroit did not hand the game to the jets. They made mistakes. but once we were in our 2 minute drill, they did not have an answer.
Bro, stop being a homer. Detroit corrects ANY of the things I mentioned and you go home with a loss.

They run the ball on that 3rd and 6 and you have less than a minute and no time outs deep in your own territory. As it was with 1:46 AND a stupid unnecessary roughness penalty you were barely in FG range.

And as for Sanchez "getting it done," you sound like Gus Johnson in that game saying Sanchez "marched the Jets to the tying FG."

I never knew three dumpoff passes to Tomlinson, a 9 yard completion to Keller, and a few runs aided by a 15 yard penalty was Sanchez "marching" them down the field.

Joe Montana, watch out.

Don't get me wrong, you guys are 6-2 and should be happy, but sooner or later someone's gunna pull the rug out from under you. The last three games the Jets have been awful, and somehow Denver and Detroit figured out a way to gift wrap the games for you. You guys play like that against any decent team and it's gunna be ugly.

At least I know my team is bad. C'mon bro, admit your team is lucky.

Now let me go prepare myself for the whippin' the Titans are gunna lay on us next week. ;)

gueli
11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I have watched the video on the nfl site. at speed, he catches the ball in stride, the one eagle grabs him, as the other comes charging in and makes helmet to helmet mash of collies brain. this is all in under 1 to 2 seconds of real time.

The enforcement of the helmet to helmet hit is simple. called correctly on the field. as per the
commishoner- in his talks with harris of the steelers- it does not matter what the intention is. If the DEFENSIVE player makes helmet to helmet contact then it is that players fault. peroid the end. weather or not the d player is head hunting is irrelevant (by the way the steelers guy did not leave his feet, unlike the patriots player).
as for your argument that he took 2 steps- he was running. if the ball missed him, he would have still had been in stride. he does not become a running back at that point, as in real time - he doesnt have the time to do anything. the video of him catching the ball shows him running and the eagles colliding with him. one makes helmet to helmet contact. That is = to $$$$$ fine. properly called by the refs.

diz_girl
11-08-2010, 03:46 PM
But the hit on Manning that drew the roughing the passer call was just offensive. If that's truly the level to which the NFL wants to protect the quarterback I think it's time to reconsider whether or not I want to be involved with this sport. The point at which a QB getting brushed on his helmet warrants a 15 yard penalty is seriously the point at which you have to question if this sport can continue as viable.

I think we all know that a roughing the passer call gets called more often depending on the identity of the passer, rather than the severity of the hit, and Manning (and Brady too, among one or two others) is one of those passers.

gueli
11-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Bro, stop being a homer... Detroit corrects ANY of the things I mentioned and you go home with a loss... that 3rd and 6 and you have less than a minute and no time outs deep in your own territory. As it was with 1:46 AND a stupid unnecessary roughness penalty you were barely in FG range...And as for Sanchez "getting it done," you sound like Gus Johnson in that game saying Sanchez "marched the Jets to the tying FG."

oh so detroit made all those plays. I see. sanchez did not make any correct calls. talk about a fish homer, PLUEeease.
But I will say this, shoulda coulda woulda. If weatherford last week does not make that fake punt play, then the pack does not score early. how does that affect the game.

The jets at 1 point in the season should have run the ball, but they made a pass (vikings game), next thing you know they punt. favre gets the ball, but the JETS make a play and secure the win. All detroit had to do was make 1 play on D. they did not. Sanchez threw the ball. it was caught, the Jets moved up the field and WON the game.

Timely throws to the right people. Remember, when the hit on LT occured, the jets had plenty of time to continue doing what they were doing. Also remember sanchez and the Jets marched the team for a score the previous series. if they were down by 4, the last play would not have been a run, they would have been going for the endzone, and detroit at that point was unable to stop them. Sanchez read the D right and compleated the throws he needed to.

[QUOTE=Pagan;2117534]
Joe Montana, watch out.

:D LOL dude LOL

but seriously- at this point do you want chad henne with his 20 or so INTs or sanchez making some smart calls, and blowing others ?

At least I know my team is bad. C'mon bro, admit your team is lucky.

Now let me go prepare myself for the whippin' the Titans are gunna lay on us next week. ;)

My team is lucky. :thumbsup:
they are also good.
there have been zero blowout losses.
we lost by 1 and by 9.

The offense has stunk for 3 games now, and we won 2 of them. I'll Take it

Go Jets :number1:

Pagan
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Sanchez read the D right and compleated the throws he needed to.
I'm not going to go into all the rest, but bro...he didn't read anything. I was watching the game. It was a 3 step drop, dump off the Tomlinson THREE times. Designed play all the way. Obviously Schotty saw that the Lions were soft against that.

The pass to Keller was also no read. Three steps and the ball was out.

Like I said, a win is a win. But I'm not about to crown the Jets a good team until they beat someone who is good. We beat the Packers, but I'm not about to say we're a good team. Dolphins were a bad call against the Steelers away from having one less win than the Jets, but I know I'd be fooling myself to think they're anything special.

Talking about Henne vs. Sanchez...I know Henne isn't the answer, but the way the media is anointing him the chosen one is ridiculous.

As for the "no blowout losses" thing. a loss is a loss. You got shut out at home by a team with an injury-depleted defense. IIWII, ya know?

You guys are definitely getting the bounces going your way this year.

gueli
11-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not going to go into all the rest, but bro...he didn't read anything. I was watching the game. It was a 3 step drop, dump off the Tomlinson THREE times. Designed play all the way. Obviously Schotty saw that the Lions were soft against that.

As for the "no blowout losses" thing. a loss is a loss. You got shut out at home by a team with an injury-depleted defense. IIWII, ya know?

You guys are definitely getting the bounces going your way this year.

Yup. We have had the bounces.

We did get shut out. we played a team with a good d. They brought in a few guys (inckluding an ex jet line man) to fill their holes. They did not play with injuries, but fresh bodies. But we still stunk on offense. again- when you see what their offense can do, I appreciate what the Jets D does to every team it faces.

Just like a read is a read. So if shotty threw the ball then it would still be a read. if sanchez doent do the right thing then the ball doesnt go to the right player.
You keep talking about the game tying drive without acknowledging the drive before it or after. Sanchez read the d correctly at that point in the game. He threw the ball to his players, so they could make plays. Everyone is ready to 'kill' him when he screws up and no one is ready to say he did a good job when he did. Even though he shoulders the blame on the losses (as he should).

by the way what is "IIWII, ya know " ???

but again, unless you choose to, you do not have to say the Jets are a good team. Their record, and if they make it to the playoffs will decide that.

Go Jets:number1:

Pagan
11-08-2010, 04:54 PM
by the way what is "IIWII, ya know " ???
LOL...that means "it is what it is".

but again, unless you choose to, you do not have to say the Jets are a good team. Their record, and if they make it to the playoffs will decide that.
Yes it will. ;)

gueli
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
LOL...that means "it is what it is".

Ohhh. LOL.

good luck next week. By the way do you think randy will have a big impact on sunday?
:thumbsup:
:cheers:

oh one last thing- gosh those bills are playing way to well to not win a game or 2 soon.

Go Jets (lets beat the mangenious' team)
:number1:

Greenlawler
11-09-2010, 01:49 AM
I think we all know that a roughing the passer call gets called more often depending on the identity of the passer, rather than the severity of the hit, and Manning (and Brady too, among one or two others) is one of those passers.

Correct but still wrong. It drives me crazy!!!!! How they protect Precious Peyton. Guys like Vick and Vince get hammered every week, and no call. The Titans get one roughing call a game and never have I seen the same exact level of "hit" called against our opponents.

Oh and the Collie hit was clearly a bad call. Why or how anyone with a clear mind could see it any other way is beyond me......Even the announcers who walk a fine line stated the obvious.

Ian
11-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Oh and the Collie hit was clearly a bad call. Why or how anyone with a clear mind could see it any other way is beyond me......Even the announcers who walk a fine line stated the obvious.Yep, as did the NFL. They issued no fines or suspensions for the hit and essentially said, "Probably shouldn't have been called because the helmet to helmet contact was unintentional and the caused by Colie himself lowering his head after he was driven forward by a legal tackle from Quintin Mikell."

They gave the refs a pass, though, because they've been told, "to err on the side of safety."

I haven't heard a single person besides guels and outrageous Colts homers who thought that should have drawn a flag.

gueli
11-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Yep, as did the NFL...
I haven't heard a single person besides guels and outrageous Colts homers who thought that should have drawn a flag.

well then I am wrong.

and the bengals fall just a little short...

Greenlawler
11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
well then I am wrong.

and the bengals fall just a little short...

Much respect for that....

Pagan
11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Allow me to post my bad AND ugly for this coming week.

The Dolphins have announced the benching of Chad Henne and named Chad Pennington the starter against the Titans.

This REEKS of desperation, and will probably damage Henne's development, as well as removing the deep pass as a viable option for the offense.

Please Goddess...fire Sparano, Ireland, and the entire coaching staff and give us Cowher and compensation....

Greenlawler
11-11-2010, 01:54 AM

The Dolphins have announced the benching of Chad Henne and named Chad Pennington the starter against the Titans.

This REEKS of desperation, and will probably damage Henne's development, as well as removing the deep pass as a viable option for the offense.

Please Goddess...fire Sparano, Ireland, and the entire coaching staff and give us Cowher and compensation....

Pennington has had some good outings against the Titans.

gueli
11-11-2010, 04:43 AM

You know, it is desperation. Sparano is trying to kick start his team and keep his job. The problem with a sanchez or a henne is consistancy (not that I have seen henne play this year). As far as damaging henne's development- you should not worry- because if he cant take a benching and come back and play hard, hes not the QB you want anyway.

As far as cowher, you might have a chance....
Hey maybe you guys can go after rex's brother rob - talk about a great rivalry :D

Pagan
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Pennington has had some good outings against the Titans.
I'm sure he'll play well down the stretch, the rest of the schedule after this week isn't that bad. The problem is that Penny has NO arm strength left, so the deep ball is now gone. Also, he has a track record of doing well in the regular season and collapsing in the playoffs. So what is the best case scenario? We win a bunch of games, then get blown out in the 1st round of the playoffs and are left with a lousy draft pick.

The other boneheaded move yesterday...release CB Jason Allen, and sign has-been CB Al Harris, coming off an injury where he tore THREE ligaments in the same knee. Nice.

At least now the Phins lead the league in that coveted category of "Most Players With Ridiculously Long Dreadlocks."

*sigh*

Hey maybe you guys can go after rex's brother rob - talk about a great rivalry :D
LOL...wouldn't that just make the AFC East the most interesting division in football!?

gueli
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm sure he'll play well down the stretch.... The problem is that Penny has NO arm strength left, so the deep ball is now gone...
The other boneheaded move yesterday...release CB Jason Allen, and sign has-been CB Al Harris...
*sigh*
LOL...wouldn't that just make the AFC East the most interesting division in football!?

Penny, because he is rested will not look so bad. The real concern is injury.
I do not get the al harris move... if they wanted a guy to coach, then hire him as a coach.

My comment about the ryans - yeah it would continue to make the AFC east a most ineterseting place. But I was serious- I view it as a combo of what rob ryan has done with the browns D, rex's "success" , etc. I think anyone who is looking at the head coachs Job really should give Rob a look.
I think it would be great ! :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
11-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Good: Good job for the ref's, there wasn't a flag until the middle of the second quarter I believe. Lot different that last week. And the two reviews were good (I still don't think 100% that the catch in the endzone was a complete catch, but whatever...)

Great: Atlanta as a team. Great defense for three and a half quarters. Let up when we went up 20-7 like they always seem to do anymore.

Perfect: Matt Ryan. Best game of his NFL career, by far.

What a great game though. The first half was a slug fest by the lines, and the fourth quarter was all flash by both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. I like both teams (Atlanta first, Baltimore third) and I have Boldin on my fantasy team, so tonight was very tough. But we pulled it out!!!

JanetMegan
11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
It was a good game-I enjoyed being out West watching (I'm in Phoenix this week) since it was all over by 9:45 Arizona time. So glad the Falcons pulled it, I was worried but Ryan did a fantastic job!

Melanie
11-13-2010, 01:02 PM

No, no. Cowher is a Carolina man - he lives in NC, his daughters are in NC. PLEASE let him go to the Panthers. We need him more than you! :D

Notice I never post on these threads anymore. That's because there is only UGLY for my Panthers this year. ;)