PDA

View Full Version : Peanut, nut allergies

CanadaLovesDisney
11-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Has anyone flown Delta (or any other airline) with a severe peanut nut allergy? If so were you concerned with peanut "dust". The only flight we can get during the week we want the free dining will be serving nuts... Thinking of using a mask.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks so much!:mickey:

sassafras
11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't have a peanut allergy. However, a year or so ago, I was on a SW flight and they started their snack service. They had almost all the packets of peanuts handed out when the stewardess announced rather suddenly "don't open your peanuts. We will be picking them back up and replacing them with cookies since we have a passenger with a peanut allergy!" So, I think if you check with the airline, they can serve some other type of snack on that flight. Can't hurt to check into it!

Mickey'sGirl
11-08-2010, 09:12 AM
We had a similar situation on an Air Canada flight, where people in the immediate vacinity to the person with the allergy were given alternatives. I think the way the PP's airline handled it was much better!!

I would make sure that I told every Airline representative from check in all the way through boarding that I had a severe peanut allergy. Good luck with everything!!

spoonfulosugar
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
2 of my children have peanut allergies-I always bring travel clorox wipes and wipe down the arm rest, tray tables, seat belt buckles, etc. before I let them sit down. Even if your flight isn't serving peanuts, another one prior to your might have. This doesn't guarantee anything, but it is a little extra precaution. You can tell them asap and see what they can do for you. They don't want anyone going into shock during the flight, so I'm guessing they'll be understanding. If my boys were surrounded by people eating nuts on a plane, I would be a wreck.

LVT
11-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Maybe wearing a mask will short-circuit the hazard of touching some with peanut dust and then touching the mouth or the food or gum you are about to ingest.

brystonmama1975
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I watched the episode of undercover boss where they showed the guy help "clean" the plane. I don't think it was really cleaning and it seemed to me if any peanut dust or oils were around they didn't even touch it. I plan on taking handy wipes and wiping down the arms of my DD's chair and mine. Thankfully she isn't affected by dust in air but skin contact starts a reaction. I will have her Epipen too as a security blanket but hopefully won't need it. Some airlines don't announce allergies since it is claiming liability. I don't want special treatment just want them aware just in case of cross contamination.

MomTo3Tiggers
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Personally, I won't fly Delta because they serve peanuts and last I talked to them they won't make any changes. However, we've never had a problem on the other airlines we fly. A co-worker of my husband's did have a problem with their child on a flight because everyone basically opened their bag at once and it put too much into the air.

Call Delta and see if they're willing to make a change. If not, I would consider the mask.